Cell Phones

Call quality after porting from Koodo to Fido (?)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 1:21 pm
[OP]
Oct 9, 2008
121 posts
114 upvotes

Call quality after porting from Koodo to Fido (?)

Hi
Since I have ported my cellphone over to Fido, the call quality is not consistent. I get garbled voices and brief audio cutouts that never happened with Koodo.
I have a Huawei P30 ELE-04 purchased from Koodo.
Are there any configuration changes that need to be done? Phone shows LTE (or 4G) and I turned on HD Calling.

Fido Tech support has "reset" my connection and asked me to reboot. Same issue.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23446 posts
5472 upvotes
Toronto
do you have another sim from a different provider?

If so, pop that into your phone and see if you get the same garbled voices & brief audio cutouts......if so, that means its the phone & not the carrier or sim....

alternatively, you can try your sim in another phone & see if you get the same garbled voices & brief audio cutouts - if so, means it might be the sim. You can change to another Fido sim to eliminate it being your current sim.

Gluck!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2372 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
samster125 wrote: Hi
Since I have ported my cellphone over to Fido, the call quality is not consistent. I get garbled voices and brief audio cutouts that never happened with Koodo.
Are there any configuration changes that need to be done? Phone shows LTE (or 4G) and I turned on HD Calling.

Do you have another phone to test?

Do you know anyone who uses Fido that doesn't have the same issue in the same area? For example, where I live, reception on Rogers/Fido isn't that great so I won't say I often get garbled audio but audio will occasionally cut off when I use Fido in my place. When I go outside, I don't have the issue.
Jan 19, 2006
540 posts
378 upvotes
BC
I experienced garbled outgoing voice called using Zoomerwireless.

On Telus now and outgoing voice quality is perfect.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18623 posts
6031 upvotes
London

You likely had VoLTE calling on the Koodo/ Telus network
Fido/ Rogers likely does not support VoLTE calling from an non Fido/ Rogers purchased phone
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto

Do you have a Rogers tower near you? Check the Canadian Cellular Towers Map
(Fido is owned by Rogers.)
TELUS: Unlimited 25 $37.50/25GB x 2 (50 GB pooled data)
AT&T Prepaid Unlimited MAX: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, ?? GB data
[OP]
Oct 9, 2008
121 posts
114 upvotes
I am in the center of a triangle of 3 Rogers towers all within 3000ft. I'm on the island of Montreal.
The problem does not happen 100% of the time so switching SIM will be problematic.
I guess I could switch phone for a while.

Is there any way to activate VoLTE on my phone?
Jun 6, 2007
174 posts
74 upvotes
Kelowna
I constantly find people sound like they're underwater and I lose calls a lot... which I never did in many many years at koodoo
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1236 posts
2296 upvotes
Lack of VoLTE is the explanation here.
The reason I no longer consider Fido for a voice line is just that - the substandard call quality I experienced on 3G.
And the LTE connection has higher jitter where I am... I use a Koodo SIM for VoIP service with better results.