• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2005 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts

Camcorder suggestion?

I am looking for a Camcorder this boxing day.
All I required is good video/audio & easy/fast transfer to computer.

Any experts out there?

Thanks
:) :mad: :0 :| :( :evil: :lol: :!:
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
canwin wrote:I am looking for a Camcorder this boxing day.
All I required is good video/audio & easy/fast transfer to computer.

Any experts out there?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat...looking for a decent MINIDV camcorder...have narrowed it down to either the Canon Optura 40 or Panasonic PV-GS200...probably go the Canon as I want the best 16:9 performance w/o having to actually go to a 16:9 camera (too much $$$ right now).

Want to give your head a spin.... go check out

www.camcorderinfo.com and read.... I've been reading and reading there..it never ends.

Although I do think that site is biased towards Panasonic for some reason....
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts
thanks rc51,

I want a MiniDV too. so many choices out there, gotta do some
research work.
:) :mad: :0 :| :( :evil: :lol: :!:
Newbie
Feb 16, 2004
25 posts
Barrie
I'm very interested in this topic myself, so I'd like to give it a "bump" to keep it fresh in people's minds. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6592 posts
177 upvotes
rc51 wrote:I'm in the same boat...looking for a decent MINIDV camcorder...have narrowed it down to either the Canon Optura 40 or Panasonic PV-GS200...probably go the Canon as I want the best 16:9 performance w/o having to actually go to a 16:9 camera (too much $$$ right now).
That's interesting because I read several good write-ups on the Sony DCR-HC20 including one from this site:

http://www.vancouvertelevision.com/olse ... 041215.htm
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14589 posts
5817 upvotes
Ottawa
Panasonic GS200 is a great camera.....the 3 CCD is a high end feature and it really makes a difference. Colours are more accurate, and the image has fewer aliasing artifacts.
Member
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
412 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a Sony HC-40. Very happy with it. I think he HC-30 is a good value. I ended up buying the HC-40 because I got a good deal and the place I bought it from did not carry the HC30.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 29, 2002
5101 posts
1585 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought the Panasonic GS14 but in the states (highly rated) ; they only carry GS 15 here
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6592 posts
177 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:Panasonic GS200 is a great camera.....the 3 CCD is a high end feature and it really makes a difference. Colours are more accurate, and the image has fewer aliasing artifacts.
OMG, it should be. I just seen the price. :eek:
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
Pavel wrote:OMG, it should be. I just seen the price. :eek:

You think that's a bad boy..check out the Panasonic PV-GS400!!!!

Now that's a camera...but I'm a little nervous about this tape transport problem they're rumored to be having.

The GS200 is nice..but supposedly lacks in performance when shooting in 16:9.... so my next best choice is the Canon 40... or possibly the GS400, if I can convince the frau to let me spend $2500 on a MiniDV!! :D
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts
I don't care much about the 16:9 or other fancy functions. Just
need a basic miniDV that can show some good clips under regular light.

After checked this year's boxing deal, pretty disappointed.

Probably go with JVC GR-D231U at BB, $550
or Canon Elura 65 at FS, $600.
:) :mad: :0 :| :( :evil: :lol: :!:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6592 posts
177 upvotes
canwin wrote:Just need a basic miniDV that can show some good clips under regular light.

Probably go with JVC GR-D231U at BB, $550
or Canon Elura 65 at FS, $600.
Have you considered the Canon ZR80 or the Sony DCR-H20? The Canon does very well under regular light but the Sony is rated highly under all conditions, especially low light. The Canon is also a lot cheaper than the JVC.
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts
Pavel wrote:Have you considered the Canon ZR80 or the Sony DCR-H20? The Canon does very well under regular light but the Sony is rated highly under all conditions, especially low light. The Canon is also a lot cheaper than the JVC.
I don't like Sony! IMO, they make over-rated craps. Bought some Sony products before, got some problems and can't get fixed.
:) :mad: :0 :| :( :evil: :lol: :!:
Member
User avatar
Apr 6, 2003
412 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
canwin wrote:I don't like Sony! IMO, they make over-rated craps. Bought some Sony products before, got some problems and can't get fixed.
I think Sony makes very good camcorders. I usually avoid other Sony stuff, but always buy Sony camcorders. Haven't had any problems.
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 31, 2004
44 posts
JuJu5522 wrote:How is the Hitachi DVD camcorder at 699?

Same question here. Why not buying a DVD camcorder?
[OP]
Member
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts
arezooman wrote:Same question here. Why not buying a DVD camcorder?
Why?

because :
1) it is expensive
2) it is not the popular technic
3) the DVD burner probably won't last as long as the tape driver
4) it seems like a cutting-edge technology, however, I believe it
will be out-dated by memory-card based camcorder in the next
1 or 2 years. right now, memory card cost about $100/G, next
year will be like $25/G. Therefore, the DVD burner will be the
technology between tape and memory-card, and doesn't have
competitive edge.
:) :mad: :0 :| :( :evil: :lol: :!:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 5, 2004
4474 posts
1043 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I have the Sony hc40 as well and love it. Sony makes awesome camcorders. No problems.
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2002
165 posts
18 upvotes
Olds
i was considering a canon minidv camcorder, but ended up purchasing a sony dcr-trv50 a while back... has bluetooth etc etc... welll worth the money i paid (2k) and am very very happy with it... outstanding pics and functionality.

regards,

-iD-

Top