• Feb 9th, 2021 5:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18881 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west

Cam locks or the like for attic access doors

Been seeing these more and more in new builds, having a latch to pull the attic hatch down more to seal it against the weatherstripping

When I first moved in, neither attic hatch had weather stripping, and checking one cold day, I had frost built up all around the upper portion of the attic hatch in the attic. Obviously warm air getting by the door and seeping up and freezing

After I added weather stripping, and checking it, its a lot better, but 2 corners seem to still have frost build up. No rot or mold issues, but Id rather not have this happen. The weight of the door, even with 3 sheets of ridgid foam, obviously isn't enough, or maybe the ledge itself where the foam is off.

Has anyone ever installed these to cinch the door down. As well, what type of weather stripping did you use. Ill admit I just grabbed some left over stuff I had in the garage from some other project. Closed cell or open cell, which is better?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2149 posts
1385 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
I had done this at my last house, using a couple of barrel bolts. As for weather stripping I just used a self adhesive weather stripping tape, it would compress to form a tight seal.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/everbi ... 1000771788
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
TruTech sells an attic hatch kit which is door jamb with compression weather stripping and a piece of a flush door. Seems like thats the right approach to DIY yourself to me. I have been looking for a flush door to cut up we pulled out of someone’s house, but so far no luck. Hatches in my town are generally in the garage though.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18881 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: TruTech sells an attic hatch kit which is door jamb with compression weather stripping and a piece of a flush door. Seems like thats the right approach to DIY yourself to me. I have been looking for a flush door to cut up we pulled out of someone’s house, but so far no luck. Hatches in my town are generally in the garage though.
I have 2 hatches, on for the house, and one for the garage itself. Old house has the house one in the garage as well.

Usualy the weather stripping works, but this time not like it should. Its a MDF panel, so I just want something solid to cinch it down. if I was starting from scratch that thing looks like it would work, but I have everyhting there, including the hatch in the attic thats tall to hold the insulation back
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9676 posts
5061 upvotes
Paris
WikkiWikki wrote: I have 2 hatches, on for the house, and one for the garage itself. Old house has the house one in the garage as well.

Usualy the weather stripping works, but this time not like it should. Its a MDF panel, so I just want something solid to cinch it down. if I was starting from scratch that thing looks like it would work, but I have everyhting there, including the hatch in the attic thats tall to hold the insulation back
Keep in mind all of this stuff is free for me. Old door jambs come in by the dozens every week, and I can get weather stripping near free. Its the flush door thats hard to come by.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18881 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: Keep in mind all of this stuff is free for me. Old door jambs come in by the dozens every week, and I can get weather stripping near free. Its the flush door thats hard to come by.
This is basically what I have in both house and garage. Just push it up and over to get in there. I want something clean at least for the house. Its in our master bedroom closet, so Id like something clean if Im taking the time to do it

Jun 26, 2019
820 posts
619 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: This is basically what I have in both house and garage. Just push it up and over to get in there. I want something clean at least for the house. Its in our master bedroom closet, so Id like something clean if Im taking the time to do it

Check out the link in my post above.

It should check all your boxes.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18881 posts
2427 upvotes
Out west
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Check out the link in my post above.

It should check all your boxes.
I did, it looks like I would need to change out everyhting? I jjust want to pull down the access for more to compress against the weather stripping better. Not replace a ton of stuff