Automotive

Calgary Police say fog is to blame for a 50 car pile-up Friday morning on Stoney Trail (video)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2018 3:39 pm
8 replies
Nov 21, 2017
962 posts
667 upvotes
Surrey BC
how the f does that happen? this is some simple ass fog. and the rest of canada laughs when vancouver gets a tiny bit of snow. hypocrites much?
Feb 19, 2012
904 posts
598 upvotes
Woodbridge
flipper316 wrote: how the f does that happen? this is some simple ass fog. and the rest of canada laughs when vancouver gets a tiny bit of snow. hypocrites much?
When there is poor visibility, many people simply drive beyond the reach of their headlights. They simply don't have the space to stop and end up piling into each other.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4492 posts
3744 upvotes
Oakville, ON
greybrick wrote: When there is poor visibility, many people simply drive beyond the reach of their headlights. They simply don't have the space to stop and end up piling into each other.
This. Add in that most people don’t turn on their full headlight system which gives the following person a bigger challenge....then mix in a couple of nervous nellies driving way too slow or even stopping and it’s no surprise that something like this happens!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8818 posts
5782 upvotes
Kootenays
greybrick wrote: When there is poor visibility, many people simply drive beyond the reach of their headlights. They simply don't have the space to stop and end up piling into each other.
This, plus I don't know if it's a western thing or it's everywhere, but I can't believe the number of cars that drive without lights on, on the highways. DRLs are fine, but they don't illuminate your tail lights. I get sick of flashing my lights at oncoming cars without even DRLs in sh*tty conditions. I'd love to have a big illuminated sign that says "IF NOT NOW, THEN WHEN?" but I have the feeling they'd have no idea what I'm talking about. People are so self centred, they think "How will lights help me when it's already light out?", not thinking that helping other traffic see you increases your own safety!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5715 posts
852 upvotes
Calgary
Most drivers do not understand driving according to road condition means.
On top of that, calgarian drivers are more rude, more aggressive, easily offended, get personal.
Edmonton is only a few hours away but the drivers are the opposite.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2164 posts
538 upvotes
In Hiding
Calgary drivers are a dream compared to those in the GTA. We need bright cars on the road - all the driver assist features don't help if you're driving behind a light grey car with no tail lights in heavy fog.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4579 posts
1522 upvotes
Vancouver
I was in Calgary in early October when they had their first big snow of the season. What a gong show on the Deerfoot #2 up by the airport. I was driving my own vehicle (AWD SUV) from BC with new-ish all seasons and had no issues but I was driving like I was in Vancouver trying to give myself buffer against the actions of others . People were tailgating, going too fast for conditions, driving with windows covered with snow. Easily on par for anything similar I've seen in Vancouver.

I have seen similar to this on the Deerfoot #2 where it crosses the Bow River on the south side of the city. The bridge there can ice up pretty quickly and while I think the locals are aware of that spot, it only takes one to start a chain reaction.

I don't find Calgary drivers much different than the drivers in any other of the large cities of Canada and I've driven in many of them. Less use of horns than the cities in the east as is the case in most of the western cities.

Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4579 posts
1522 upvotes
Vancouver
flipper316 wrote: how the f does that happen? this is some simple ass fog. and the rest of canada laughs when vancouver gets a tiny bit of snow. hypocrites much?
It is not simple ass fog. It is fog and ice, almost like black ice, that can form quite quickly from the steam coming off the river while traffic is moving over the area. People just making their morning commute like usual and it hits a certain temperature point, one person changes lanes and gets into the slippery stuff and.... boom!

It is not too unlike the conditions we get on the roads in the GVRD from an inch of wet snow that compresses into glaze ice as the temperature is falling.