• Feb 9th, 2018 5:27 pm
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
197 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto

Camera sensor clean need suggestions

Hi,
I just got a Nikon camera, and would need to do a sensor clean. So far I know that both Downtown camera and Vistek offer sensor clean service, and seems like downtown camera is cost less. But I do not know the quality of service between Downtown camera and Vistek. And I would really like to get some suggestions. Thank you very much
5 replies
Feb 12, 2017
54 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary
In my opinion, cleaning a sensor is not a big deal. If the sensor does not have sand on it (e.g., from changing lens in a windy, dusty place), cleaning is very straightforward. You just blow off any particles before using a wet swab. Squeeze bulbs and kits with sensor swabs and cleaning solution are sold at most camera stores.

On the other hand, if the camera has been used by someone else and the sensor has visible particles that do not blow off with a squeeze bulb, a professional cleaning is a good idea. You could ask the stores what guarantee they offer against scratching the sensor.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4338 posts
1366 upvotes
Vancouver
I can't comment on the services offered locally to you but if you are interested in acquiring your own tools to do the cleaning, there have been numerous threads in this forum over the years.

The last inquiry was in December 2017 in which I posted a list of many other useful threads on this topic. Some of them comment on local services.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/dslr-sen ... #p28615908

Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1400 posts
362 upvotes
Bedford
I just use the Invisible Dust kits from Henrys. $40. I learned from youtube. No issues.
Jul 8, 2006
621 posts
25 upvotes
Burlington
I've found that a blower and lenspen sensor klear will remove almost anything.

I've had bad experiences with wet cleaning, wet cleaning can easily scratch the sensor if there are hard particles or damage coatings on the sensor. If something is stuck on so badly it needs a wet cleaning I would get it done professionally. But to date, I have not come across anything that a blower and lenspen sensor klear will not remove. I have never damaged a sensor using lenspen sensor klear and a blower.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4338 posts
1366 upvotes
Vancouver
particleman wrote: I've found that a blower and lenspen sensor klear will remove almost anything.

I've had bad experiences with wet cleaning, wet cleaning can easily scratch the sensor if there are hard particles or damage coatings on the sensor. If something is stuck on so badly it needs a wet cleaning I would get it done professionally. But to date, I have not come across anything that a blower and lenspen sensor klear will not remove. I have never damaged a sensor using lenspen sensor klear and a blower.
I have a Lenspen SensorKlear as well. I use it before I wet clean. I don't understand why you would not be worried about hard particles with that particular tool. I think, being dry, you have far worse potential to scratch the sensor than with a wet clean swab.

Regardless, my most useful tool has been the optical loupe I use to inspect the sensor while cleaning. So much more convenient than the white screen image, edit, inspect method described in one of the web pages I linked to.

My usual methodology:

Electrostatic brush

if not clean then:
Lenspen SensorKlear
Electrostatic Brush

if still not clean then:
Wet Swab

Most dust gets picked up by the brush.