• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 11:32 am
[OP]
Jan 8, 2015
388 posts
339 upvotes
Mississauga

Caliper missing bolt

So while taking my wheels off I noticed a bolt missing for my rear caliper that hold the pads in.
I took it to a shop in March to have the rear brakes done. Can they have forgotten to put it back on...? Considering I have done 25,000KM since then and 2 track days is this a non issue?
Or can this potentially just have happened and I should not drive till its replaced.
Images
  • hfxVdwr.jpg
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
671 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
you're missing a guide pin? Heh. Your brakes most like wore down improperly, any signs of it siezed in there and the head snapped off?

Lucky for you brake hardware is cheap and so are rear pads.
--
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4493 posts
1831 upvotes
GTA
sebakaa wrote: Considering I have done 25,000KM since then and 2 track days is this a non issue?
Yup clearly this is a non issue, don't worry about it, you have 3 more calipers, they'll stop you just fine, you can sleep soundly tonight...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16184 posts
17614 upvotes
Oakville
sebakaa wrote: So while taking my wheels off I noticed a bolt missing for my rear caliper that hold the pads in.
I took it to a shop in March to have the rear brakes done. Can they have forgotten to put it back on...? Considering I have done 25,000KM since then and 2 track days is this a non issue?
Or can this potentially just have happened and I should not drive till its replaced.
The shop definitely forgot to install the bolt. It didn't cause you an immediate problem because the rear caliper barely does any work normally, that's why you have a solid rotor. Is that a Subaru WRX?
You likely have poorly worn pads. This is one of the reasons I do my own brakes, instead of letting some junkie teenager do them at a shop/dealer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5456 posts
2988 upvotes
Toronto
Or that pin broke off while tracking and now you need to redrill and rethread/helicoil that sucker.
Nov 6, 2014
766 posts
1188 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
The mechanic that did your brakes should lose his license. Ask him where's the bolt and if it fell out how that could happen if he torqed it to the right spec with a torq wrench? Maybe he was distracted DMing his GF, but that's ok....you have 3 other callipers done right....or maybe?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5717 posts
3309 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote: Or that pin broke off while tracking and now you need to redrill and rethread/helicoil that sucker.
Subaru's use a pin and bolt, you can just replace the pin and bolt if it did snap off, no need to drill, retap or helicoil.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16184 posts
17614 upvotes
Oakville
peteryorkuca wrote: Or that pin broke off while tracking and now you need to redrill and rethread/helicoil that sucker.
There's no way that happened unless the bolt was already damaged by over torquing. The only load the bolt sees is the friction/grip between the pad and rotor, which is the same at the track as it is with a hard stop on the street (albeit more frequent at the track).
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4145 posts
4283 upvotes
GTA
sebakaa wrote: So while taking my wheels off I noticed a bolt missing for my rear caliper that hold the pads in.
You can't be serious...

This also look pretty bad on you as a track day participant. Track days are under the honour system that people have inspected their cars beforehand to make sure they're track-worthy condition.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5717 posts
3309 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: You can't be serious...

This also look pretty bad on you as a track day participant. Track days are under the honour system that people have inspected their cars beforehand to make sure they're track-worthy condition.
That and it should have been caught earlier, I switch out my brake pads for track days.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
[OP]
Jan 8, 2015
388 posts
339 upvotes
Mississauga
It is what it is. Thanks for the advice. Been keeping more tabs on electrical and oil related issues so didnt look at my brakes since March.
Guide Pin is still inside. Bolt to put it through just isnt there. Gonna go to store and look for a similar bolt.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5354 posts
2731 upvotes
Ottawa
sebakaa wrote: It is what it is. Thanks for the advice. Been keeping more tabs on electrical and oil related issues so didnt look at my brakes since March.
Guide Pin is still inside. Bolt to put it through just isnt there. Gonna go to store and look for a similar bolt.
You can't just go to a store and get a "similar bolt". Go to a dealership and get the correct one and ground your car until you do.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35609 posts
21668 upvotes
Center of Universe
So you paid to have the rears "serviced", yet you're capable of taking things apart and know what to look for... seems suspect.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3816 posts
921 upvotes
Brampton
Clearly the bolt was forgotten or not torqued correctly and fell out.
I would start by going back to the shop that did the service, they should stand behind their work. At this point there could be abnormal wear or damage to other parts that they should take care of.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9174 posts
288 upvotes
2 track days? How did you pass inspection?
it's me ramin.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3816 posts
921 upvotes
Brampton
How long do they take for an inspection like that?
The couple inspections Ive done wouldnt have caught it. You would have to get under and look for missing bolts, or grab the caliper and try to move it.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3984 posts
2995 upvotes
GTA
Who needs brakes on drift car?