• Jan 23rd, 2019 6:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
1309 upvotes
, ON

California Shutters anyone?

Love it? Hate it? Why? Best place to get? Worst place to avoid?
47 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1483 posts
581 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Aren't they kind of out of style now? I think of them as being a 90's thing. But if they work for you... They're easy to clean, that's one thing.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16400 posts
14511 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hate it. They are bulky and block out too much light even when the slats are open, unless you swing them open. Just plain ugly IMO.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
1309 upvotes
, ON
so what kind of window treatments that are popular nowadays? Style, function, and reliability are what I am looking for.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2845 posts
1317 upvotes
Mississauga
I love mine. Got it installed 2-3 years ago. I've converted two friends over too.

3.5" wood slats(with hidden tilt) which lets in lots of light. http://www.pcshutters.ca/
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1664 posts
834 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: so what kind of window treatments that are popular nowadays? Style, function, and reliability are what I am looking for.
I love my cellular shades. I have 5 windows that have the day/night option then the rest are light filtering. They claim energy efficiency.

It goes very well with my modern-ish home and minimalist style. I have a combination of Bali and Levolor. ~13 blinds total (above is the breakdown) and I've probably spent about $~3000k.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
1309 upvotes
, ON
Biscayne05 wrote: I love my cellular shades. I have 5 windows that have the day/night option then the rest are light filtering. They claim energy efficiency.

It goes very well with my modern-ish home and minimalist style. I have a combination of Bali and Levolor. ~13 blinds total (above is the breakdown) and I've probably spent about $~3000k.
We need to see pictures :)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1534 posts
1298 upvotes
Winnipeg
I love, love, love my shutters. They give the house a crisp, clean look, go with everything and are maintenance free. I wouldn't call them modern.....more like classic, timeless. I had mine installed through Home Depot, and I was 100% happy with the quality and price, but obviously you'd have different installers there.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5218 posts
1554 upvotes
California shutters block out a huge amount of light, even open.

We've got roller shades that are open during daylight hours. A fraction of the cost and let windows do their job.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
1309 upvotes
, ON
What do you guys think if only first floor has california shutters and the second floor has shades? Is it weird that the first and second floor windows have different window coverings?

Also, where is the best place to get California shutters? Home depot is good? They offer 25 years warranty and i was quoted for $12k all in for about 19 windows
Jan 14, 2010
666 posts
207 upvotes
Central Ontario
Toukolou wrote: California shutters block out a huge amount of light, even open. We've got roller shades that are open during daylight hours. A fraction of the cost and let windows do their job.
+1. Have had naked windows for about 5 years now with blinds as needed functionally (usually rolled up, but strategically deployed in bright sun or nighttime). No dusting, brighter home.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
1309 upvotes
, ON
anotherbargainhunter wrote: What do you guys think if only first floor has california shutters and the second floor has shades? Is it weird that the first and second floor windows have different window coverings?

Also, where is the best place to get California shutters? Home depot is good? They offer 25 years warranty and i was quoted for $12k all in for about 19 windows
Sorry I made a typo. I got quoted for $12k all in by Home Depot for 21 windows. Vinyl california shutters with 25 years warranty. Is this a good deal?

Also, I am also debating if it is a good look to do just the ground floor only and leave the 2nd floor with shades and save about half of the money.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1047 posts
1159 upvotes
Toronto
anotherbargainhunter wrote: What do you guys think if only first floor has california shutters and the second floor has shades? Is it weird that the first and second floor windows have different window coverings?

I would shop around some more, 12K from HD is overpriced. Check out www.pcshutters.ca that bubuski mentioned above.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
1309 upvotes
, ON
tonershop wrote: I would shop around some more, 12K from HD is overpriced. Check out www.pcshutters.ca that bubuski mentioned above.
I will. How about Californiashutterstoronto.com? I am planning to get few more quotes.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1047 posts
1159 upvotes
Toronto
anotherbargainhunter wrote: I will. How about Californiashutterstoronto.com? I am planning to get few more quotes.
I haven't heard of them, but doesn't hurt to get a free quote from them too.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1026 posts
402 upvotes
GTA
anotherbargainhunter wrote: Sorry I made a typo. I got quoted for $12k all in by Home Depot for 21 windows. Vinyl california shutters with 25 years warranty. Is this a good deal
Now that you have a starting point you should shop around and compare apples to apples. I got a quote from HD but did not like the look of the vinyl or the frame. Ended getting real wood from an online source for less than the HD quote I had.

Doing a whole home in shutters is a personal choice. I ended up doing just the front windows (street view) in shutters and everything else with black-out cellular which allowed me to incorporate coloured window treatments in feature rooms. This approach was also easier on the pocket book.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
1309 upvotes
, ON
westcoastyvr wrote: Now that you have a starting point you should shop around and compare apples to apples. I got a quote from HD but did not like the look of the vinyl or the frame. Ended getting real wood from an online source for less than the HD quote I had.

Doing a whole home in shutters is a personal choice. I ended up doing just the front windows (street view) in shutters and everything else with black-out cellular which allowed me to incorporate coloured window treatments in feature rooms. This approach was also easier on the pocket book.
My home is a corner townhouse and all the windows in the whole house are front windows (street view). That is why I am wondering if it is going to look awkward or bad if we just do white california shutters on the ground floor and leave the top floor windows with dark shades. I cant't really find pictures on google that have similar or same set up
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2845 posts
1317 upvotes
Mississauga
My PC shutters quote was almost 50% cheaper than home depot. Could have changed but back then PC Shutters did not charge extra for vinyl vs wood. hinge colour, choice of trim profile or even the tilt rod placement for wood.

I prefer consistent look from the exterior but it is more or less your choice and what you can live with.