• Sep 20th, 2020 6:40 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes

Cambodian boy masters 12 languages selling souvenirs to tourists

[Old video]
When he was in Cambodia, he went to school half of the day, then sold souvenirs to tourists the other half of the day.
And many people living here for so long still can't speak basic English...
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1349 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
Impressive. A most people like this kid really have to hustle to survive over there, The country is still recovering the effects of the war which tore it part with a government that isn't really developing the country like it could.

Being a developed country, we really don't have an idea of what "struggling" is compared to many parts of the world
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33936 posts
19771 upvotes
Ottawa
Click bait.
He's learned common words and phrases.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1292 posts
382 upvotes
Antarctica
TIL talking common words with tourists makes you a language master.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1757 posts
288 upvotes
Pluto
Yes, it's a wonderful story about a child who has to work to survive.

Beautiful.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12090 posts
3404 upvotes
GTA
Few years old........

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13040 posts
3525 upvotes
RFD
Saw this years ago. Good on that kid. I think he ended up getting to have an education in China. He made his life better.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24764 posts
3056 upvotes
Montreal
Purgatory wrote: Yes, it's a wonderful story about a child who has to work to survive.

Beautiful.
Wuss. When I was a I kid I had to work in the mines. ANd I was the canary.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6348 posts
3253 upvotes
Aurora
Hey the tourist woman who made the video is pretty talented in languages too. OK, the kid is talented. There's no way I could do that - maybe the kid doesn't have depth but you still need a talent in linguistics to accomplish what he did. Many North American kids can barely string together a five word sentence ... in English!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13088 posts
2181 upvotes
City of Vancouver
It is easier to learn languages when u r young than when u r older. It has to do with human brain development.. So, don't diss immigrants for having a hard time learning english.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
[OP]
Banned
Jun 8, 2020
97 posts
42 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Click bait.
The kid could carry on a conversation in complete sentences.
MANY Canadians don't even know a few common French words or phrases.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6623 posts
947 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Click bait.
He must be a disappointment to his parents. At his age, he should already be learning complex verb tenses on 4, if not 5 languages.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1031 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
If you have ever visited Cambodia and learn about their culture and history, you would understand how and why this is considered impressive for such a kid.
Stumbled upon RFD by mistake, best mistake of my internet life i must say...... :D
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18966 posts
1985 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
olddog wrote: If you have ever visited Cambodia and learn about their culture and history, you would understand how and why this is considered impressive for such a kid.
Why not educate those of us who don’t know? Post like this seems so anticlimactic.

Becks: you’re right about that. Some times is old farts need a reminder to show a little more humility. All I could think of when reading that was images of middle aged people yelling at immigrants to “speak English” like it’s second nature like chewing bubble gum and walking. Mean while these same bigots can’t even speak French to save their life, our second language! Many can’t but just shows the ugliness of people when they lose their child like innocence and become cantankerous and self contented.