Automotive

Calling insurance for coverage

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 6:41 pm
[OP]
Member
Jul 2, 2009
401 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal

Calling insurance for coverage

Someone scratched my car while it was parked outside of work.

I want to call my insurance to know my coverage (do I have to pay a franchise/will it go on my record?). The repair is only 200$ at local shop.

Will the insurance automatically count this as a claim or put it on my account even if I decide not to go ahead with a claim?

The person offered to pay half of the cost of the repair and not the full amount.

I had no insurance claims in the past 10+ years.

Thank you
25 replies
Member
User avatar
Nov 30, 2007
283 posts
109 upvotes
If it happened in a parking lot it will probably be a claim under first party collision if you carry the coverage and it usually has a deductible (~$3-500). Totally not worth it for minimal damage and then to have a claim on your history. No harm in calling your insurance co. to ask, just don't open a claim.

IMO if the culprit is willing to split the $200 with you then just go that route. If they caused the damage they should be paying the whole thing, though.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11745 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
For a small damage of $200 and the guy willing to pay half, just suck it.
Unless you think the damage may cost more than $200, like over $2000, like the door and fender has to repainted, etc...then go through insurance in that case.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Member
Jul 2, 2009
401 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal
So I countered for 150$, he refused.

I accepted for him to pay half, but then he says he will pay only after the repairs are done and I show him the bill.

I tell him I will have no recourse after I do the repairs if he ends up not paying. I even offer to sign a paper removing him from any responsaibility if he pays.

He refused. I will go through the insurance. Very frustrating...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11745 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
Bambinos wrote: So I countered for 150$, he refused.

I accepted for him to pay half, but then he says he will pay only after the repairs are done and I show him the bill.

I tell him I will have no recourse after I do the repairs if he ends up not paying. I even offer to sign a paper removing him from any responsaibility if he pays.

He refused. I will go through the insurance. Very frustrating...
It is in QC, so insurance may work differently but it is the same overall.

He want to see the bill first because he doesn't want to you to pocket the money and not repairing it or get it done dirty cheap.
IMO, the guy is stupid if he is 100% at fault. If you decide to go through insurance and he is 100% at fault, he will have a at fault claim against him and this will cost him many times more of than $150.

Collision deductible varies, some are $300, $500, and $1000. It is stupid to make a $200 claim and pay that deductible. At the end, OP will pay his $500 deductible for a $200 worth of damage.....
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
862 posts
1294 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
So much misinformation in this thread...

First off, OP is not at fault. If OP is not at fault, OP has nothing to lose going through insurance other than loss of resale value because the repair will show up on a carproof/carfax. OP insurance will not increase for a not at fault claim.

Secondly, OP is not at fault so he does not have to pay a deductible for repairs.

Thirdly, why is the other party only offering to pay for half? OP is 0% at fault (His car was parked) and the other person backed into him and scratched his car. If he doesn't want to go through insurance, he will pay the cost of repairs at the BODYSHOP OF MY CHOICE (Not his brother or friend), and also car rental for the 2-3 days it takes to fix. If he refuses, then go through insurance. You don't owe him any favours, he is inconveniencing your life through his actions. Why the F would I even pay $1 for someone else's mistake, let alone offer to split 50/50?

Fourthly, just because this happened in a parking lot doesn't mean anything, OP is still 100% not at fault. Biggest automotive myth that is debunked in a simple google search. Sad that it's still "Common knowledge".
[OP]
Member
Jul 2, 2009
401 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal
Lot’s of mixed information in here!

But thanks anyways. Will do an insurance claim and let you know what happens next...
Member
User avatar
Nov 30, 2007
283 posts
109 upvotes
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: So much misinformation in this thread...

First off, OP is not at fault. If OP is not at fault, OP has nothing to lose going through insurance other than loss of resale value because the repair will show up on a carproof/carfax. OP insurance will not increase for a not at fault claim.

Secondly, OP is not at fault so he does not have to pay a deductible for repairs.

Thirdly, why is the other party only offering to pay for half? OP is 0% at fault (His car was parked) and the other person backed into him and scratched his car. If he doesn't want to go through insurance, he will pay the cost of repairs at the BODYSHOP OF MY CHOICE (Not his brother or friend), and also car rental for the 2-3 days it takes to fix. If he refuses, then go through insurance. You don't owe him any favours, he is inconveniencing your life through his actions. Why the F would I even pay $1 for someone else's mistake, let alone offer to split 50/50?

Fourthly, just because this happened in a parking lot doesn't mean anything, OP is still 100% not at fault. Biggest automotive myth that is debunked in a simple google search. Sad that it's still "Common knowledge".
You will need to have some proof that the other party is at fault. Considering they are only offering to pay half unless you had a dash cam on it seems like he will argue it if questioned by his insurer. If both insurance companies cannot determine who is at fault it will be split 50/50. So yes, it can be marked as an at-fault accident! Granted... I'm speaking from experience in Ontario. In QC I believe auto is provided by the province? Not sure... IMO the $100 is not worth the hassle of going through an insurance claim. A number of not-at-fault accidents can deem you a high risk driver as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3763 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
wyseguy wrote: If it happened in a parking lot it will probably be a claim under first party collision if you carry the coverage and it usually has a deductible (~$3-500). Totally not worth it for minimal damage and then to have a claim on your history. No harm in calling your insurance co. to ask, just don't open a claim.

IMO if the culprit is willing to split the $200 with you then just go that route. If they caused the damage they should be paying the whole thing, though.
You don't need collision coverage to make a claim if someone crashed into you. Not having collision coverage just means when you're at fault, you're not covered.
wyseguy wrote: You will need to have some proof that the other party is at fault. Considering they are only offering to pay half unless you had a dash cam on it seems like he will argue it if questioned by his insurer. If both insurance companies cannot determine who is at fault it will be split 50/50. So yes, it can be marked as an at-fault accident! Granted... I'm speaking from experience in Ontario. In QC I believe auto is provided by the province? Not sure... IMO the $100 is not worth the hassle of going through an insurance claim. A number of not-at-fault accidents can deem you a high risk driver as well.
OP's front bumper is damaged, and the other party's rear bumper is damaged........there isn't much to argue there to determine fault. If there's a disagreement between both sides of the story, both parties will be interviewed by insurance company under oath. So I guess if the other person wants lie under oath, then sure, your scenario might be the case.

And not-at-faults accidents does not deem you a high risk driver. Just because this happened in a parking lot, it's not automatic 50/50 fault determination. Plenty of scenarios where it is not 50/50, parking lot still has throughway, people backing into you, etc etc.

Stop spreading non sense please.
Member
User avatar
Nov 30, 2007
283 posts
109 upvotes
thephenom wrote: OP's front bumper is damaged, and the other party's rear bumper is damaged........there isn't much to argue there to determine fault. If there's a disagreement between both sides of the story, both parties will be interviewed by insurance company under oath. So I guess if the other person wants lie under oath, then sure, your scenario might be the case.

And not-at-faults accidents does not deem you a high risk driver. Just because this happened in a parking lot, it's not automatic 50/50 fault determination. Plenty of scenarios where it is not 50/50, parking lot still has throughway, people backing into you, etc etc.
OP never claimed where the damage was but that is irrelevant. If neither insurer can confirm fault it can be 50/50 and this is particularly common in parking lots where parked vehicles are hit all the time, damage is minimal and fault is not obvious (no stop signs, unsure of right of way). I guess you are really betting on the integrity of people filing insurance claims.

A single not at fault accident is fine. Multiple not at fault accidents in a short-term can definitely drive up your insurance rates. You can either look it up or believe me. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3763 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
wyseguy wrote: OP never claimed where the damage was but that is irrelevant. If neither insurer can confirm fault it can be 50/50 and this is particularly common in parking lots where parked vehicles are hit all the time, damage is minimal and fault is not obvious (no stop signs, unsure of right of way). I guess you are really betting on the integrity of people filing insurance claims.

A single not at fault accident is fine. Multiple not at fault accidents in a short-term can definitely drive up your insurance rates. You can either look it up or believe me. :)
Have enough actuary friends that works in the industry, don't need to believe you. And guess what? They actually work on the pricing algorithm. I would love to see which company you know rates against not-at-fault accidents, FSRA would love to hear it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4462 posts
3730 upvotes
Oakville, ON
thephenom wrote: OP's front bumper is damaged, and the other party's rear bumper is damaged........there isn't much to argue there to determine fault. If there's a disagreement between both sides of the story, both parties will be interviewed by insurance company under oath. So I guess if the other person wants lie under oath, then sure, your scenario might be the case.

And not-at-faults accidents does not deem you a high risk driver. Just because this happened in a parking lot, it's not automatic 50/50 fault determination. Plenty of scenarios where it is not 50/50, parking lot still has throughway, people backing into you, etc etc.

Stop spreading non sense please.
Where the damage is on either vehicle says nothing about who is at fault.
Sr. Member
Jan 1, 2015
700 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's funny how it wasn't OP's fault (so he says) and the person is offering to only pay 50/50 lol.

I would have politely told him to beat it and I'll deal with insurance. If it's not your fault, then there's no reason not to go with insurance, especially when the other party tried to swindle you like that. I would recommend to perhaps get some evidence before it turns into a he said/she said game, otherwise, you might not even get any money out of it.

If one of you hit someone and it's your fault, would you have the audacity to only pay HALF?
[OP]
Member
Jul 2, 2009
401 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: So much misinformation in this thread...

First off, OP is not at fault. If OP is not at fault, OP has nothing to lose going through insurance other than loss of resale value because the repair will show up on a carproof/carfax. OP insurance will not increase for a not at fault claim.

Secondly, OP is not at fault so he does not have to pay a deductible for repairs.

Thirdly, why is the other party only offering to pay for half? OP is 0% at fault (His car was parked) and the other person backed into him and scratched his car. If he doesn't want to go through insurance, he will pay the cost of repairs at the BODYSHOP OF MY CHOICE (Not his brother or friend), and also car rental for the 2-3 days it takes to fix. If he refuses, then go through insurance. You don't owe him any favours, he is inconveniencing your life through his actions. Why the F would I even pay $1 for someone else's mistake, let alone offer to split 50/50?

Fourthly, just because this happened in a parking lot doesn't mean anything, OP is still 100% not at fault. Biggest automotive myth that is debunked in a simple google search. Sad that it's still "Common knowledge".
Seems like you were spot on.

No deductible because I am not at fault.
I get to chose the garage of the choice for the repair (Honda dealer).
I will get a replacement car when the car gets repaired.
[OP]
Member
Jul 2, 2009
401 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal
FrugalConsumer wrote: It's funny how it wasn't OP's fault (so he says) and the person is offering to only pay 50/50 lol.

I would have politely told him to beat it and I'll deal with insurance. If it's not your fault, then there's no reason not to go with insurance, especially when the other party tried to swindle you like that. I would recommend to perhaps get some evidence before it turns into a he said/she said game, otherwise, you might not even get any money out of it.

If one of you hit someone and it's your fault, would you have the audacity to only pay HALF?
I understand your point, but not everyone is as knowledgeable about this as you would think. A lot of people will say don’t go through insurance for only 200$. 2 people told me to accept half, the bodywork place where I got the estimate said the same thing and people in this thread too.

If I hit someone, I would either pay full or tell the person to go through insurance, but not everyone is as nice.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
862 posts
1294 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Bambinos wrote: Seems like you were spot on.

No deductible because I am not at fault.
I get to chose the garage of the choice for the repair (Honda dealer).
I will get a replacement car when the car gets repaired.
Congrats. There is also a sense of satisfaction over the moron that hit you who will have an at fault accident on their record for the next 6 years with accompanying increased premiums, because he didn't want to pay $50 more Face With Tears Of Joy
[OP]
Member
Jul 2, 2009
401 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal
So I went to the Honda dealership for the repair. He looked and the scratches, said they were minor and suggested to leave it as is...
He said it would increase my insurance etc. I had to insist that I want him to do the repair.

Then got a quote from my insurance that the repairs were accepted. But it’s 800$ at Honda vs the 200$ I was quoted at local body shop. Is that okay?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3763 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Bambinos wrote: So I went to the Honda dealership for the repair. He looked and the scratches, said they were minor and suggested to leave it as is...
He said it would increase my insurance etc. I had to insist that I want him to do the repair.

Then got a quote from my insurance that the repairs were accepted. But it’s 800$ at Honda vs the 200$ I was quoted at local body shop. Is that okay?
It's getting through insurance anyway, so I'd go through Honda (or whatever repair shop your insurance recommends). $200 to respray a bumper is bit on the low side. (Whereas $800 are on the high side).
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
862 posts
1294 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Bambinos wrote: So I went to the Honda dealership for the repair. He looked and the scratches, said they were minor and suggested to leave it as is...
He said it would increase my insurance etc. I had to insist that I want him to do the repair.

Then got a quote from my insurance that the repairs were accepted. But it’s 800$ at Honda vs the 200$ I was quoted at local body shop. Is that okay?
Sounds about right, dealership labour and paint where cost is not a concern. Vs a shop where cost is the most important factor to the customer (regardless of quality of work).

No, your insurance won't increase, at least not due to the accident because you're not at fault. It can still increase because of general rate increase across the board and whatever BS reason insurance gives (Bad year, more accidents in area, more accidents of make and model, "COVID")

Top