Real Estate

Calgary Real Estate Market - 2021 and beyond

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2023 1:05 pm
Aug 20, 2019
505 posts
324 upvotes
Hp4041 wrote: Btw that place is way well outside the core. It’s like north of steeles in 2005 - and yes prices were same back then! But 2005 was 16 yrs ago
I'm fine with waiting for the area to develop. I'm looking long term 10-20 years... I just dont know how rental will be if I hand it off to a property management company.
Let the hoarding begin.....
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
Johntheshopper wrote: Any advice on pre-cons condos from 150s to 250s for investment purposes and rentals?

Seems too cheap for a major city to still be at this price with only a 5% down needed for purchasing and having a few years before needing to get that mortgage...

I am seeing some condos 2b+2b for 250s, just screaming value to me in the long run.
my advice on those?

RUN.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
stanleyinfrared wrote: Run to buy or run away?
Run Away. those condos are no where near the worth they are trying to sell for. especially the area.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
Johntheshopper wrote: And if I am living in them? Still run away?

What about this?

https://www.brookfieldresidential.com/n ... ned/oxford
Depends on the area. Luckily the area I am referring to isn't built yet (Minto on East Hills).

This one looks good. Price is fantastic for the area and sqft. Good deal. But I don't know if I want to buy this for rental perspective.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2018
262 posts
165 upvotes
masarwar wrote: Depends on the area. Luckily the area I am referring to isn't built yet (Minto on East Hills).

This one looks good. Price is fantastic for the area and sqft. Good deal. But I don't know if I want to buy this for rental perspective.
From your view point as a real estate professional, what areas within 30 min of drive to the downtown core (frontier of the inner city) deserve attention in light of purchasing a starter single family home?
Feb 18, 2019
16 posts
8 upvotes
Johntheshopper wrote: I'm fine with waiting for the area to develop. I'm looking long term 10-20 years... I just dont know how rental will be if I hand it off to a property management company.
That area is too far north and will likely always get 'value' tenants that cannot afford more. It will never develop to the density, and cost, you want it to.

My suggestion to anyone trying to make real estate work in Calgary is focus on areas around Foothills Medical Center, where older individuals want to live or retire, which is also close to UofC. Varsity, Dalhousie and similar are worth more simply because they are desirable with regard to proximity.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
stanleyinfrared wrote: From your view point as a real estate professional, what areas within 30 min of drive to the downtown core (frontier of the inner city) deserve attention in light of purchasing a starter single family home?
That kinda cover all of Calgary. I live in upper NE and downtown is 25 mins. Are you looking at buying for yourself or investing as a rental? Buying for yourself will have different parameters (schools, community access, recreation spots etc).

For rental I have dealth with every quadrant and you can make rentals work every where as long as it is a detached or semi detached with up and down potential.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2018
262 posts
165 upvotes
That kinda cover all of Calgary. I live in upper NE and downtown is 25 mins. Are you looking at buying for yourself or investing as a rental? Buying for yourself will have different parameters (schools, community access, recreation spots etc).

For rental I have dealth with every quadrant and you can make rentals work every where as long as it is a detached or semi detached with up and down potential.
I heard that drive times are often underestimated. For example, it may take more than an hour to get to downtown from deep suburbs when the weather is bad and/or during rush hours.

I am looking to buy for myself. Looking at the area enclosed by Southland Dr in the south extending to Riverbend / Ogden in the east and on the west of Deerfoot up to Thorncliff and Dalhousie in the north. The western boundary is Signal Hill and Strathcona Park (although I would prefer to stay on the east of the Sarcee Trail). Are there any neighborhoods in my search area that do not have good accessibility (in terms of access to highways and traffic)? Any neighborhoods that are perceived as not desirable but that, in your opinion, have a good potential in the future? Looking for input from Calgarians as it is hard to learn some things just by researching online unless you live in the city.
May 10, 2020
792 posts
1016 upvotes
stanleyinfrared wrote: I heard that drive times are often underestimated. For example, it may take more than an hour to get to downtown from deep suburbs when the weather is bad and/or during rush hours.

I am looking to buy for myself. Looking at the area enclosed by Southland Dr in the south extending to Riverbend / Ogden in the east and on the west of Deerfoot up to Thorncliff and Dalhousie in the north. The western boundary is Signal Hill and Strathcona Park (although I would prefer to stay on the east of the Sarcee Trail). Are there any neighborhoods in my search area that do not have good accessibility (in terms of access to highways and traffic)? Any neighborhoods that are perceived as not desirable but that, in your opinion, have a good potential in the future? Looking for input from Calgarians as it is hard to learn some things just by researching online unless you live in the city.
If you are looking to buy for yourself and live there....then maybe you should visit? It's really interesting that price disparities have gotten to the point that people have actually started thinking about Calgary (assuming you are living in GTA/GVA)...
[OP]
Mar 20, 2018
262 posts
165 upvotes
If you are looking to buy for yourself and live there....then maybe you should visit? It's really interesting that price disparities have gotten to the point that people have actually started thinking about Calgary (assuming you are living in GTA/GVA)...
Buying a house anywhere just because of price disparities is not the smartest decision, to say the least. That being said, I have already spent 10 days in Calgary. Visited a friend with one of intents being to assess Calgary as a potential place to move to. I liked the vibe of city, quality of infrastructure, proximity to nature, beautiful parks. I had been driving around neighborhoods too. Asked tons of questions to the friend about the medical system, education, etc. My conclusion, in light of widespread shit talk about Alberta, was that some stereotypes about Alberta are simply not true. I would even say that you guys have it pretty good there.
May 10, 2020
792 posts
1016 upvotes
stanleyinfrared wrote: Buying a house anywhere just because of price disparities is not the smartest decision, to say the least. That being said, I have already spent 10 days in Calgary. Visited a friend with one of intents being to assess Calgary as a potential place to move to. I liked the vibe of city, quality of infrastructure, proximity to nature, beautiful parks. I had been driving around neighborhoods too. Asked tons of questions to the friend about the medical system, education, etc. My conclusion, in light of widespread shit talk about Alberta, was that some stereotypes about Alberta are simply not true. I would even say that you guys have it pretty good there.
No thats not what i implied...but cant dismiss that the price differential is why many are looking at it now..at least as a starting point. Btw not a Calgarian here, visited there for couple of days, drove around - came to similar conclusions as you.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2018
262 posts
165 upvotes
Hp4041 wrote: No thats not what i implied...but cant dismiss that the price differential is why many are looking at it now..at least as a starting point. Btw not a Calgarian here, visited there for couple of days, drove around - came to similar conclusions as you.
Price differential is an important factor for sure. And I think it will become more important in the future.
Aug 20, 2019
505 posts
324 upvotes
masarwar wrote: Run Away. those condos are no where near the worth they are trying to sell for. especially the area.
Can you expand on this? My wife has been looking at these and she likes them.

I've been trying to look for condos around this price in the SW/NW that are precon or new and can't find pre-cons around this price. Specifically 2b+2b 750-900 feet in the 250s. Also taking a look at sage hill condos.

I know condos can be had for this price in the NE, but I don't want to live NE. Condos in downtown are 300s for 1b+1b, so thats out of the question or I would be paying even more for semi/detached house.

If I was planning to live in this, how would this be?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
stanleyinfrared wrote: I heard that drive times are often underestimated. For example, it may take more than an hour to get to downtown from deep suburbs when the weather is bad and/or during rush hours.

An hour? That's an exaggeration. If your community has access to Stoney or deerfoot then yes downtown would be 25 mins. Some of the far south west communities doesn't and I can see it taking 30-40 mins maybe. Calgary's rush hour is not like 401! I actually invested in some of those neighbourhoods (mostly inner SE such as Ogden, Dover, Southview etc) that does have a potential. .

I believe Signal hill has a local highway and so does other communities you mentioned. If you're wanting to live there I would suggest maybe renting or doing a temporary airbnb to see how it works out? Btw its alot better to just take transit downtown. Then do the +15 connection.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
Johntheshopper wrote: Can you expand on this? My wife has been looking at these and she likes them.

I've been trying to look for condos around this price in the SW/NW that are precon or new and can't find pre-cons around this price. Specifically 2b+2b 750-900 feet in the 250s. Also taking a look at sage hill condos.

I know condos can be had for this price in the NE, but I don't want to live NE. Condos in downtown are 300s for 1b+1b, so thats out of the question or I would be paying even more for semi/detached house.

Minto condos are right off Forest lawn/international Ave. I am not convinced the shit show of Forest lawn will not pour over there. Same with some of the new communities there.

It's a waiting game. Maybe the condos will be ok..maybe not. But I am not going to pay that price atleast. Sage Hills condos are good. Family friend bought there and I manage another condo few mins from sage hill condos. Good location as well. I would look there. What kind of prices are you getting there? Downtown has always been. On the higher side but you can get 1 bed/1 bath for around 250k but those generally have a higher condo fees.

I have a unit on 16th Ave and Stoney for 7 years now. Good managed complex and renters tend not to leave. So I am happy there so far. 920 sqft 2 bed/2bath with underground parking and security. Can be had for $210-215k.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
Johntheshopper wrote: Can you expand on this? My wife has been looking at these and she likes them.

Also why not detached or semi detached? You can avoid the whole condo issues and live in a place truly your own.
Aug 20, 2019
505 posts
324 upvotes
masarwar wrote:
Minto condos are right off Forest lawn/international Ave. I am not convinced the shit show of Forest lawn will not pour over there. Same with some of the new communities there.

It's a waiting game. Maybe the condos will be ok..maybe not. But I am not going to pay that price atleast. Sage Hills condos are good. Family friend bought there and I manage another condo few mins from sage hill condos. Good location as well. I would look there. What kind of prices are you getting there? Downtown has always been. On the higher side but you can get 1 bed/1 bath for around 250k but those generally have a higher condo fees.

I have a unit on 16th Ave and Stoney for 7 years now. Good managed complex and renters tend not to leave. So I am happy there so far. 920 sqft 2 bed/2bath with underground parking and security. Can be had for $210-215k.
Are you talking about the condos in Bowness? Where specifically on 16th avenue and stoney? I've been trying to look at units around the area on zillow but nothing comes up.
masarwar wrote: Also why not detached or semi detached? You can avoid the whole condo issues and live in a place truly your own.
Just the price, if I don't need that much space. I'd rather not pay that much for it. Also, I haven't been able to find builders building the modern time of square constructions with big windows like I see all over new communities in Markham/Stoufville (Something like 6B Queensbury Ave in Scarborough Ontario if you google it).
I like those designs and ascetics a lot and would lean towards those builds if I bought a detached. I've only look at Mattamy builds and some airdrie detached.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2504 posts
1609 upvotes
Calgary
Johntheshopper wrote: Are you talking about the condos in Bowness? Where specifically on 16th avenue and stoney? I've been trying to look at units around the area on zillow but nothing comes up.

Just the price, if I don't need that much space. I'd rather not pay that much for it. Also, I haven't been able to find builders building the modern time of square constructions with big windows like I see all over new communities in Markham/Stoufville (Something like 6B Queensbury Ave in Scarborough Ontario if you google it).
I like those designs and ascetics a lot and would lean towards those builds if I bought a detached. I've only look at Mattamy builds and some airdrie detached.
No the condo I mentioned is on the opposite end. As in NE.

Can you send me a picture of the type of development you're looking for style of homes?

Also the reason I say is that you can buy a semi detached home. Rent the basement and your cost of ownership will always be less than you will pay in a condo.