Cell Phones

Calls from similar numbers

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2020 4:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2114 posts
1360 upvotes
Newmarket, ON

Calls from similar numbers

I often get calls on my cell phone (at least once a day, sometimes more) and when I answer the person on the other end thinks I called them. These calls always come from numbers with the same area code (647) plus same 1st 3 digits as my own number. Anybody know whats going on or how to stop this?
17 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
4670 posts
2025 upvotes
GTA
Somebody else made this very thread recently

What's happening is that scammers are using robo-callers to spam people. These robo-callers can spoof caller IDs. They've just happened to be spoofing your phone number. So whenever people are getting robo-called, they're seeing your number in their caller ID

There is nothing you can do about this
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7180 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dave98 wrote: Somebody else made this very thread recently

What's happening is that scammers are using robo-callers to spam people. These robo-callers can spoof caller IDs. They've just happened to be spoofing your phone number. So whenever people are getting robo-called, they're seeing your number in their caller ID

There is nothing you can do about this
I'm surprised the OP hasn't been on the receiving end of these calls - it's usually the "legal department of Service Canada" or the air duct cleaning service, and they always seem to display numbers matching your NPA-NXX.

Presumably it's different if you're in a small town where everybody has the same NPA-NXX, but if you're in a place like Toronto, you can basically presume that any call from a number with your cell phone's NPA-NXX is fraudulent, in my experience.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5197 posts
3701 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Someone even texted me why I called them haha. Told him he got scammed and he got so scared.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2114 posts
1360 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I thought it was either a glitch with the phone company, or some prankster with no life initiating 3-way calls with me and another random person so he can laugh at the confusion.

Anyways, I just discovered the default dialer on my LG phone can block all calls that start with a particular number, so I just enabled that. I think it's safe to assume any number that starts with same 3 digits as my own is not a legitimate call.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33559 posts
7232 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
BeapChastard wrote: I think it's safe to assume any number that starts with same 3 digits as my own is not a legitimate call.
That is a bad assumption. You are basically blocking an entire exchange. 9999 numbers (since you own the 10,000th number). There could very well be someone that has a legitimate number in your exchange.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 5, 2003
2404 posts
357 upvotes
North York
Gee wrote: That is a bad assumption. You are basically blocking an entire exchange. 9999 numbers (since you own the 10,000th number). There could very well be someone that has a legitimate number in your exchange.
True, but I've had far more faked numbers from my own exchange, then legit ones. It's something like 500:0 right now.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33559 posts
7232 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
cliff wrote: True, but I've had far more faked numbers from my own exchange, then legit ones. It's something like 500:0 right now.
That is only 5%. You are still alienating the other 95%

I get it, no one wants SPAM calls. But I would just block numbers as I get them
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 5, 2003
2404 posts
357 upvotes
North York
Gee wrote: That is only 5%. You are still alienating the other 95%

I get it, no one wants SPAM calls. But I would just block numbers as I get them
But that's a risk I'm willing to take, 500 fewer spam calls, and alienating no one that I know.

If someone I care about gets a new number, and it happens to be the same exchange as mine they can contact me some other way first, and I'll whitelist/add them to my contacts at that point, and until then I'll ignore them.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33559 posts
7232 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@cliff

Ultimately, it is your decision. If this works for you. I have no arguments

... but it is one exchange today, what about tomorrow? Another exchange? You will get to a point where you only white list numbers and everything is black listed.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4723 posts
1396 upvotes
0 downvotes
DO NOT block numbers, some of these scammers use legitimate numbers of other known businesses in your city and you could be potentially blocking a legit call. i did this in the past and blocked my DOCTOR office and completely misseed the confirmation call about my upcoming surgery and guess what? I got screwed in the end. dont do it, its NOT worth the risk., esp when doctors and what not sometimes call you from strange numbers you could be losing out, its not worth the risk, dont block, numbers, it does not even solve the problem
Hi
Newbie
Dec 3, 2020
34 posts
23 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: Somebody else made this very thread recently

What's happening is that scammers are using robo-callers to spam people. These robo-callers can spoof caller IDs. They've just happened to be spoofing your phone number. So whenever people are getting robo-called, they're seeing your number in their caller ID

There is nothing you can do about this
Thanks for confirming this. I figured scammers were cycling through numbers, didn’t peg them as legit phone numbers spoofed by scammers.

I generally don’t answer calls I don’t recognize. If it’s important, I have voicemail for the caller to leave a message.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1119 posts
205 upvotes
YYZ
in truecaller there is a feature called neighborhood spoofing.

so I always block similar numbers close to mine

say my number is

123-456-7890

so what I do is block

123-456-xxxx

so anyone with 123-456-7891, 123-456-0000 and so on gets blocked
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3231 posts
745 upvotes
It's not new... I get these call in batches. Sometimes I pick up, sometimes I don't. Like you I've had people on the line ask "so, I missed your call..." I just replied "I didn't call you." If I let it go to voicemail, some people leave a voicemail...
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4723 posts
1396 upvotes
0 downvotes
hoodrich wrote: I've been getting telemarketing calls with similar number as mine, if on Android use the Phone by Google - Caller ID & Spam Protection app https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_CA&gl=US and just block them
Caller ID and Spam Protection only knows if the number is bad, it does NOT know if the PERSON or Telemarketer calling you is BAD but disguising behind a known legit or good number. By blocking and marking those as spam you are putting other legit businesses in jeopardy because they basically are getting a bad rap and had absolutely nothing to do with it but the fact someone else used their number, so think twice before you report someone.
Hi

Top