Home & Garden

California Shutters anyone?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2019 6:44 am
Nov 9, 2011
803 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
anotherbargainhunter wrote: I will. How about Californiashutterstoronto.com? I am planning to get few more quotes.
I haven't heard of them, but doesn't hurt to get a free quote from them too.
Nov 30, 2011
998 posts
382 upvotes
GTA
anotherbargainhunter wrote: Sorry I made a typo. I got quoted for $12k all in by Home Depot for 21 windows. Vinyl california shutters with 25 years warranty. Is this a good deal
Now that you have a starting point you should shop around and compare apples to apples. I got a quote from HD but did not like the look of the vinyl or the frame. Ended getting real wood from an online source for less than the HD quote I had.

Doing a whole home in shutters is a personal choice. I ended up doing just the front windows (street view) in shutters and everything else with black-out cellular which allowed me to incorporate coloured window treatments in feature rooms. This approach was also easier on the pocket book.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2623 posts
1094 upvotes
, ON
westcoastyvr wrote: Now that you have a starting point you should shop around and compare apples to apples. I got a quote from HD but did not like the look of the vinyl or the frame. Ended getting real wood from an online source for less than the HD quote I had.

Doing a whole home in shutters is a personal choice. I ended up doing just the front windows (street view) in shutters and everything else with black-out cellular which allowed me to incorporate coloured window treatments in feature rooms. This approach was also easier on the pocket book.
My home is a corner townhouse and all the windows in the whole house are front windows (street view). That is why I am wondering if it is going to look awkward or bad if we just do white california shutters on the ground floor and leave the top floor windows with dark shades. I cant't really find pictures on google that have similar or same set up
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2381 posts
849 upvotes
Mississauga
My PC shutters quote was almost 50% cheaper than home depot. Could have changed but back then PC Shutters did not charge extra for vinyl vs wood. hinge colour, choice of trim profile or even the tilt rod placement for wood.

I prefer consistent look from the exterior but it is more or less your choice and what you can live with.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43554 posts
4153 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm surprised to see the amount of people who commented against shutters, when just the fact of having them is a selling point in homes nowadays.
Artisan woodworker crafting cutting boards, custom wood furniture, tables, home decor, and more!
Instagram @studiocanopy

***For Sale*** Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Freud 10" 80T Ultimate Cut Off Blade | Heatware
Jan 4, 2010
707 posts
421 upvotes
Waterloo
I like them alot but only have the bottom floors installed. They are too clunky for our smaller bedroom windows so we just went with white vinyl shades from home depot. 10 years and cali shutters still look then same, vinyl shades gets pretty dusty (I honestly hate them alot). Doesn't look weird not matching and I know alot of homes do the same.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4248 posts
832 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: I'm surprised to see the amount of people who commented against shutters, when just the fact of having them is a selling point in homes nowadays.
If you have the chance to compare California shuttered windows and windows without CSs, you will notice an enormous difference in natural light in the home. It isn't even close in terms of light. I've compared "opened" shutters, where the shutter slat are slanted open, shutters swung completely open from the window frames, and shutters removed from the frames entirely. There is absolutely no question that CSs block a TON of light in every instance.

From what I understand, many people pay a premium for windows/natural light in their homes. Why anyone would think California shutters are superior to other, less light obstructing window coverings, is a mystery to me.

Plus, they're ridiculously expensive. Five figures for the privilege of blocking out 1/3+ of the natural light in my home (not to mention potential condensation problems)? No thanks.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43554 posts
4153 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Toukolou wrote: If you have the chance to compare California shuttered windows and windows without CSs, you will notice an enormous difference in natural light in the home. It isn't even close in terms of light. I've compared "opened" shutters, where the shutter slat are slanted open, shutters swung completely open from the window frames, and shutters removed from the frames entirely. There is absolutely no question that CSs block a TON of light in every instance.

From what I understand, many people pay a premium for windows/natural light in their homes. Why anyone would think California shutters are superior to other, less light obstructing window coverings, is a mystery to me.

Plus, they're ridiculously expensive. Five figures for the privilege of blocking out 1/3+ of the natural light in my home (not to mention potential condensation problems)? No thanks.
I would say people want sufficient lightning in their homes. On our windows that face west, the shutters do an amazing job so that we can enjoy watching TV without glare. Many people also prefer the look of shutters versus blinds.
Artisan woodworker crafting cutting boards, custom wood furniture, tables, home decor, and more!
Instagram @studiocanopy

***For Sale*** Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Freud 10" 80T Ultimate Cut Off Blade | Heatware
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4248 posts
832 upvotes
Preferences aside, my post was referring to the effect California shutters have on a home and their exorbitant cost. We've had them, I know what I'm talking about.

And fwiw, our rear windows face west as well, and we still would never use California shutters again.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2623 posts
1094 upvotes
, ON
Pcshutters came in #1 so far in term of pricing with wood shutters. Half of HD quote and HD is only vinyl.
Californiashutterscanada.com came in on second spot as they are about $2k more but they offer unconditional lifetime warranty. They will cover ANY types of damages unconditionally.

Pcshutters only offers 25 years.

Still waiting for one more quote from Star shutters
Sep 10, 2017
176 posts
34 upvotes
What kind of blinds are the better option? Roller shades / vinyl blinds/ faux wood blinds/ aluminum are some of the options i am considering.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13984 posts
11021 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jon Lai wrote: I'm surprised to see the amount of people who commented against shutters, when just the fact of having them is a selling point in homes nowadays.
Selling point? Maybe a decade ago. Most see these as old fashion and dislike how much light they block when "opened". They basically add zero value to a home unless that particular buyer likes them which is not many now.
Sep 27, 2015
259 posts
81 upvotes
Pickering, ON
anotherbargainhunter wrote: I will. How about Californiashutterstoronto.com? I am planning to get few more quotes.
Where are you at. I had mine installed for 1/2 of HD Price. Vinyl with 25 years warranty including a bay window and for the patio door.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2623 posts
1094 upvotes
, ON
EP32k2 wrote: Selling point? Maybe a decade ago. Most see these as old fashion and dislike how much light they block when "opened". They basically add zero value to a home unless that particular buyer likes them which is not many now.
That is very personal taste and opinion though. If you go to realtor/MLS ads, california shutters is one of many other common features such as fireplace and etc. that are usually seen as a selling point.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)