• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2020 4:56 pm
[OP]
Nov 14, 2014
597 posts
911 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Camping firepit

Hey, I have camped before but never tried campfires. I am going to do it next time I go to Algonquin and have some questions.
1. What is the best way to put out fire? Just throw water?
2. Should I clean the left over coal? If yes, what is the procedure? Throw in garbage or just scatter around campsite?
Last edited by whyami on Jul 4th, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4809 posts
2930 upvotes
Milton, ON.
whyami wrote: Hey, I have camped before but never tried campfires. I am going to do it next time I go to Algonquin and have some questions.
1. What is the best way to put out fire? Just throw water?
2. Should I clean the left over coal? If yes, what is the procedure? Through in garbage or just scatter around campsite?
#1. You can let it burn and die, water or sand. Never ever leave your fire unattended. Ever.
#2. Leave it. Dont burn any garbage in your campfire, especially plastic.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26712 posts
5838 upvotes
Despite putting water and/or sand on the fire, there will likely be some hot coals left over. Do not try to move them. Just leave them in the firepit. Placing them anywhere else could start an uncontrolled fire.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11086 posts
4335 upvotes
Chances are the campsite will already have a firepit marked out. Follow the above advice and you'll be fine. It's not that difficult. We always let it burn out but that's after it has died down to just hot coals.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2136 posts
542 upvotes
Alberta
The phrasing our here is "Soak, stir, soak".

Like other have said, you need to get the hot embers too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)