• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 4:28 pm
[OP]
Jul 4, 2018
509 posts
448 upvotes

Calgary investment from Toronto

Hi

Can any of you post your opinions or suggestions or any experience you have with Calgary detached house. Investment?
I live in Toronto, and I have no one in Calgary to take care of.

Property details:

New build from Mattamy
2050 sft 36 ft lot for 560,000 including all upgrades
Closing summer 2022
Deposit : 40,000

1. Is it practical to depend on Property managers for everything from house repairs, installs, tenant search etc
2: any good property managers?
3. Overall Calgary economy and future prospects
9 replies
Jun 25, 2015
242 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why detached go townhome route. same square footage same rentability more affordable less upkeep
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2434 posts
1485 upvotes
Calgary
Lavaris1 wrote: Hi

Can any of you post your opinions or suggestions or any experience you have with Calgary detached house. Investment?
I live in Toronto, and I have no one in Calgary to take care of.

Property details:

New build from Mattamy
2050 sft 36 ft lot for 560,000 including all upgrades
Closing summer 2022
Deposit : 40,000

1. Is it practical to depend on Property managers for everything from house repairs, installs, tenant search etc
2: any good property managers?
3. Overall Calgary economy and future prospects
This is actually a good deal. Carrington is nice location as well. my only caveat here would what about the basement? a property like this would rent for around 2100. I am in calgary and a property manager. PM me if you have other questions. thanks !
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2434 posts
1485 upvotes
Calgary
Aura12 wrote: Why detached go townhome route. same square footage same rentability more affordable less upkeep
You dont live in calgary do you? if you get a condo fee townhouse the biggest issue with calgary is the hail claims that ring up your premiums. Also people here generally dont like condo fees and are harder to sell afterwards.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
2227 posts
2251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I visited Calgary and there is so much land that I don't think it'll ever run out. They seem to have just built out urban sprawl. I decided against investment there as the city didn't feel vibrant. It's just not the next Toronto if that's what you are thinking.

The houses have been built without any real character and the new neighborhoods felt so crummy. Also terrible building facade, just cheap copy and paste with terrible brown colors.

Also takes forever to go anywhere because they have a million speed cameras and everybody goes the speed limit which means it takes twice as long to get anywhere (horrendously slow limits compared to other cities)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2434 posts
1485 upvotes
Calgary
WinterSleep wrote: I visited Calgary and there is so much land that I don't think it'll ever run out. They seem to have just built out urban sprawl. I decided against investment there as the city didn't feel vibrant. It's just not the next Toronto if that's what you are thinking.

The houses have been built without any real character and the new neighborhoods felt so crummy. Also terrible building facade, just cheap copy and paste with terrible brown colors.

Also takes forever to go anywhere because they have a million speed cameras and everybody goes the speed limit which means it takes twice as long to get anywhere (horrendously slow limits compared to other cities)
i was going to reply, but then i realized... my house is brown too!
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
2227 posts
2251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
masarwar wrote: i was going to reply, but then i realized... my house is brown too!
And yet you did
Jun 25, 2015
242 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto, ON
masarwar wrote: You dont live in calgary do you? if you get a condo fee townhouse the biggest issue with calgary is the hail claims that ring up your premiums. Also people here generally dont like condo fees and are harder to sell afterwards.
I'm confused I'm talking about Freehold with POTL...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2434 posts
1485 upvotes
Calgary
Aura12 wrote: I'm confused I'm talking about Freehold with POTL...
Sorry. Townhouse generally means ones with condos. Which project are you referring to? There are very few free hold townhouse projects in Calgary.
Aug 20, 2019
463 posts
296 upvotes
Think the house prices generally correlate alot with oil. Also, they don't have zoning rules. If you live there its fine, for investment probably not worthwhile.
Let the hoarding begin.....