Travel

Calling Aeroplan for Another Star Alliance Flight?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2017 1:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11400 posts
2336 upvotes

Calling Aeroplan for Another Star Alliance Flight?

Has anyone ever called Aeroplan to book their reward flight using another Star Alliance airline?

Aeroplan seems to suck and only posts Air Canada or United flights on their website. And the Air Canada ones have huge taxes/fees/surcharges etc.

If one were to find another Star Alliance flight, how does one call Aeroplan to see if they can redeem their Aeroplan points for those flights instead? What kind of details do we need to provide?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2689 posts
1013 upvotes
Nunavut
How does one call Aeroplan?

Call phone # on back of card, give aeroplan # to person who answers

Answer all questions they ask.. .done!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2986 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: Has anyone ever called Aeroplan to book their reward flight using another Star Alliance airline?

Aeroplan seems to suck and only posts Air Canada or United flights on their website. And the Air Canada ones have huge taxes/fees/surcharges etc.

If one were to find another Star Alliance flight, how does one call Aeroplan to see if they can redeem their Aeroplan points for those flights instead? What kind of details do we need to provide?
It is quite common, particularly in this age of Air Canada "fuel" and now "carrier" surcharges, to book flights on other Star Alliance carriers by using Aeroplan. I have done it more than once in booking "mini-round-the-world" trips.

Determine the flights that you want and are available for reward travel by using another airline's website or other tool (check out flyertalk.com for all kinds of tips and advice), call Aeroplan, and provide the CSR with the actual flight numbers and dates that you want. Yes, you'll pay the booking fee for actually talking to someone but you'll likely save hundreds of dollars, depending on your itinerary and flights, by getting what you want.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11400 posts
2336 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: It is quite common, particularly in this age of Air Canada "fuel" and now "carrier" surcharges, to book flights on other Star Alliance carriers by using Aeroplan. I have done it more than once in booking "mini-round-the-world" trips.

Determine the flights that you want and are available for reward travel by using another airline's website or other tool (check out flyertalk.com for all kinds of tips and advice), call Aeroplan, and provide the CSR with the actual flight numbers and dates that you want. Yes, you'll pay the booking fee for actually talking to someone but you'll likely save hundreds of dollars, depending on your itinerary and flights, by getting what you want.
Thanks! So just flight number and dates. I'm guessing it's for each flight. Meaning if I went to United and saw that there is a flight and it had a layover, I'd have to provide Aeroplan every flight (every time I take off the ground).

I am flying to Buenos Aires and see that I can fly Air Canada for $700 in surcharges/fees or I can fly Copa for $144 in surcharges/fees. Given it's for 2 tickets, saving $1000 is totally worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9087 posts
3697 upvotes
Toronto
We flew Copa from SCL to Panama, to Toronto. It was fine. Saved on the scamcharges that AC would charge.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
10550 posts
3871 upvotes
Expect to wait an hour to two hours to get an agent but yes they will book you on Aeroplan partners. Know your flights before hand and spoon feed it to them. They'll run it through the validate and if it's good you can book.

If you know what you want I say book right away. The hold time is consistently long to get someone but they are helpful. There's a $30 fee for this service.
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11400 posts
2336 upvotes
Arrgh wrote: We flew Copa from SCL to Panama, to Toronto. It was fine. Saved on the scamcharges that AC would charge.
I saw on their flights with COPA. Toronto to Panama, Panama to Buenos Ares. The layover is like 1hr, that seems very very tight. How was the airport in Panama and how quickly would the transfer work? Seems odd how they offer such short transfer times.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11400 posts
2336 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Expect to wait an hour to two hours to get an agent but yes they will book you on Aeroplan partners. Know your flights before hand and spoon feed it to them. They'll run it through the validate and if it's good you can book.

If you know what you want I say book right away. The hold time is consistently long to get someone but they are helpful. There's a $30 fee for this service.
Thanks. Luckily this is under my husband's card so he will get to do the calling lol. I hate calling Aeroplan, so long...

For Aeroplan reward flights, I know you can book 365 out but don't they release more seats as well? Like why book 365 out when I can wait 180 days etc?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7414 posts
6485 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: I saw on their flights with COPA. Toronto to Panama, Panama to Buenos Ares. The layover is like 1hr, that seems very very tight. How was the airport in Panama and how quickly would the transfer work? Seems odd how they offer such short transfer times.
Tocumen is not a large airport. It's COPA's primary hub and they do a good job with tight connecting flights.

We did an hour and 50 min layover at PTY and frankly it was more than enough time to grab a casual drink prior to the SJO flight.
Last edited by Madchester on Aug 24th, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 19, 2004
26119 posts
8247 upvotes
where I belong
speedyforme wrote: Thanks. Luckily this is under my husband's card so he will get to do the calling lol. I hate calling Aeroplan, so long...

For Aeroplan reward flights, I know you can book 365 out but don't they release more seats as well? Like why book 365 out when I can wait 180 days etc?
You have much to learn/research on Aeroplan if you really want to maxmize it

1. Release dates vary by airlines. AC's own flights are released 355 days out, and there's no guarantee on any release
2. No, they don't necessarily release more seats. In fact, the longer you wait, the less seats become available (supply and demand)

Flyertalk is good resource
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-cana ... tions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11400 posts
2336 upvotes
Madchester wrote: Tocumen is not a large airport. It's COPA's primary hub and they do a good job with tight connecting flights.

We did an hour and 50 min layover at PTY and frankly it was more than enough time to grab a casual drink prior to the SJO flight.
Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)