Camping in Killarney Provincial Park

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2020 6:47 pm
Jun 22, 2014
559 posts
235 upvotes
Markham, ON

Camping in Killarney Provincial Park

So, I've got a camping trip booked later in the summer. We plan on going just to get away from the city since our other vacation plans have all been cancelled.

I was back on the park website to make sure everything was still a go, and noticed that they mention that Showers are closed. So, am I looking at 3 days without a shower? Are there any alternatives in the area? I still want the camping experience, so don't really want to book a hotel or anything, but a shower would be preferred...

Any ideas would be appreciated!
12 replies
Jun 22, 2014
559 posts
235 upvotes
Markham, ON
As fun as that would be, I don't think the lake would appreciate me contaminating the shore with soap suds. Don't think other campers / park employees would appreciate it either come to think of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
For three days with the ability to rinse off in a lake you don't need soap or suds you'll be fine. Pack in some baby wipes if you're really really concerned.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7090 upvotes
Mississauga
I’ve seen biodegradable/lake friendly soap for sale before. Not sure how good it is.

But seriously, it’s only three days and it’s camping not a Disney resort. I’d personally ride it out and shower when I got home.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Although a nice hot shower ... WHEN YOU CAN GET ONE
Is a nice luxury when camping
It’s not a deal breaker
As long as you have the lake
You’ll be relatively clean
And most importantly ... not sweaty / smelly
Could definitely survive for a few days

That said, if you still feel that’s not enough
Then buy yourself a camping shower
And hang it in a tree on your site
https://www.walmart.com/browse/sports-o ... 58_1382952
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
If you camp out in the backcountry , there are no showers, toilets or electricity, it's just the lake. Many people including myself do multi-day trips in the backcountry all the time. If you want a real camping experience and the shower facilities are closed, it's the lake (wear a swimsuit and do not use soap or shampoo - essentially you're taking a dip or swim in the lake) otherwise stay in the city or rent a cottage somewhere else.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
Biskuits wrote: As fun as that would be, I don't think the lake would appreciate me contaminating the shore with soap suds. Don't think other campers / park employees would appreciate it either come to think of it.
Use biodegradable camp soap.

Some would say that it is only biodegradable in soil, and should be used a certain distance from a body of water.
I've swam, to get wet.
Then filled a bucket, walked a ways away, soaped up, and poured to rinse.

I feel Georgian Bay is a such a large volume of water that directly would be no issue, but you would have to deal with perceptions of others that don't realize you are not using normal soap.

https://www.coghlans.com/products/4-oz-camp-soap-9617
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
Wipes.

I use to do nothing for short camping trip, but wipes are great luxury, especially on the face.
Done a couple 7 day stints with no showers.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
429 upvotes
Meh 3 days no shower? Easy peasy ... also only need one set of clothes.. just turn underware inside out on third day!
All joking aside I do a lot of trips and always find I bring way too much clothes... if you stay dry you really don’t need a lot. Anywho enjoy your trip!
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
429 upvotes
Meh 3 days no shower? Easy peasy ... also only need one set of clothes.. just turn underware inside out on third day!
All joking aside I do a lot of trips and always find I bring way too much clothes... if you stay dry you really don’t need a lot. Anywho enjoy your trip!
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2459 posts
682 upvotes
Ontario
Most Ontario parks the showers are dirty and disgusting unless you go right after they clean them. Not the parks fault but the campers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)