• Feb 8th, 2018 2:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
61 upvotes

Calibre - E-Reader

I recently installed Caliber and have about 500 books on there. I need to convert a lot of these for my Kindle so I use the "send file to Kindle email address" option.

However, it takes over 20 minutes to convert and send one file.

What am I doing wrong?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5586 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
Jakinthe wrote: I recently installed Caliber and have about 500 books on there. I need to convert a lot of these for my Kindle so I use the "send file to Kindle email address" option.

What am I doing wrong?
Convert, plug it in and click send to main memory for kindle...
Converting can take a while. So just convert them all overnight and then to the send in the morning. Should be fast after it's converted.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
61 upvotes
killoverme wrote: Convert, plug it in and click send to main memory for kindle...
Converting can take a while. So just convert them all overnight and then to the send in the morning. Should be fast after it's converted.
Thank you! That worked. Doing the convert and send was taking 20 minutes. Separate a breeze. Cheers.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19348 posts
27984 upvotes
ONTARIO
Jakinthe wrote: I recently installed Caliber and have about 500 books on there. I need to convert a lot of these for my Kindle so I use the "send file to Kindle email address" option.

What am I doing wrong?
Do you have Calibre configured to use gmail or outlook? If so, then the issue is most likely not your fault and has to do with an intentional delay Calibre has for sending emails from these hosts.
By default the delay is 301 seconds (5 minutes). So if you are sending a lot of books to your Kindle through Calibre, it will seem like it's taking forever because Calibre is waiting 5 minutes to send each book.

You can edit this delay in the settings.

Click on Preferences -> Tweaks (at bottom)
Click on the search box where it says 'Search for tweak' and type in email and hit enter.
It should take you to the public_smtp_relay_delay tweak.

In the 'edit tweak' box, you edit the amount of wait time between sending emails by changing the number 301 to a lower number.
I personally have mine set to 5, so there's only a 5 second delay between each send.

Also if you don't already have it set up, you might want to consider setting up Calibre so that any new books your import into the Calibre library will be auto-converted to .mobi for your Kindle.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
321 posts
61 upvotes
Thanks very much, Bob, I did enough have these settings and changed it to your recommendations. Much appreciated Bob.

J/