None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3237 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto

Camera for Travel ~$400?

Are there any good cameras for travel in 300-350 range? Preferably something that can be purchased locally.
Any comments on Canon Powershot SX710 hs?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2035 posts
372 upvotes
Vancouver
I would like to throw in a Sony A5000. They have been down to $350 +-.

all the best.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
2035 posts
372 upvotes
Vancouver
I came across this link which has some competitors to the Canon SX710 hs, which might be of help to you.

good luck.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1806 posts
485 upvotes
I have the Sony HX-50V and really like it. What I like the most is the 30x optical zoom which is nice when traveling. Panasonic makes a similar model (ZS50?) but it is usually a bit more money. These are pocket sized which make them great for travel.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3237 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys, time to start looking at more reviews
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7663 posts
4365 upvotes
Debtario
Perhaps consider older mirrorless cameras. I haven't kept up with the newest tech, but last time I checked there were plenty of excellent cams like the the canon G series, Panasonic GF series and Sony NEX series that I assume would be much cheaper if you managed to find ones a generation or two older than the current production.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Feb 15, 2008
584 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
+1 to Mirrorless
Sony A5000
Canon EOS-M
Panasonic GF
Olympus PL
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3237 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies guys. So far I found:
Sony HX60VB - $380
Olympus PEN E-PL5 - $400
Panasonic DMC-ZS40 - $400 (was recommended from dpreview.com)
Canon G16 - ~435
Sony a5000 - $430 white, $439 black($444 with 64gb sdcard)

I will be leaving in 2 weeks so can't wait until these go on sale. I guess I should rise my original budget a bit.
Would Sony RX100 at $450 be much better than those listed above?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1402 posts
363 upvotes
Ottawa, On
osuman wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. So far I found:
Sony HX60VB - $380
Olympus PEN E-PL5 - $400
Panasonic DMC-ZS40 - $400 (was recommended from dpreview.com)
Canon G16 - ~435
Sony a5000 - $430 white, $439 black($444 with 64gb sdcard)

I will be leaving in 2 weeks so can't wait until these go on sale. I guess I should rise my original budget a bit.
Would Sony RX100 at $450 be much better than those listed above?
OK so of those:

If you think you might want to get more into photography (i.e. buy more lenses, learn about aperture and shutter speed, etc): a5000
If you want compact with decent low light performance, but only moderate zoom: RX100
A bit bigger, not as good in low light, but bigger zoom: Panasonic ZS40

I'd say those are your best 3 of the one's you've listed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3237 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto
da_guy2 wrote: OK so of those:

If you think you might want to get more into photography (i.e. buy more lenses, learn about aperture and shutter speed, etc): a5000
If you want compact with decent low light performance, but only moderate zoom: RX100
A bit bigger, not as good in low light, but bigger zoom: Panasonic ZS40

I'd say those are your best 3 of the one's you've listed.
Great, thanks! I suppose I'll be choosing b/w rx100 and zs40 then :D
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5096 posts
3335 upvotes
BoombasticSloth wrote: I would like to throw in a Sony A5000. They have been down to $350 +-.

all the best.
+1

Trickier to find now but one of the best value cameras. Recommended it to my sister and coworker, both love it for ease of use and image quality. As you are travelling, be sure to buy a spare battery!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18076 posts
10888 upvotes
Ottawa
RX100 is the best camera to get if you can't be bothered carrying around a camera bag or backpack.

The A5000 would the best to get if you do want to carry around a camera bag or backpack.

The RX100 is the best general purpose camera for most folk who want better pictures than a smartphone. I have two better cameras than my RX100 but they always stay at home since even a small camera bag is a hassle when you're with kids and have plenty of other non camera gear to lug around. For most intents and purposes, the RX100 should give you enough picture quality that would be indistinguishable from a larger camera in everything but dark lighting conditions. Keep in mind that the included kit lens on the A5000 isn't that great and you need to upgrade the lens to really see what the A5000 is capable of...a nonzoomable fast prime lens would show off the A5000's larger sensor to its.potential
Banned
May 25, 2015
45 posts
6 upvotes
Prime Location
Thanks for the recommendations in here thus far. My budget is in this price range, and am going to be testing out the cameras mention. Cheers
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15497 posts
10164 upvotes
Southern Ontario
What do you guys think about the Olympus TG4, waterproof and now does RAW? For travellers who go in water?

On land for portability, I would def use a RX100 with it's bigger sensor and all around better IQ.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18076 posts
10888 upvotes
Ottawa
A waterproof camera is great to have as a secondary camera. When you are on the beach, doing outdoor activities where you expect to be roughing it and getting dirty, and snorkelling.

I used a pretty basic Panasonic TS dunkable camera and got some pretty cool shots of stingrays and sea turtles. In my experience, you don’t need anything fancy, just something to capture moments underwater or around the sand.

If I were doing it again, I think I would also bring an action camera, Gopro and the like. I find that watching the action videos after the vacation is more likely than looking at still photos. That brings back more memories of the fun I had during the vacation.

On my next resort/cruise type vacation, for sure RX100 (leaving the DSLR behind), Sony action cam with a head mount, and maybe my Panasonic waterproof camera (paid about $150 for it years ago)
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16813 posts
5401 upvotes
Toronto
I would also suggest the Panasonic ZS50: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... TZ70_ZS50/. They seem to lead the travel zoom segment. It would be good idea to purchase and familiarize yourself with the camera before the trip. Nothing worse then trying to fiddle with settings on vacation and possibly missing the photo opportunity. I would also suggest going to www.photoprice.ca to find the lowest price and then get it from Blacks Camera. They offer a 45 day price match so if the price drops, you can get the money for it.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1402 posts
363 upvotes
Ottawa, On
AncasterRFD wrote: What do you guys think about the Olympus TG4, waterproof and now does RAW? For travellers who go in water?

On land for portability, I would def use a RX100 with it's bigger sensor and all around better IQ.
Panasonic makes the best waterproof camera. I've heard some of the Nikon's are good to.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1402 posts
363 upvotes
Ottawa, On
warpdrive wrote: On my next resort/cruise type vacation, for sure RX100 (leaving the DSLR behind), Sony action cam with a head mount, and maybe my Panasonic waterproof camera (paid about $150 for it years ago)
If your going to make action can movies make sure you turn it into a hyperlapse. Much easier then watching big long videos plus it's just really cool.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... lapseapps/
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15497 posts
10164 upvotes
Southern Ontario
da_guy2 wrote: Panasonic makes the best waterproof camera. I've heard some of the Nikon's are good to.
I have a Pan TS4, but it's going to die soon. The LCD and lens fogged the last time I put it in the ocean. I got a few years out of it and I'm too cheap to replace the seals, giving it to my kid as a shock camera.

I'm thinking of the new Oly bc it does RAW, and maybe a SJ5000, I'm not a regular action vid user to justify a GoPro purchase. My kid would be playing with the SJ too, maybe more than me.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20630 posts
4358 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: What do you guys think about the Olympus TG4, waterproof and now does RAW? For travellers who go in water?

I have the TG3 and it's been perfect for me so far. The only gripe I have is how easily the screen scratches, so I'd put a screen protector on yours ASAP.

It's waterproof, it has a clock and compass built in (more useful than you think when in the water all day), it has GPS tagging (which eats a fair bit of battery though), you can transfer your photos wirelessly to a tablet to keep your card space clear, and it's tough enough and easy enough to use to the point that you can hand it off to a little kid and tell them to have fun without worrying.
da_guy2 wrote: Panasonic makes the best waterproof camera.
Not according to this: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-w ... of-camera/