• Aug 29th, 2021 1:49 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 7, 2019
647 posts
830 upvotes
Oilers Country

Campbell's Soup

I bought some Campbell's Chunky soup yesterday as Safeway/Sobeys has a great bonus AM deal.

I am very disappointed in the product labelling however. For years Campbell's had a plant in Toronto: I would always look for the "CANADA" circle on the bottom right of the can label to ensure I was getting Canadian-made product. Now the soups are all made in the States, which is bad enough, but Campbell's has recently added a "CANADA" red circle to the package label.

This is very misleading: it's still the same American soup, Campbell's is simply claiming the product is "designed in Canada", whatever that means. It's clearly an attempt to fool Canadian consumers who pick up the product and don't squint at the label (the "designed in" is very small print). It's also a rather silly claim: I've checked out the Chunky soup in U.S. supermarkets in pre-COVID times and the soups are pretty much the same.

It's really disheartening that a company which cut Canadian jobs and production is trying to fool consumers who might prefer to buy Canadian.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I agree that is deceptive …
And it gets worse

Did a bit of digging around the Campbells Canada website and the WORD-SMITHING to deceive the Cdn consumer is quite something

OUR STORY = https://www.campbellsoup.ca/about-us/our-story/

CAMPBELL COMPANY OF CANADA = https://www.campbellsoup.ca/about-us/

They indeed still exist in the GTA … but only as a Distribution Centre and Cdn Marketing HQ

No production any more in Canada
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19624 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
TravellingChris wrote: It's really disheartening that a company which cut Canadian jobs and production is trying to fool consumers who might prefer to buy Canadian.
Adding strength to OP's point,
From a few years ago: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.4502101
Last edited by playnicee1 on Aug 22nd, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Sep 26, 2011
362 posts
467 upvotes
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this abomination.

'Disheartening' is putting it too lightly. It's disgusting!

For most of the Campbell's condensed soup products, there was an immediately noticeable drop in quality when production shifted to the USA. I quit buying most of it, and switched to Canadian private label brands -- ironically better quality and price. Campbell's other brand, Habitant, has also been mostly ruined. The chicken soup with egg noodles produced in the USA is nothing like what it was when it was made in Canada. Angry Face

Clearly the marketing department lacks creativity. When Canadian production ceased, they started printing "PRODUCT OF USA" in faint grey printing on each can's front label below the name. Shortly thereafter, they dropped that, hiding the words "PRODUCT OF USA" in the fine-print below the ingredients/nutrition info.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13028 posts
8270 upvotes
Markham
The reason why people buy canned soup is because no time to cook or for big party?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smartie wrote: The reason why people buy canned soup is because no time to cook or for big party?
Convenience

We make a lot of our soups too … usually from a baseline of leftover roasts (Turkey, Chicken, Beef, Pork ) or Veggies … and stock our freezer with them. But the convenience of having them in the freezer, mean they are good & popular … and never last long … just heat & serve

Same with canned … just heat & serve

I will admit between batches of home made soup … we stock some canned varieties

They make for a quick lunch … with or without a sandwich or side salad … esp on a cold day (Fall thru Spring). Can’t say we each much soup in the Summer.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
iamskyhigh wrote: WHO CARES
I think lots of folks care … about what is MADE IN CANADA

And which companies have chosen to leave … esp long standing Companies

I know lots of folks in Eastern Ontario that are still ticked / boycotting Hershey … after they left Smiths Falls (1963 - 2008)

And Canadawide … lots of folks told Heinz to take a hike after they left Leamington (1909 - 2009) … so much so … that French’s Ketchup is now the top selling ketchup in our country.

We don’t buy a lot of canned soup … but since Campbells left the GTA, I gotta say it has also affected our buying habits … been trying a lot more Canadian Companies to see if we can find a new favourite

Campbells Canada made soup in the GTA from 1930 - 2018
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13028 posts
8270 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: Convenience

We make a lot of our soups too … usually from a baseline of leftover roasts (Turkey, Chicken, Beef, Pork ) or Veggies … and stock our freezer with them. But the convenience of having them in the freezer, mean they are good & popular … and never last long … just heat & serve

Same with canned … just heat & serve

I will admit between batches of home made soup … we stock some canned varieties

They make for a quick lunch … with or without a sandwich or side salad … esp on a cold day (Fall thru Spring). Can’t say we each much soup in the Summer.
Thanks

So in your opinion, does Campbell soup taste reasonable good or you actually buy some other brands? For example President choice ( if they have) or even kirkland
[OP]
Jul 7, 2019
647 posts
830 upvotes
Oilers Country
smartie wrote: Thanks

So in your opinion, does Campbell soup taste reasonable good or you actually buy some other brands? For example President choice ( if they have) or even kirkland
The frustrating aspect of all this is that the Chunky soups have great varieties that you can't find in any other brand. The Chicken A La King one has long been a family favourite. Just heat it up and serve on toast.
Feb 23, 2021
31 posts
51 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
And Canadawide … lots of folks told Heinz to take a hike after they left Leamington (1909 - 2009) … so much so … that French’s Ketchup is now the top selling ketchup in our country
Are you sure about that? As far as I can see Heinz out-ketchups French's by a massive factor of 10:1 still. It's not even close unless I'm reading that wrong.

Source: National Post news story...
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2655 posts
1784 upvotes
London
PointsHubby wrote: And Canadawide … lots of folks told Heinz to take a hike after they left Leamington (1909 - 2009) … so much so … that French’s Ketchup is now the top selling ketchup in our country.

We don’t buy a lot of canned soup … but since Campbells left the GTA, I gotta say it has also affected our buying habits … been trying a lot more Canadian Companies to see if we can find a new favourite

Campbells Canada made soup in the GTA from 1930 - 2018
I know nothing about the GTA plant.
Listowel had one.
I miss the outlet store.
They had some interesting flavours, that mostly went to chains/restaurants, and were frozen.

I never was fussy about my ketchup brand. (demanding Heinz, etc)
I can say that since Heinz left, I haven't purchased any Heinz and mostly buy French's now.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19624 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
Once you've tasted Heinz...there are no other Kinds. lol

Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15026 posts
7833 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: The reason why people buy canned soup ... for big party?
I need some ideas for big party
Soup in a self serve punch bowl, ladle and cups?

Having some difficulty remembering other brands of condensed soup 50 cents a can on sale... Aylmers and evil Heinz
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19624 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: Having some difficulty remembering other brands of condensed soup 50 cents a can on sale... Aylmers and evil Heinz
PC Blue makes good soup with less sodium. I wonder if Campbell's makes it for them? lol
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15026 posts
7833 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: PC Blue makes good soup with less sodium.
Fifty cents a can?
Campbell's condensed soup 2 cans for 88 cents this week at No Frills Ontario
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19624 posts
6561 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: Fifty cents a can?
Campbell's condensed soup 2 cans for 88 cents this week at No Frills Ontario
50 cents a can for PC blue comes and goes. A hit and miss deal. Last time they did 50 cents you had to be a PC Optimum member though.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
jenviea wrote: I need some ideas for big party
Soup in a self serve punch bowl, ladle and cups?

Having some difficulty remembering other brands of condensed soup 50 cents a can on sale... Aylmers and evil Heinz
Soup is so simple to make, though, & you do not need a recipe.

Toss some 2 parts peeled carrots or kombucha squash, 1 part celery & 1 part onions in oil, season with salt & pepper, & roast at 400 F for about 40 minutes. Puree or mash, add 3 parts chicken stock & 1 part heavy cream & add a bit of rice. Cook on the stovetop for 1/2 hour until the rice is done. Add a shot of tomato paste & season to taste. Curry powder or Thai yellow curry paste is an optional nice touch, you can go as light or as strong as you like.

For tomato soup you just need tomatoes, chicken broth, & a splash of heavy cream. Boost the flavour with tomato paste if you like & season with salt, pepper & garum masala.

Chicken noodle soup is just poached chicken thighs skin on, in chicken stock. Fish them out & remove skin & bones, You need the fat from the skin for flavour. Dice 2 part carrots or carrots/rutabaga, 1 part celery, 1 par onions & add to the broth, cook 20 minutes until soft. Add egg noodles & cook according to package directions & add back in the shredded thigh meat. Frozen green peas are an optional addition at the end. Season & add chopped fresh parsley.

French onion soup is onions sautéed until they are caramelized in butter. Add to beef stock with a couple of tablespoons to sherry & hint of tomato paste & salt & pepper. Top with salad croutons & shredded Swiss cheese which will melt from the heat of the soup.

It is a really forgiving thing to make.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lecale wrote: Soup is so simple to make, though, & you do not need a recipe.

Toss some 2 parts peeled carrots or kombucha squash, 1 part celery & 1 part onions in oil, season with salt & pepper, & roast at 400 F for about 40 minutes. Puree or mash, add 3 parts chicken stock & 1 part heavy cream & add a bit of rice. Cook on the stovetop for 1/2 hour until the rice is done. Add a shot of tomato paste & season to taste. Curry powder or Thai yellow curry paste is an optional nice touch, you can go as light or as strong as you like.

For tomato soup you just need tomatoes, chicken broth, & a splash of heavy cream. Boost the flavour with tomato paste if you like & season with salt, pepper & garum masala.

Chicken noodle soup is just poached chicken thighs skin on, in chicken stock. Fish them out & remove skin & bones, You need the fat from the skin for flavour. Dice 2 part carrots or carrots/rutabaga, 1 part celery, 1 par onions & add to the broth, cook 20 minutes until soft. Add egg noodles & cook according to package directions & add back in the shredded thigh meat. Frozen green peas are an optional addition at the end. Season & add chopped fresh parsley.

French onion soup is onions sautéed until they are caramelized in butter. Add to beef stock with a couple of tablespoons to sherry & hint of tomato paste & salt & pepper. Top with salad croutons & shredded Swiss cheese which will melt from the heat of the soup.

It is a really forgiving thing to make.
Good post

Gave me some new ideas to experiment with …
AND ADDED BONUS
Made me hungry

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)