Personal Finance

Came home from class to a kicked in front door...

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2006 9:06 am
Tags:
None
Dec 23, 2001
926 posts
125 upvotes

Came home from class to a kicked in front door...

Gotta love people. In all my years of living in rural northern ontario, I never thought this would happen. I get a call from my roommate today saying I should come home quick, we've been robbed.

Our place and another on the same street were hit today. I left for classes around 11am and my room mate came back around 6pm. Broad daylight!

Anyway, we've only been in this place (basement apartment in a ritzy lakefront cottage) since September, and never thought to get tennant insurance. In fact, up until October I was covered through my dad's house insurance, but that place was sold and now he's out of province so I'm sure it no longer applies.

The cops weren't (not surprisingly) useful. They said they'd check the hock shops in a few days. Yay. Thanks. They hinted that they might dust for prints then never mentioned it again. Lazy!

In total I figure I lost $1500 worth of stuff, my room mate about the same (they stole his laptop, both our digital cameras, MP3 players, battery chargers, our router etc) and our landlord's camcorder. What a pissoff. That said, it could have been much worse. In fact, this robber was a retard. He took my mp3 player without the case, my camera (DSC-T1) without the base to actually get pics off it, the router without the power brick... looks like he tried to steal my scanner as it's half off the shelf but the daunting USB cable was apparently too hard to unplug... ???

He RIPPED the LCD cord from the back of my roommate's computer. IE the VGA plug is still attached to the vid card, cord is not. Is that even repairable? It was the MDG Viewsonic price error monitor over Christmas.

I guess this is more of a rant than anything. All I can say is I'm happy he didn't steal my new X1900XTX that was sitting out in the open. That's probably why he didn't take my comp either - saw no value in something that was currently torn to bits :D

Problem is - he now knows what bigger items are here. I'm somewhat afraid he may return. In conclusion, if I had to be robbed, I'm glad it was this idiot who did it as my most prized posessions (save the camera) are still here.

People who do such things just disgust me

/End Rant

I guess I do have a question though. Is there any way we might see our stuff back again? Those that have been through this, have you ever seen your stuff again? I'm really wishing I had picked up tenant insurance. I don't suppose there's any way for me to be compensated for any of this is there?
Heat: 159-0-0
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2002
1726 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Invincible wrote:Is there any way we might see our stuff back again? Those that have been through this, have you ever seen your stuff again?
In my opinion, fat chance. I got robbed twice. One at my old apartment building. Took a bunch of games, money and such. Police made a report, never heard back. 2nd time was when we got a house, someone robbed the tools in our garage. Again police was no help. Really they can't do anything. They won't bother to go around to track down like around $500 of stuff that can be sold easily on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] or pawn shops.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5624 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
if you're in a rural area, i'd guess the population is low. Snoop around, you can probably find someone who knows someone who's ironically selling a bunch of stuff similar to what you lost ;) aswell, pawnshops, buy and sell, etc.
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
10 upvotes
Think of it as a lesson: always have insurance.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
lowlifes, when my gf's family left the country for vacation, some tard kicked in their front door and stole a mini component stereo worth like $200 at best and an old 13" TV.The damage to the front door was over 2k and no valuable in the house was stolen. Must have been desparate for a replacement TV for their first gen nentindo.

A few weeks before christmas last year, someone tried to kick in our front door but was he in for a surprised. After what happened to my gf we changed our front door to one reinforced with ~1cm solid steel insert with 6 hidden bolts. I heard a loud bang I went outside thinking there was a car accident or something, but saw 2 guys running away, one limping heavily and a dirty foot mark on my door. They were caught on survalence but the image was not clear enough, but I still gave it to the cops for fun. Doors are a good investment. :)
Dec 23, 2001
926 posts
125 upvotes
Wow, some pretty crazy stories!

Well this place only had a pine frame. No limping legs there lol. Landlords are supposed to get it replaced with a more solid maple frame. I don't think they'll got the metal route, but that isn't a bad idea for sure.

Well, we're on the ourskirts of a town of 56000, so not quite an everybody-know-everybody kinda environment, but sure wouldn't hurt to ask.

And yes, lesson 2: Cops really aren't that helpful even in time of need. I guess that's what they figure insurance companies are for.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
pandaharo wrote:Doors are a good investment. :)
Except that there is always a window/patio door that can be smashed.
Dec 22, 2005
751 posts
5 upvotes
Dundas
I really feel sorry for you. I just had my house broken into (This thread ). Fortunately, we had insurance.

I am also still a little worried that they will come back and steal the stuff they left the first time. Although, I was told by the police and insurance adjuster that is very rare.

Also, did you buy any of the missing items on your CC within 90 days b/c your CC might have Loss/Damage coverage which will help get some of you money back.
Dec 23, 2001
926 posts
125 upvotes
Krox wrote: Also, did you buy any of the missing items on your CC within 90 days b/c your CC might have Loss/Damage coverage which will help get some of you money back.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. There was only one thing they stole that was recently purchased - it was a christmas gift. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry to hear of your break in as well. Poeple need to get a life.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4899 posts
100 upvotes
Local
Whoa man! awwwwwwwww
You know what? You should find out who these dudes are with fingerprints and murder them...
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
Well,

I would get house or stuff insurance.

you can order it over the phone.

I bought with PC insurance....the ones that have the flyers at lowblows!

For a condo I'm paying under 20 dollars a month in a high crime area!

so to insure just your items, it might be pretty cheap.
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Jun 9, 2002
180 posts
corrupt123 wrote:if you're in a rural area, i'd guess the population is low. Snoop around, you can probably find someone who knows someone who's ironically selling a bunch of stuff similar to what you lost ;) aswell, pawnshops, buy and sell, etc.
that sucks. Does the landlords insurance not cover your items?

SERIOUSLY, go to the LOCAL HICK BAR and see if anyone has been trying to sell your items...