Computers & Electronics

Calling all the MAC Book Air users

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 10:13 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 12, 2008
663 posts
145 upvotes
Windsor

Calling all the MAC Book Air users

Hi all
I have a MAC book air with USB (not USB-C) and I would like to connect a monitor with it. Tried couple of USB to Display Port adapter but none worked. Any recommendations.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16277 posts
21273 upvotes
Toronto
w11x22 wrote: Hi all
I have a MAC book air with USB (not USB-C) and I would like to connect a monitor with it. Tried couple of USB to Display Port adapter but none worked. Any recommendations.
Which year is your Macbook Air?

To use the USB-A ports for video out, you need to buy a DisplayLink-compatible adapter
https://www.displaylink.com/

Identify the ports on your Mac

Your Macbook Air will have a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt (1 & 2) ports that support video out
Use a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor to use your existing DisplayPort cable

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-MDP2 ... B0055PKO3I

Mini_DisplayPort_on_Apple_MacBook.jpg
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
19059 posts
6427 upvotes
Toronto
I have an early 2015 13" and it works perfectly using a miniDP to HDMI, miniDP to DP, and miniDP to DVI.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 12, 2008
663 posts
145 upvotes
Windsor
Dhanushan wrote: Which year is your Macbook Air?

To use the USB-A ports for video out, you need to buy a DisplayLink-compatible adapter
https://www.displaylink.com/

Identify the ports on your Mac

Your Macbook Air will have a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt (1 & 2) ports that support video out
Use a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor to use your existing DisplayPort cable

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-MDP2 ... B0055PKO3I


Mini_DisplayPort_on_Apple_MacBook.jpg
HI, sorry I was away.
thx for the suggestion. so you have any suggestion/recommendation the same thing but with a USB hub built in..TIA :)
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 12, 2008
663 posts
145 upvotes
Windsor
audit13 wrote: I have an early 2015 13" and it works perfectly using a miniDP to HDMI, miniDP to DP, and miniDP to DVI.
Thx....Any suggestion or recommendation on a USB hub with this built in
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
19059 posts
6427 upvotes
Toronto
w11x22 wrote: Thx....Any suggestion or recommendation on a USB hub with this built in
I also tried my Air with a ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock and it worked well as long as you use the right drivers. I don't recall the exact model # as I gave it to a friend to use but it looked something like this:
Images
  • maxresdefault.jpg
  • s-l500.jpg

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)