Tags:
None
Feb 16, 2004
769 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

Camera Repair SD800IS

Hey guys,

I accidentally got water into the camera while it was off I believe but when I went to check on it a few minutes later, the camera was really hot so I took the battery out and took a sniff and it smelled like something shorted. Any chance of getting it fixed or covered by warranty?

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Ziploc bag + a few silica gel packs

Put the camera in the bag with the gel packs. Seal it up tight. The gel will absorb moisture from the camera. Leave it for a week or two before turning it on.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5408 posts
6418 upvotes
I have my Canon S1 IS left in the cold (-30C) in my car for a couple hours, and when I turn it back on in a warm place, apparently the condensation kills the camera. I took the camera to Canon's warranty repair and got it back in a week. Email canon first and tell them the camera suddenly didn't work (don't tell them you got water in). They'll tell you the closest repair center you can take it to.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Dec 1, 2003
510 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
Curious how good these guys are? I may need to take in some Canon L lenses for calibration. What kind of impression did you get from them?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
i've been there before

shady looking plaza and "shop" with a regular chinese guy working inside

but he did get the job done
ShadowVlican
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6724 posts
69 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote: i've been there before

shady looking plaza and "shop" with a regular chinese guy working inside

but he did get the job done
+1

Had to get my camera fixed and they got the job done well. It has been working perfectly since. I would go back to them again.
Innovatively Silent. :cool:
Dec 1, 2003
510 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
What kind service(s) did you take it in for? slr repairs/calibrations? point and shoot service?