May 26, 2007
843 posts
344 upvotes

Calling all rice guru's

So I went all out and got one of those fancy Zojirushi

This one
https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-YAC1 ... s=NS-YAC10

rice cookers and now I'm broke lol
Mainly because it says it can cook gaba rice, and its supposed to be healthy. But now I read that's a lie (to clarify I read brown rice not healthier than white rice -but I personally think it has to be). Anybody know what rice is most healthy? And best quality? Up until now I've been getting sushi grade white rice from Costco. Just wondering if there is anything better?
Last edited by insomnia77 on Jan 14th, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5623 posts
2007 upvotes
Alberta
We buy Gold Mountain long grain white rice and mix it with wild rice.

Didn't want to try an Instant Pot or Tiger rice cooker?
[OP]
May 26, 2007
843 posts
344 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:28 pm
Black or brown rice
I thought you were joking . I didn't even know there was black rice. Any rice, best quality, taste, healthy, brand and origin.
[OP]
May 26, 2007
843 posts
344 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 3:28 pm
Yeah this!

If you find this kinda rice too icky oe grainy... you could always do a mix of white and brown rice.
Interesting. Does it matter which one or are they all the same ie uncle Ben's lol vs more expensive rice at Costco usually has Japanese writing?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7754 posts
1826 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been using Hoasua Foods Organic Brown Rice, it's expensive tho. I don't have a rice cooker, I make my rice in a pot on the stove.
Images
  • IMG_20190113_190820.jpg
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23362 posts
8304 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to try out the black or brown, buy a small bag and see if you like it.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4475 posts
3539 upvotes
insomnia77 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:53 pm
So I went all out and got one of those fancy Zojirushi

This one
https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-YAC1 ... s=NS-YAC10

rice cookers and now I'm broke lol
Mainly because it says it can cook gaba rice, and its supposed to be healthy. But now I read that's a lie. Anybody know what rice is most healthy? And best quality? Up until now I've been getting sushi grade white rice from Costco. Just wondering if there is anything better?
We keep several varieties of rice at home... Nice to have different kinds to go with different foods.

Jasmine: long grain white rice... soft and fluffy, same stuff that's served at basically all Chinese restaurants. Tends to absorb liquid and get mushy/clump together if you leave it in sauce. Good with stir-fry and for making fried rice.

Basmati: longer grains that tend to repel liquids and maintain its shape and doesn't clump. Good with curries and other saucy dishes.

Black / "Forbidden" Rice: very healthy, full, long grain rice. Chewy texture, requires longer cooking and more water than most other varieties. Good as a side dish, particularly when the main isn't saucy. Great in desserts (think coconut milk).

Japanese / "Sushi": short grain rice... Sticky and chewy texture. Typical rice that's used for making sushi and served at Japanese restaurants. Good with Japanese / Korean dishes, for making bibimbap. Also good for making congee.

Converted Rice: a.k.a. parboiled rice. This is what most Canadians think of as the typical rice. Not as chewy and cooks faster than brown rice, but takes a bit longer and not as fluffy as white rice. Good for making Mexican rice and holds up well in soups/stews.

Arborio: I only keep a small box of Arborio for making risotto. Very sticky and creamy.
Dec 23, 2015
91 posts
73 upvotes
There's a lot more fiber in brown rice, but it takes longer to cook. Rice is rice, if you are having rice, why not enjoy it :)

For a start, I'd suggest to get small bags of Thai jasmine, Indian Basmati, Japanese sushi rice and any long grain brown rice.

Just be cautious with the water level. They all require different amounts of water. Jasmine takes regular amount of water, Basmati takes slightly more, brown rice takes slightly less and Sushi rice takes even less.

Don't be discouraged when experimenting with them. It may take a little adjustment to get the best result. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1682 posts
586 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There's red rice from Thailand (and possibly south China too), also called cargo rice. Quite a nutty flavour and a bit crunchy. Got some but haven't used it in yet. It is used in a milky dessert.

There was a blue rice from northern Malaysia (Kota Bahru area) but not sure if it is cultivated anymore.

Besides arborio, there are other Italia rice varieties that I am not familiar with, and there is one for paella.

FWIW, wild rice is not a rice.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Mar 27, 2011
664 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
I mix red rice with calrose rice to cut back on the white.
[OP]
May 26, 2007
843 posts
344 upvotes
This is good info. Keep in coming! It's like a science. Up until recently I thought rice was rice.l but it couldnt be further from the truth

This is what I usually get from Costco
https://www.amazon.ca/Kokuho-Rose-Rice- ... 4HSFZM8V3A

I dug up old thread.

amazon-ca-nishiki-japanese-rice-6-8kg-1 ... 1927927/2/

But im not sure how I feel about rice from Japan after the tragic Fukushima catastrophe.
Last edited by insomnia77 on Jan 14th, 2019 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1682 posts
586 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
All are very different. Some of my family don't like basmati (especially brown) because it smells like and even tastes a bit like jute.

I like white basmati as it is less dense than jasmine (which I haven't bought to make at home for a long time). 2 measures water to 1 measure rice for this. Rinse and pre-soak 2 hours (or so they say). 10 minutes cook time once it gets to a boil (or 4 mins in an Instant pot). Delicious with cardamon but i've never succeeded in infusing the flavour experienced a better Indian restaurants. I've heard some stories about the rice being fried in ghee first.

White jasmine, 1 1/2 measures water? I usually double the water level from the rice depth (i.e., if there is 1 cm of rice in the pot, I fill with water to 2 cm level). 20 mins at boil/simmer. A variant, used for Hainan chicken rice is: addition of coconut if you're in Hainan, or 2) fry the rice in oil and garlic until pearly and cook in chicken broth if you're in SE Asia.

If making rice for fried rice, it's best to use a lot less water. I use 1.5:1 for white basmati, 1:1 for white jasmine to get it to restaurant-like consistency.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6711 posts
1368 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 8:29 pm

Besides arborio, there are other Italia rice varieties that I am not familiar with, and there is one for paella.
Carnaroli is one good one for risotto. PC brand does a Bomba rice, good for paella.

My current favourite is Dainty Eagle Patna rice, white so maybe not the most nutritious, but flavour is so nice.