• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2020 3:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
797 posts
254 upvotes

Camera rough ins

Hello, we have to specify camera rough ins for our new home. See attached image. I would like to get four, two in the backyard corners, two in the front: one at each corner cover the driveway and front of the house.

For the fourth camera in the front, there are two options- either on the porch or in the corner. I will have a doorbell camera already. The wiring company is recommending to place the fourth camera on the porch but I feel with the doorbell camera it will be unnecessary.

Feedback required- should the fourth camera be on the porch or front corner of the home? I have shown the two options in green in the attached image.
38EB076F-79E8-4596-814B-6D8A760D1817.jpeg
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2169 posts
818 upvotes
Edmonton
Things you have to consider:

Field of view of the camera - how wide the lens is. What will you be able to see, how distorted will your image be?
Will you have any blind spots?

These are interrelated - the wider the lens, the greater field of view, the more distortion of the image........

Your doorbell camera will be pretty useless to cover the adjacent corner, if the lens is the usual wide, found on most.

I’d just make sure the house cameras are as obvious as possible, add a bunch of motion sensitive lights and about 4 large warning signs.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Mar 17, 2004
437 posts
16 upvotes
I had the same dilemma and did not like the camera placement when I 1st moved in but I've come to realize why it was done this way. The cameras with a wide field of view don't have good resolution to see the fine details of someones face etc. The cameras with a much more limited field of view have a much greater detail and cover the points of entry. So you will actually have a usable image of the person breaking in not just a blurry image. The original placement was done with that in mind.

I originally had 6 working cameras and a 8 port NVR. I've since added 2 additional cameras to cover blind spots, but these additional cameras are more of the wide angle variety to support the cameras with a limit field of view and eliminate blind spots. Also, the additional cameras were installed so that I could keep an eye on the kids, so I didnt need the added detail.

IT was cheap @ the time so I roughed in extra Cat6 so I all I need to do is locate that particular cable to install a new or relocate a camera later. My advice is to cup your hand around one eye and stand @ every possibly camera mounting location and look around and figure out what exactly you can actually see and decide what you want to see. Make sure you stand at the actual mounting height as overhangs, trees, etc could obstruct the cameras view. You need to limit your viewing angle as the camera only sees a portion of the angle your eye sees. If you have any doubts, have a extra line(s) roughed in so that you can make adjustments later if your not happy. And make sure you have an NVR that you can add to.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34427 posts
20460 upvotes
Center of Universe
On top of the rough-in, I recommend you have a conduit installed from the attic to the basement, so you are future proof for running wires at a later time.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
797 posts
254 upvotes
Appreciate the feedback.

@vkizzle we already got the attic to basement conduit put in

@dealhunting thanks for the detailed reply. We don’t take possession of the home until November so not possible to have the camera angles and field view determined just yet. It’s also a new development so trees are non existent but so is the Neighbour’s home structure (still under development). I think what I might do is just fork over an extra $150 for a fifth camera rough in at the corner and keep the one at point of entry as recommended by the wiring company (even if it’s viewing the same front porch as the doorbell camera). With a finished basement, I imagine it’ll be a lot tougher to get a camera put at the front corner in the future without a rough in.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34427 posts
20460 upvotes
Center of Universe
callmebob wrote: Appreciate the feedback.

@vkizzle we already got the attic to basement conduit put in

@dealhunting thanks for the detailed reply. We don’t take possession of the home until November so not possible to have the camera angles and field view determined just yet. It’s also a new development so trees are non existent but so is the Neighbour’s home structure (still under development). I think what I might do is just fork over an extra $150 for a fifth camera rough in at the corner and keep the one at point of entry as recommended by the wiring company (even if it’s viewing the same front porch as the doorbell camera). With a finished basement, I imagine it’ll be a lot tougher to get a camera put at the front corner in the future without a rough in.
$150 is a drop in the bucket.
Anything that can be added now, I personally recommend to do so, unless you're on a tight budget.
Jan 10, 2017
296 posts
220 upvotes
Once you take possession, you can always do a make shift stand with a 5 gal bucket and some wood and cement to mount a camera on top to find Th e ideal installation height, lens and angles before doing a final install.
Mar 17, 2004
437 posts
16 upvotes
Just make sure you have room to add additional cameras to your NVR
Mar 9, 2019
98 posts
54 upvotes
When I did my install I installed every camera where the first one finished so I get a perfect view of the whole property
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
797 posts
254 upvotes
Follow up question- is hard wired external CAT5 cabling for camera rough ins essentially useless if I decide to go with a wireless camera solution such as Nest, Ring or Eufy outdoor cams? I’ll have to figure out electrical power for these solutions as I don’t want to be changing batteries.

I’m wondering if these solutions are generally good enough with a cloud or local recording solution over hard wired external cams and an NVR?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3843 posts
3936 upvotes
GTA
Why not both? Both angles are useful.