• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2019 6:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2619 posts
1092 upvotes
, ON
Cutevampire wrote: Where are you at. I had mine installed for 1/2 of HD Price. Vinyl with 25 years warranty including a bay window and for the patio door.
I got a very good price too for all my windows with 25 years warranty. Who did you go with?
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13968 posts
10976 upvotes
Richmond Hill
anotherbargainhunter wrote: That is very personal taste and opinion though. If you go to realtor/MLS ads, california shutters is one of many other common features such as fireplace and etc. that are usually seen as a selling point.
No doubt it’s personal taste and the majority of the public think shutters are old fashion and they are. When do you ever see shutters on HGTV?
How old are these houses with shutters are on mls that you see? My parents home that is 25 years old has shutters...
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12525 posts
9751 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Shutters...

For the record there are many types of shutters, from reading the above replies, I think some folks may have confused outdoor shutters with those that are indoor window coverings.

Outdoor go by a variety of names ... Storm Shutters, Hurricane Shutters, Roller Shutters, Bahama Shutters (a particular style), or just Shutters. They cover the window on the outside as a means of protection from the elements / weather... and / or heat. Some are decorative (most in areas away from Hurricanes) while others actually are designed to function / close when needed to protect the window glass. Some are lowered, and some are solid panels.

http://www.hurricaneshuttersflorida.com

Indoor Window Coverings that are Shutters, go by a variety of names ... Plantation Shutters, California Shutters, Cafe Shutters (usually don’t cover the entire height of the window). And they all tend to be louvered, so one can control light & privacy from inside the home.

https://ontarioshuttersdirect.ca

These type of Shutters are quite expensive, as the majority of them are custom made / Fitted... and made out of wood or PVC. The size of louvres can vary from quite narrow to quite wide. They are pretty (or even gorgeous) in the right home setting / decor... Beach Houses, West Indies Colonial Plantation Decor etc. Where they also tend to serve function as well as look (and easy to clean... a bonus if one has a house they only use seasonally, or are not wanting to spend oodles of time cleaning).

Although they don’t go with all styles, they are admired by many for their clean lines, and so can be desired by those who have a country themed home (cafe style), traditional, contemporary, or a vacation home.

They can be a PITA if one wishes to install them on non traditional windows... be that the shape of the window (curved) or something like a sliding patio door.

Plus the cost often is prohibitive.

If you like the look... and not the downsides, consider wood blinds or faux wood blinds... that give much the same look with less cost, and are sold in standard sizes that can be trimmed / adjusted to fit, as well as custom.

https://www.selectblindscanada.ca/faux-wood-blinds

From the outside of the house, they have the appearance of shutters on the windows (especially if you go with the wider slats), share the clean lines, and ease of maintenance. Plus they are easy to self install, can be cleaned in place (or taken down & put back up quickly). And the two biggest pluses... you not only get to adjust the slats of the blinds... but you can raise & lower them like regular blinds to clean the window glass, let more light in, or open the window / work on your screens etc. AND they are not expensive.

Plus... they are considered far more contemporary / modern... so fit in seemlessly with a lot more decorating styles
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2619 posts
1092 upvotes
, ON
EP32k2 wrote: No doubt it’s personal taste and the majority of the public think shutters are old fashion and they are. When do you ever see shutters on HGTV?
How old are these houses with shutters are on mls that you see? My parents home that is 25 years old has shutters...
No. The majority of the public don't think that they are old fashion. They present clean line and gorgeous look in modern and contemporary homes. I do see shutters on home TV shows and as well as the other type of window treatments. You can see them used at mls listings all the time as a feature. When do you see mls listings featuring roller shades or blinds? Your parents and many other new home owners seem to understand the value added and timeless look of california shutters.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
10799 posts
6019 upvotes
How much do they run for now? My mom had them in her house. 15-20 years later still going strong. Good investment.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26271 posts
4557 upvotes
Hamilton
We got ours done by Stars Shutter. Love the look, Miss the light though lol
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
May 7, 2016
397 posts
309 upvotes
In a country with not a lot of natural light in the winter, California shutters are not the best option. The only people that I know that have them and love them are 70+ years old, but we don't know much about the OP, so this could be the case. Or not, regardless, if you like them, go for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2619 posts
1092 upvotes
, ON
carztoronto wrote: In a country with not a lot of natural light in the winter, California shutters are not the best option. The only people that I know that have them and love them are 70+ years old, but we don't know much about the OP, so this could be the case. Or not, regardless, if you like them, go for it.
Well we are young professionals and we know many other young professionals that have them. Regardless your age, if you like them get them. They are pricey though but it is a good investment in the long run. California shutters always a feature in any listing. No one feature blinds, shades, or drapes on a listing.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2376 posts
847 upvotes
Mississauga
carztoronto wrote: In a country with not a lot of natural light in the winter, California shutters are not the best option. The only people that I know that have them and love them are 70+ years old, but we don't know much about the OP, so this could be the case. Or not, regardless, if you like them, go for it.
Really? They've all upgraded from beige floral curtains.
Nov 10, 2005
316 posts
156 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote: California shutters always a feature in any listing. No one feature blinds, shades, or drapes on a listing.
That's because they're much more expensive, so it makes the house look more valuable because of the cost incurred.

They definitely reduce the amount of sunlight in the house drastically. I know a couple people with them and that's a huge complaint from them - even on the sunniest of days, the house doesn't look bright enough. I've noticed it as well when I've visited.
Last edited by berklon on Jan 21st, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4093 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
anotherbargainhunter wrote: Well we are young professionals and we know many other young professionals that have them. Regardless your age, if you like them get them. They are pricey though but it is a good investment in the long run. California shutters always a feature in any listing. No one feature blinds, shades, or drapes on a listing.
Do you work for a shutter company or something? You seem awfully invested in convincing everyone, and also extremely defensive. And no, they are not always a feature in "every" listing - and yes, many feature blinds, shades, etc on listings.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5511 posts
4800 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: No doubt it’s personal taste and the majority of the public think shutters are old fashion and they are. When do you ever see shutters on HGTV?
Quite the opposite here.. shutters are all the rage here and everybody I talk to thinks that blinds are old-fashioned.
Chickinvic wrote: Do you work for a shutter company or something? You seem awfully invested in convincing everyone, and also extremely defensive. And no, they are not always a feature in "every" listing - and yes, many feature blinds, shades, etc on listings.
California shutters seem to be the new 'granite countertops'
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6202 posts
919 upvotes
I hate the shutters just because of the light you lose. I wouldn't want it even for free. Glad that my house didn't come with that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5511 posts
4800 upvotes
golden wrote: I hate the shutters just because of the light you lose. I wouldn't want it even for free. Glad that my house didn't come with that.
We have shutters in the master bedroom and two of our bathrooms only. No issues with reduced light at all. I find my other rooms with faux-wood blinds actually get less light vs. when I have my shutters open. Also much easier to clean, especially in the bathrooms. Guess it depends on what kind you get.

Wouldn't change them for blinds even if they were free + reimbursed for cost of my shutters.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2619 posts
1092 upvotes
, ON
Chickinvic wrote: Do you work for a shutter company or something? You seem awfully invested in convincing everyone, and also extremely defensive. And no, they are not always a feature in "every" listing - and yes, many feature blinds, shades, etc on listings.
No I don’t. I simply offered a counter view. It is for everyone regardless age. I wasn’t being defensive, did I come across that way? Your statement can also come across as being extremely defensive too though. Do you work for shades or blinds company? Do you see what I am saying?

My original point is this, I saw someone posting saying that he only knows people in their 70s that have California shutters in their house and he was not sure in what age category I am. So I responded to him and stated that we are young professionals. My friends and co-workers also have California shutters in their home and they referred me to their contractors.

Regarding listing, just like the other guy here mentioned, it is like “granite countertops” on a listing. Many realtors will list it as a feature. We all agree that any realtor is not going to list drapes and shades as a “feature” on a listing except maybe if it is remote controlled.

So I am not sure why you suddenly came out and jumped on my post like that, woke up on the wrong side of bed maybe?

Take it easy for the rest of the day.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)