Cell Phones

Call screening & VOIP.ms

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2020 3:00 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 7, 2010
88 posts
31 upvotes
T.Dot

Call screening & VOIP.ms

Just called a TELUS number and they have something called "Call Control" where you receive a prompt and then you have to press a number to get through. Seems like a pretty good function.

https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/art ... -explained

I have VOIP.ms and I have something similar where callers hear: "please wait while we attempt to locate the party..." Robocalls still go through and I was wondering if there was something similar that I could setup.
7 replies
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 7, 2010
88 posts
31 upvotes
T.Dot
You are correct there and it is free. Here's the next problem - screening of legit auto calls.

Some websites send SMS confirmation codes but VOIP.ms does not always allow those to go through which results in the need for a call which this setup will not allow. Alternatives? I'm thinking of a second phone number but that's just a serious pain.

IanBrantford wrote: I have not yet tried voip.ms' IVR (Interactive Voice Response), but it should do the job.

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/DigitalReceptionist_IVR
Newbie
Mar 6, 2019
44 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
Allan in T.Dot wrote: You are correct there and it is free. Here's the next problem - screening of legit auto calls.

Some websites send SMS confirmation codes but VOIP.ms does not always allow those to go through which results in the need for a call which this setup will not allow. Alternatives? I'm thinking of a second phone number but that's just a serious pain.
You can use the "CallerID filtering" rules to allow the legit calls. The CallerID filtering is checked before the IVR so if you know those numbers you can have it routed to ring your line. I use the IVR call screening but allow callers I know to bypass the IVR. I've setup the callers in "Phone Book" and then setup a group such as "Allow" and "IVR" to route the calls appropriately.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 7, 2010
88 posts
31 upvotes
T.Dot
That's the problem - the numbers are not always the same. I just finished setting up the system so fingers crossed that it all works out. I'm excited to block some of this spam!
TechMeOff wrote: You can use the "CallerID filtering" rules to allow the legit calls. The CallerID filtering is checked before the IVR so if you know those numbers you can have it routed to ring your line. I use the IVR call screening but allow callers I know to bypass the IVR. I've setup the callers in "Phone Book" and then setup a group such as "Allow" and "IVR" to route the calls appropriately.
Newbie
Mar 6, 2019
44 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
Allan in T.Dot wrote: That's the problem - the numbers are not always the same. I just finished setting up the system so fingers crossed that it all works out. I'm excited to block some of this spam!
Are the auto call from a particular company coming from different numbers or is it just all the different companies you deal with? You can setup wildcard callid filters (such as 555-444-33* to match all of the last two digits) if it's coming from a known block of numbers. If the numbers are more random then it'll be more of a pain. I have just done a temp reroute to bypass the IVR if I'm expecting an important call but that's manual thing. I do allow the IVR calls to timeout and default to voicemail in case I've inadvertently blocked something so at least I'll get a voicemail.

Anyways the IVR has blocked the robocalls for me so hope it works out for you.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 7, 2010
88 posts
31 upvotes
T.Dot
Unfortunately, they are just spoofing numbers that are just random variants of mine. I think how I set it up will work fine and then deal with any other secondary authentication issues on an as-needed basis by disabling IVR on an as-needed basis similar to you. How do you setup the timeout so that it eventually goes to VM?

TechMeOff wrote: Are the auto call from a particular company coming from different numbers or is it just all the different companies you deal with? You can setup wildcard callid filters (such as 555-444-33* to match all of the last two digits) if it's coming from a known block of numbers. If the numbers are more random then it'll be more of a pain. I have just done a temp reroute to bypass the IVR if I'm expecting an important call but that's manual thing. I do allow the IVR calls to timeout and default to voicemail in case I've inadvertently blocked something so at least I'll get a voicemail.

Anyways the IVR has blocked the robocalls for me so hope it works out for you.
Newbie
Mar 6, 2019
44 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
Allan in T.Dot wrote: ... How do you setup the timeout so that it eventually goes to VM?
voip.ms's IVR uses 't' for the timeout. Just put the t where the digit goes and destination as voicemail. There's also 'i' for invalid key. I route both the timeout and invalid to voicemail.
I also have callerid filtering with a group to allow specific callids to bypass the IVR and ring.

Top