• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2021 6:16 pm
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes

Calling rogers for new basic internet - cable

Hello
I have basic dsl connection with teksavvy and has been very unstable. I am thinking to go to Rogers with cable connection. I want basic internet connection only. I only have laptop. Before I call Rogers, and I do not want them to rip me off with price and other stuff like renting modem or service connection fees etc. Can you please tell me what should I do or ask for to get good deal and avoid being ripped off by them. They advertise the basic connection is around 50. Is that fixed price or I can get it down a bit? Thank you so much in advance.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2628 posts
442 upvotes
like you say, $50 is the advertised price, you can definitely call them to negotiate, some people here on RFD even able to get ignite internet for around $50
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks for your reply, wow Ignite for 50? What is the secret? Thank you.
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes
Someone told me long time ago, I need to ask Rogers to speak with ???? department and they are the one who would give good price/deal. I do not recall that dept
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4366 posts
1709 upvotes
GTA
lwlwlwlw wrote: Someone told me long time ago, I need to ask Rogers to speak with ???? department and they are the one who would give good price/deal. I do not recall that dept
Retentions dept, but that's only if you have rogers cable, its not for new customers.
Try switching to cable with teksavvy, they have many options.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11152 posts
2912 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Have you talked to Teksavvy? Majority of the time the issue is with your phone line & not teksavvy (or else there would be a major outage or something) That being said DSL & teksavvy is generally very reliable and consistent, more then rogers) So I would say fix your issue because rogers will end up increasing your rates every year.

When you say very unstable what exactly is the issue you are having? Are you dropping DSL Sync? Just wireless? What about hard wired?
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hello
I have basic dsl connection with teksavvy and has been very unstable. I am thinking to go to Rogers with cable connection. I want basic internet connection only. I only have laptop. Before I call Rogers, and I do not want them to rip me off with price and other stuff like renting modem or service connection fees etc. Can you please tell me what should I do or ask for to get good deal and avoid being ripped off by them. They advertise the basic connection is around 50. Is that fixed price or I can get it down a bit? Thank you so much in advance.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4734 posts
1144 upvotes
Scarborough
Why don't you just switch to cable internet with Teksavvy, they just piggyback off Rogers.
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes
No it is not an issue with my end. I bought 2 modems and it is the same issue. Today teksavvy opened a ticket with Bell Canada. Bell tech told me it is because my physical location is far from the central office CO. I have been having this issue from time to time and sometime it stay for a week. Tek Savvy told me it is an old DSL and I need to upgrade to get stable connection. I said why I need to upgrade. I signed up for this plan and you did not advertise it as a faulty connection otherwise I wont sign up for it. He said we did not know that would be an issue in the future, I said whatever the solution is, your need to provide me with stable connection and I do not need to pay extra money to get a stable connection. All the time they tell me it is my modem issue then Bell would find it is Line issue and then they would say if that happen again then give us a call so we can go to the next step. I said how many calls do I need to call to get you go to the next step. I have been wasting my time and money because of that.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4366 posts
1709 upvotes
GTA
lwlwlwlw wrote: No it is not an issue with my end. I bought 2 modems and it is the same issue.
Switch to cable with teksavvy...
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes
I just checked Tek Savvy website to see what kind of Cable plans they have but I only see they have DSL. I even google it and only DSL plans came up from Tek Savvy!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4366 posts
1709 upvotes
GTA
lwlwlwlw wrote: I just checked Tek Savvy website to see what kind of Cable plans they have but I only see they have DSL. I even google it and only DSL plans came up from Tek Savvy!
Try ebox, start, carrytel, vmedia and so forth for cable.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4734 posts
1144 upvotes
Scarborough
lwlwlwlw wrote: I just checked Tek Savvy website to see what kind of Cable plans they have but I only see they have DSL. I even google it and only DSL plans came up from Tek Savvy!
Does Rogers offer cable at your location? Usually if Rogers offer it, Teksavvy and all the other 3rd party ISP will offer it as well. You can open a ticket with Teksavvy to check as my place was not originally on it as well for Teksavvy.
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes
Yes Rogers offer cable at my location. I live Toronto west.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5803 posts
2809 upvotes
Global Village
A basic cable 5 service should be all you need for a laptop, that's what I have for $20 per month through Surf Internet, it's Rogers cable internet service.
All day I dream about sports
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes
scoper wrote: A basic cable 5 service should be all you need for a laptop, that's what I have for $20 per month through Surf Internet, it's Rogers cable internet service.
Wow that is really good offer. I never heard about them before. Are you good? the connection reliable and stable? I hope they provide their services in Toronto. Thank you so much.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5803 posts
2809 upvotes
Global Village
lwlwlwlw wrote: Wow that is really good offer. I never heard about them before. Are you good? the connection reliable and stable? I hope they provide their services in Toronto. Thank you so much.
I'm in TO also, there's the rare Rogers cable internet service disruption that happens once or twice a year but otherwise it's good. I posted the below when I 1st signed up with them in case it helps.

surf-internet-basic-internet-5mbps-19-9 ... #p31139052
All day I dream about sports
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11152 posts
2912 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
What speed plan do you have with Teksavvy?

It sounds like you are on 15/1 or Lower connection which menas you are on ADSL2 which distance is more of an issue. Upgrading to 15/10 will put you on VDSL2 so they will switch your line to the box in your area which will be much closer then the central office & this way you will get a better connetion since its connected much closer and it will be Fiber optics from the box down the street to the bell Central office.

Or at least thats what it sounds like and Bell usually saves those boxes for VDSL2 clients.
I'm also in the West end like you, What is the main intersection by you? if its near me you should not have issues.
lwlwlwlw wrote: No it is not an issue with my end. I bought 2 modems and it is the same issue. Today teksavvy opened a ticket with Bell Canada. Bell tech told me it is because my physical location is far from the central office CO. I have been having this issue from time to time and sometime it stay for a week. Tek Savvy told me it is an old DSL and I need to upgrade to get stable connection. I said why I need to upgrade. I signed up for this plan and you did not advertise it as a faulty connection otherwise I wont sign up for it. He said we did not know that would be an issue in the future, I said whatever the solution is, your need to provide me with stable connection and I do not need to pay extra money to get a stable connection. All the time they tell me it is my modem issue then Bell would find it is Line issue and then they would say if that happen again then give us a call so we can go to the next step. I said how many calls do I need to call to get you go to the next step. I have been wasting my time and money because of that.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5286 posts
2845 upvotes
Toronto
Fido regularly have 50% off promo. Even when I call them for other cell phone stuff, they randomly offer you this. Same thing as rogers, but as least they don't raise $3-4 every 6 months and price remains same for duration of the term, 12months. When promo is done, call for extension or cancel and redo the promo.