• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2005 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts

Camcorder suggestion?

I am looking for a Camcorder this boxing day.
All I required is good video/audio & easy/fast transfer to computer.

Any experts out there?

Thanks
:) :mad: :0 :| :( :evil: :lol: :!:
18 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
canwin wrote:I am looking for a Camcorder this boxing day.
All I required is good video/audio & easy/fast transfer to computer.

Any experts out there?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat...looking for a decent MINIDV camcorder...have narrowed it down to either the Canon Optura 40 or Panasonic PV-GS200...probably go the Canon as I want the best 16:9 performance w/o having to actually go to a 16:9 camera (too much $$$ right now).

Want to give your head a spin.... go check out

www.camcorderinfo.com and read.... I've been reading and reading there..it never ends.

Although I do think that site is biased towards Panasonic for some reason....
[OP]
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts
thanks rc51,

I want a MiniDV too. so many choices out there, gotta do some
research work.
Feb 16, 2004
25 posts
Barrie
I'm very interested in this topic myself, so I'd like to give it a "bump" to keep it fresh in people's minds. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6592 posts
177 upvotes
rc51 wrote:I'm in the same boat...looking for a decent MINIDV camcorder...have narrowed it down to either the Canon Optura 40 or Panasonic PV-GS200...probably go the Canon as I want the best 16:9 performance w/o having to actually go to a 16:9 camera (too much $$$ right now).
That's interesting because I read several good write-ups on the Sony DCR-HC20 including one from this site:

http://www.vancouvertelevision.com/olse ... 041215.htm
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14589 posts
5817 upvotes
Ottawa
Panasonic GS200 is a great camera.....the 3 CCD is a high end feature and it really makes a difference. Colours are more accurate, and the image has fewer aliasing artifacts.
Apr 6, 2003
412 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a Sony HC-40. Very happy with it. I think he HC-30 is a good value. I ended up buying the HC-40 because I got a good deal and the place I bought it from did not carry the HC30.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5101 posts
1585 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought the Panasonic GS14 but in the states (highly rated) ; they only carry GS 15 here
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6592 posts
177 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:Panasonic GS200 is a great camera.....the 3 CCD is a high end feature and it really makes a difference. Colours are more accurate, and the image has fewer aliasing artifacts.
OMG, it should be. I just seen the price. :eek:
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
1850 posts
9 upvotes
Pavel wrote:OMG, it should be. I just seen the price. :eek:

You think that's a bad boy..check out the Panasonic PV-GS400!!!!

Now that's a camera...but I'm a little nervous about this tape transport problem they're rumored to be having.

The GS200 is nice..but supposedly lacks in performance when shooting in 16:9.... so my next best choice is the Canon 40... or possibly the GS400, if I can convince the frau to let me spend $2500 on a MiniDV!! :D
[OP]
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts
I don't care much about the 16:9 or other fancy functions. Just
need a basic miniDV that can show some good clips under regular light.

After checked this year's boxing deal, pretty disappointed.

Probably go with JVC GR-D231U at BB, $550
or Canon Elura 65 at FS, $600.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6592 posts
177 upvotes
canwin wrote:Just need a basic miniDV that can show some good clips under regular light.

Probably go with JVC GR-D231U at BB, $550
or Canon Elura 65 at FS, $600.
Have you considered the Canon ZR80 or the Sony DCR-H20? The Canon does very well under regular light but the Sony is rated highly under all conditions, especially low light. The Canon is also a lot cheaper than the JVC.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts
Pavel wrote:Have you considered the Canon ZR80 or the Sony DCR-H20? The Canon does very well under regular light but the Sony is rated highly under all conditions, especially low light. The Canon is also a lot cheaper than the JVC.
I don't like Sony! IMO, they make over-rated craps. Bought some Sony products before, got some problems and can't get fixed.
Apr 6, 2003
412 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
canwin wrote:I don't like Sony! IMO, they make over-rated craps. Bought some Sony products before, got some problems and can't get fixed.
I think Sony makes very good camcorders. I usually avoid other Sony stuff, but always buy Sony camcorders. Haven't had any problems.
Aug 31, 2004
44 posts
JuJu5522 wrote:How is the Hitachi DVD camcorder at 699?

Same question here. Why not buying a DVD camcorder?
[OP]
Aug 28, 2004
208 posts
arezooman wrote:Same question here. Why not buying a DVD camcorder?
Why?

because :
1) it is expensive
2) it is not the popular technic
3) the DVD burner probably won't last as long as the tape driver
4) it seems like a cutting-edge technology, however, I believe it
will be out-dated by memory-card based camcorder in the next
1 or 2 years. right now, memory card cost about $100/G, next
year will be like $25/G. Therefore, the DVD burner will be the
technology between tape and memory-card, and doesn't have
competitive edge.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4474 posts
1043 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I have the Sony hc40 as well and love it. Sony makes awesome camcorders. No problems.
Mar 12, 2002
165 posts
18 upvotes
Olds
i was considering a canon minidv camcorder, but ended up purchasing a sony dcr-trv50 a while back... has bluetooth etc etc... welll worth the money i paid (2k) and am very very happy with it... outstanding pics and functionality.

regards,

-iD-