Automotive

Calling insurance for coverage

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 6:41 pm
Aug 30, 2020
981 posts
1468 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
thephenom wrote: It's getting through insurance anyway, so I'd go through Honda (or whatever repair shop your insurance recommends). $200 to respray a bumper is bit on the low side. (Whereas $800 are on the high side).
I wouldn't bring a car to the insurance recommended repair shop, they are often the cheapest (for insurance) and lowest work quality. My dad had a trunk replaced at insurance recommended Carstar from a rear end and it leaked water in the winter (Also poor paint quality finish, overspray, orange peel texture) . He brought it back multiple times and it was never fixed, honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just left it in the lot for 4 hours and didn't do anything to it at all. In the end had to fix himself.

Instead bring it to dealership bodyshop or manufacturer certified bodyshop. I had another rear end that was way more severe, almost 10k in damage. It was repaired at dealership bodyshop with OEM parts, never had a problem afterwards 8 years later.

The insurance "lifetime guarantee if brought to our recommended shops" is a trick because the shop that you bring it to will warranty the repairs anyways.
Jul 9, 2009
365 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Bambinos wrote: So I went to the Honda dealership for the repair. He looked and the scratches, said they were minor and suggested to leave it as is...
He said it would increase my insurance etc. I had to insist that I want him to do the repair.

Then got a quote from my insurance that the repairs were accepted. But it’s 800$ at Honda vs the 200$ I was quoted at local body shop. Is that okay?
Hey what's the name of the bodyshop. They seem fair.

You can PM me.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1718 posts
1216 upvotes
Montreal, QC
radiological wrote: Hey what's the name of the bodyshop. They seem fair.

You can PM me.
According to his profile, the original poster is in Montreal. According to your profile, you're in Toronto. Even if it is a good price, the cost and time to bring your car from Toronto to Montreal would probably make whatever price quoted not worth it.
Jul 9, 2009
365 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
lmcjipo wrote: According to his profile, the original poster is in Montreal. According to your profile, you're in Toronto. Even if it is a good price, the cost and time to bring your car from Toronto to Montreal would probably make whatever price quoted not worth it.
So true! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5556 posts
3067 upvotes
Toronto
Bambinos wrote: So I went to the Honda dealership for the repair. He looked and the scratches, said they were minor and suggested to leave it as is...
He said it would increase my insurance etc. I had to insist that I want him to do the repair.

Then got a quote from my insurance that the repairs were accepted. But it’s 800$ at Honda vs the 200$ I was quoted at local body shop. Is that okay?
Honda sends your car over to the cheapo body shop they use, just like the insurance, however only difference is that you get a piece of paper that says "HONDA" on top and charges you/insurance triple the cost.
[OP]
Jul 2, 2009
404 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal
peteryorkuca wrote: Honda sends your car over to the cheapo body shop they use, just like the insurance, however only difference is that you get a piece of paper that says "HONDA" on top and charges you/insurance triple the cost.
That Honda dealership has an actual big Body Shop facility.