Food & Drink

Calling for culinary experts (re: Truffle)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2004 7:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA

Calling for culinary experts (re: Truffle)

Finally got a hand on a couple of small truffles. A friend of mine bought them from Germany. Just 3 very small one, roughly the size of a big rasperry. Nothing too fancy but I'm very excited since I've never had truffle before.

Does anyone know of a recipe that can make good use of truffle? I don't have a lot, and I have never had it before, so I want to make sure I can get a good taste of truffle from the dish.

Those are stored in a small glass jar, with a minimal amount of liquid inside (oil, I assume?). How long can that last? It's all written in German, and it doesn't have an expiry date.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4895 posts
316 upvotes
I heard truffles taste like dirt/mud
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11979 posts
282 upvotes
Truffles have a very subtle taste, and shouldn't be added to overpoweringly flavoured dishes. You'll find them often in risottos, and in some very expensive restaurants you'll see them on eggs of various preparations.

Since you have the opportunity to play with them a bit, I recommend you DO try them by themselves so that you know what you are looking for once you choose a dish to try them in. You need to expose a lot of surface area to get the most out of them, so use a shaver or a very sharp knife to get some extremely thin slices, and let one or two melt on your tongue. Alternatively, you could shave some into some GOOD olive oil with the tiniest amount of pepper, and try that on some soft white bread.

After you're done playing around with them, choose a recipe...something simple like a truffle omelette or if you have some time and a sense of adventure, try a truffle risotto with lobster or pheasant

Enjoy it! My #1 piece of advice is to not be intimidated by it "because it's so rare"...you'll just end up ruining it and wondering what the big deal is all about. Play around with it in a few ways.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2732 posts
132 upvotes
Peterborough
Make a duxelle – 2 1/2 cups of mushrooms chopped fine (very, very fine), 1 medium onion chopped fine 1/2 tsp each of salt and sugar, 3 tbsp of butter. Cook the onions in the butter until clear, add the mushrooms, salt, sugar. Add some truffle shavings. Cook on low to medium heat until most of the liquid is gone. You end up with a pasty looking goo that tatses absolutely awesome. We use it as a ravioli stuffing (i.e won ton wrappers will do), or on French bread/garlic bread. makes a nice side with beef or a base for gravy/sauce.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Yummmmm! Lots of good advice around here, as expected. Thanks all.

Yeah, I think I'm being overly cautious mostly because I've never dealt with it before, and it's not easy to come by. I cook fair a bit and I always drooled of the idea of using truffles from teh cooking shows and such. Now I finally get them and I'm freaking out. :o

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find truffles in GTA, or better yet, Kitchener/Waterloo area? My guess would be the likes of St Lawrence Market but it's a bit out of my way. Then again, I'll go the distance for some goodies, no doubt.

Next ppurchase -- Truffle slicer/shaver.
Nov 5, 2001
758 posts
19 upvotes
I notice a lot of upscale take-outs will carry the higher end items. Places like Verity (on Queen) and Dash (on the Danforth) cater to this market. You'd have to call and verify though.

Mebbe check places in Waterloo area like that? Not sure where you'd find 'em.
foodpr0n.com 11/02/15: Comforting Campagnolo // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2004
1663 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
There's this place close to my work (Woodbine & 14) called Olympic Deli, they carry the black truffles (in a jar just like you mentioned) for about $14.99 or so 2-3 pieces and white and black truffle oil (like $8.99). Only place I've seen them so far.

Anyone know where I can get a truffle slicer?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
S14_Raven wrote:There's this place close to my work (Woodbine & 14) called Olympic Deli, they carry the black truffles (in a jar just like you mentioned) for about $14.99 or so 2-3 pieces and white and black truffle oil (like $8.99). Only place I've seen them so far.

Anyone know where I can get a truffle slicer?
Thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind about Olympic Deli. Thanks. And thanks for your input too, Jen.

As for the truffle slicer, I'm gonna make a run to Kitchen Plus, and Caynnes sometimes soon. Those 2 carry a variety of kitchen supply so maybe they'll have it. Gizmo's, maybe?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2732 posts
132 upvotes
Peterborough
JLunar wrote:I love the wonton wrapper ravioli trick.. makes my life so much easier. Plus, tastes better IMO.
Gotta confess, that's my wifes approach. If I don't give her credit and get caught I could be eating out of a can for a week ...
May 10, 2003
22 posts
Toronto
For the truffles in a can or a jar, they may be summer truffles which have absolutely no flavour at all. They aren't really worth buying.

Winter truffles are the ones that are most sought after and are the most flavourful. Other than just shaving truffles into a dish, i remember reading an article about a guy who stored his truffles with his eggs so that it would infuse his eggs with truffle flavours. Can't hurt to try it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
31 upvotes
Interesting.....I think that I will enjoy chocolate truffles a lot more.

Truffles IMHO (never had them) are prob very overrated...much like Caviar , Champagne, steak tartare and some others. Snob food.
:twisted: