Superstore cakes?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2019 10:02 am
Tags:
Jun 12, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote

Superstore cakes?

Has anyone tried cakes from superstore? Please share your experience.
Also please suggest some places to buy cakes in Vancouver that are not costly. I want to buy a cake for birthday but the bakeries are costly for me to buy one.
27 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
What kind ...
Sheet / Slab Cakes
Layer Cakes
Or Specialty Cakes (Black Forest - Mocha - Carrot Cake etc)

Had them all from various stores in the PC+ Loblaws Group
All decent
Although I definitely prefer the Specialty Cakes, Best are fresh made in store, but the ones that are shipped in by Farmers Market or La Rocca Bakery are yummy too
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3948 posts
1380 upvotes
Vancouver
I love the Whole Foods lemon cake with cream cheese icing. It's a 12" one I think and it's $20 or so. Serves probably 6-8 people.

And can't go wrong with a Costco tuxedo cake! That's $16.99
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I like Sobeys care better any other grocery store cakes. The icing is definitely different, not overly sweet and the cake itself is really good.
For a big crowd I usually get a Costco cake for about $20 that I would then decorate myself.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
ckay1980 wrote: I like Sobeys care better any other grocery store cakes. The icing is definitely different, not overly sweet and the cake itself is really good.
For a big crowd I usually get a Costco cake for about $20 that I would then decorate myself.
I dont like sobeys cake, the icing isnt icing, its whipped cream. I like loblaws cakes, if I am eating cake I want real icing.
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
T&T Supermarket. They are OK and not that pricy.
They have price and style on their website, make sure you select BC, not Ontario.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Sep 30, 2004
735 posts
125 upvotes
Markham
I find Longos cakes good.

Prices are ok.

My second choice would be Loblaws.

If you are look for cheap and not picky - Costco.
Dec 12, 2005
984 posts
398 upvotes
Richmond
+1 on Whole Foods

If you order at least 1 day in advance for T&T and St. Germaine, you can get 10% discount.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Since you're in Vancouver, check out Vancouver Community College Downtown.
They have a full pastry program there that sells everything they make including cakes.
You can get a *GASP* real cake made with *GASP* BUTTERcream (not "icing") for not very much money.
The downside is that it's as is so there's no custom decorating and it's first come first serve.
But they're damn delicious since they're made with real ingredients.

I've shamelessly bought a few cakes to eat while on break.

I don't recall exact pricing, but everything there is stupidly cheap, especially when it's a day or two old and 50% off.

safnoah wrote: Has anyone tried cakes from superstore? Please share your experience.
Also please suggest some places to buy cakes in Vancouver that are not costly. I want to buy a cake for birthday but the bakeries are costly for me to buy one.
PointsHubby wrote: Had them all from various stores in the PC+ Loblaws Group
All decent
Really? I would 100% disagree with this.
Now... I don't eat (or read) them often, but the last time I looked it was all artificial crap.
That'd be like the 3rd last place I'd ever consider buying a cake.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I dont like sobeys cake, the icing isnt icing, its whipped cream. I like loblaws cakes, if I am eating cake I want real icing.
Whipped cream frosting is far superior to buttercream. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to buy my next one from Sobeys.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
Chickinvic wrote: Whipped cream frosting is far superior to buttercream. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to buy my next one from Sobeys.
its not frosting, it tastes and has the consistency just like whipped cream.
Got that FIDO account!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
PointsHubby wrote: What kind ...
Sheet / Slab Cakes
Layer Cakes
Or Specialty Cakes (Black Forest - Mocha - Carrot Cake etc)

Had them all from various stores in the PC+ Loblaws Group
All decent
Although I definitely prefer the Specialty Cakes, Best are fresh made in store, but the ones that are shipped in by Farmers Market or La Rocca Bakery are yummy too
death_hawk wrote: Since you're in Vancouver, check out Vancouver Community College Downtown.
They have a full pastry program there that sells everything they make including cakes.
You can get a *GASP* real cake made with *GASP* BUTTERcream (not "icing") for not very much money.
The downside is that it's as is so there's no custom decorating and it's first come first serve.
But they're damn delicious since they're made with real ingredients.

I've shamelessly bought a few cakes to eat while on break.

I don't recall exact pricing, but everything there is stupidly cheap, especially when it's a day or two old and 50% off.

Really? I would 100% disagree with this.
Now... I don't eat (or read) them often, but the last time I looked it was all artificial crap.
That'd be like the 3rd last place I'd ever consider buying a cake.
You're my spirit animal!

Although I do like the Loblaws cakes. They're my favourite slab cake - birthday cake type cake (I can't stand the custard filling that Costco and seemingly everyone else does)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
RE - Buttercream Frosting

True Buttercream Frosting is made from good ingredients.
Icing Sugar, Butter, a wee bit of vanilla (or other flavouring), and perhaps a dribble of milk
I watched my Mom make it countless times as a kid, and it’s definitely the go to here at home
It’s super easy to make... but not necessarily cheap, due to the QUALITY & QUANTITY of the ingredients used
(1/3 to 1/2 bag icing sugar + 1/3 to 1/2 block of butter, to ice a layer cake)

Most of the slab cakes ... Loblaws included will make their icing replacing shortening (Crisco) for the butter
This gives the icing a “greasier” taste / consistency
But it’s cheaper

Other icings ... made with real whip cream have a whole other level of flavour & consistency
And PRICE

Like I said, in my lifetime I have ate them all
Slab Cakes being the norm at many functions I have attended
It’s not highend, but still makes a good dessert

Worst of the bunch IMO isn’t even any of these
It’s frosting in a can
That stuff is just pure nasty
And strictly a convenience item for folks who have no idea how to make Buttercream
I have shown my own kids how to, and many of their friends over the years
They are always amazed at truly how simple it is to do
And well... taste wise, there is no comparison
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Superstore cakes r awful. If u r on a budget, go there around 9pm as there may be 30% stickers on items nearing expiry date.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I would recommend the local small, old time bakeries but they're all shutting down. There was Bon Ton on Victoria between 41st and 43rd but not sure i it's there any more. The new ones are nice but they have to pay the rent (and wages) hence high prices.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
2194 posts
2395 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I haven't eaten Superstore's cakes in the last 10+ years because I've always thought of them as the worst supermarket chain to get bakery items from. I've tried a handful of cakes from Save on Foods and thought they were good for supermarket standards. Last week, I bought their 1.4kg black forest cake for $14.99 and it was pretty legit. The chocolate cake was moist, whipped cream was real, and cherry filling was noticeably there. It actually tasted homemade!

(Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but if anyone knows of a bakery in Vancouver that sells really good black forest cake, please let me know. I'm not looking for Asian-style or fancy $10/slice stuff. Just the real deal black forest cake like I remember from my childhood....with a noticeable amount of alcohol in it.)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21267 posts
6255 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Does any supermarket make cakes in store?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Angel Girl wrote: i
(Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but if anyone knows of a bakery in Vancouver that sells really good black forest cake, please let me know. I'm not looking for Asian-style or fancy $10/slice stuff. Just the real deal black forest cake like I remember from my childhood....with a noticeable amount of alcohol in it.)
Most of the German bakers have disappeared. There was a time that Robson St (a.k.a. robsonstrasse) had German konditereis, notably one right on the NW corner of Robson/Burrard. All the ones in East Van have also disappeared. Even the ones in Kelowna (at least to - my wife's father built the counters and cabinets for one of them) are very uninspired (just offer generic Canadian/North American items) these days. Either try asking the German club on Victoria Drive, or get your hands on the German newspaper and see who advertises (maybe better luck in Ontario).
sandikosh wrote: Does any supermarket make cakes in store?
Save-On supposedly does. My wife has ordered cakes from them (not much choice where we are).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Angel Girl wrote: (Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but if anyone knows of a bakery in Vancouver that sells really good black forest cake, please let me know. I'm not looking for Asian-style or fancy $10/slice stuff. Just the real deal black forest cake like I remember from my childhood....with a noticeable amount of alcohol in it.)
As I mentioned above, check out VCC.
I'm not sure how "noticeable" the alcohol is, but we did put Kirsch in it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)