Home & Garden

Calling all roofing experts and homeowners! What's in a good roof?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 11:05 pm
[OP]
Jul 9, 2010
84 posts
1 upvote

Calling all roofing experts and homeowners! What's in a good roof?

Hi everybody!

We're replacing our roof this summer, and would love your advice on this project as it's not cheap! We got a quote from a contractor a neighbour recommended. The price he gave us is around $3700, or $3300 if me and a bunch of neighbours get it done together. We have a townhouse, which is an end unit with a cat walk.

I'm hoping to get some advice on the details the contractor mentioned, because it flew over my head during the discussion.

Here is a list of things the contractor mentions he'll do;
  • Remove non-functioning sheet metal flashing detail and dispose if not reusable
  • Remove existing roof down to decking (plywood) and dispose of debris
  • Install ice & water shield 3 feet high along eaves (in valleys)
  • Install new plumbing stack flashing in valleys
  • Installing duraflo roofing vents and new exhaust vents
  • Reseal wall flashing + reseal counter flashing, eavestrough and cleanout

Some guarantees he provides are
  • Wind speed rating of 180 KM
  • 40 year material warranty + 10 year workmanship warranty (not covering animal damage or ice damming)
  • Shingles are made of fiberglass.
  • All workers are insured, and will place tarps/plywood to prevent damage to the house/garden during the process.
  • 5-6 nails per shingle. Shingle brand is BP Mystique.

Questions
1.) What is a reasonable price for roofing installation? $3700 or $3300 is a bit on the pricey side.
2.) What type of things should we, as homeowners, want for our roof? For instance, the ice and water shield is optional but could be added on for $70.
3.) What does it mean to reseal wall flashing / install new plumbing stack flashing etc? Is there a certain way it should be done?
4.) Are there any questions that would be good to ask my contractor for more clarification?

Would love to get help from any roofing experts out there and also folks that have gotten a new roof installed. What was your experience like with your roofing contractor? Any types of questions I should be thinking of asking my own contractor?

Thanks so much for your help everyone! Roofing is a pretty big project for us to tackle this summer, and one we don't want to rush!
Last edited by Dostk on Jun 21st, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Oct 24, 2016
581 posts
405 upvotes
ON
Which brand of shingles? What about synthetic underlayment, is that included in the price? How many nails on a shingle?
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1168 posts
680 upvotes
Etobicoke
I would get ice and water shield on the whole roof, not just the bottom 3 feet. Not much more money for a lot more protection

And $3700,3300 sounds like a deal......would you want to stand on top of a townhouse doing a roof? not worth it as a DIY.
[OP]
Jul 9, 2010
84 posts
1 upvote
Holystone wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 8:49 pm
Which brand of shingles? What about synthetic underlayment, is that included in the price? How many nails on a shingle?
The brand is BP Mystique. Not sure about synthetic underlayment, could you elaborate on that?

He mentioned 5-6 nails per shingle.
xxxray wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 9:00 pm
I would get ice and water shield on the whole roof, not just the bottom 3 feet. Not much more money for a lot more protection

And $3700,3300 sounds like a deal......would you want to stand on top of a townhouse doing a roof? not worth it as a DIY.
Well, I was mostly wondering if other contractors could offer a better rate. All the big brand names, i.e. Lowes/Home Depot charge upwards 3.5 to 4.5K. But I've heard some people get it done around $2500 as well through some companies that have good ratings on Homestars and other online review sites.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11774 posts
11412 upvotes
Oakville
How many square feet is your roof?
May 12, 2014
787 posts
410 upvotes
Markham, ON
Here's what was just completed on my house, two story 1500 sqf.

This is extra pricey, but I sleep better. *Roofer determined I didn't need a drip edge due to the slope. He also made sure there is adequate ventilation so ice damming should not be an issue, we'll see this winter as I did have some damming. With proper ventilation and insulation, you should not have any damming.

What's not in my quote is that I had 4 roof exhaust and all 4 holes were covered with plywood and screws and two new holes added for the new vents so the new vents were installed per manufacturer specification. There shouldn't be mixed styles of vents.

I was set on having the flashing changed, not just resealed because a co-worker had flashing resealed and had leaks after. Leaks are not the norm but I didn't want to risk it.

Roof
- Protect the property with plywood and tarps to minimize the impact of stripping the roof on the property
- Remove all existing shingles off of roof surface
- Thorough inspection of roof boards/sheeting for damage
- Excessive replacement planking/sheeting will be an additional charge
- Remove and dispose of all roofing debris from premises, followed by a magnetic clean up
- Install lapped hipping to match laminate shingles ( 5.5" exposure, 2" exposure, 5.5" exposure ....)
- Install 2 new 301 Maximum vents - http://www.ventilation-maximum.com/Engl ... el301.html
- Install all new powder coated steel "W" valley
- Install new exhaust pipe flanges
- Install new powder coated steel counter flashing
- Install new powder coated steel wall flashing
- High grade Ice & Water Shield; the first three feet of the roof, around all vents, flanges, skylights, metal and brick chimneys, down the center of all valleys and up all runs of step flashings - Titanium PSU30
- Wrap the balance with synthetic underlayment - Titanium UDL25 http://www.interwrap.com/Titanium/udl_25_main.html
- Install Limited Lifetime Manufacturer Warranted IKO Fibreglass 'Cambridge' Laminate shingles

10 Year Workmanship Warranty
To replace the roof as specified above - $5,840.00 plus HST
[OP]
Jul 9, 2010
84 posts
1 upvote
engineered wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 1:25 am
How many square feet is your roof?
Well, looking at my house records, it's approximately 1500 sqf.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11332 posts
4626 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
A few things that seem to be overlooked:

1. Use metal when you can - ie forget about any plastic or vinyl vents, only use metal ones.
2. Verify the number and placement of vents are correct and up to code. Just because the old vents were there, doesn't mean that they were done right. Ideally, you replace your existing exhaust vents with a ridge vent.
3. Clean out all debris from gutters and drainage areas of the roof.
4. Some roofing contractors also do chimneys... if they do, see if they are throw in an inspection as well as repointing of the mortar (that's a couple of hundred bucks in value that cost them next to nothing but would cost you if you need it done).
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11774 posts
11412 upvotes
Oakville
Dostk wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 6:18 pm
Well, looking at my house records, it's approximately 1500 sqf.
$3300 seems like a decent price.