Automotive

Can Am Spyder Owners ? (Feedback needed)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2019 7:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1571 posts
536 upvotes
Calgary

Can Am Spyder Owners ? (Feedback needed)

Any spyder owners here? looking for advice as i am getting one this weekend (used one, not new). How do you like? how different is it than riding a regular two wheeler? any issues that you had?

please move this thread if it isnt in the right place. thanks
23 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1147 upvotes
masarwar wrote: Any spyder owners here? looking for advice as i am getting one this weekend (used one, not new). How do you like? how different is it than riding a regular two wheeler? any issues that you had?

I always thought they were for old people that aren't able to ride conventional motorcycles.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42577 posts
5951 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
masarwar wrote: Any spyder owners here? looking for advice as i am getting one this weekend (used one, not new). How do you like? how different is it than riding a regular two wheeler? any issues that you had?

fusion2k2k wrote: I always thought they were for old people that aren't able to ride conventional motorcycles.
exactly... get a 2 wheeler.
Your peen will thank you. IT will automatically grow 6 inches!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1571 posts
536 upvotes
Calgary
fusion2k2k wrote: I always thought they were for old people that aren't able to ride conventional motorcycles.
Doesnt have to be. After an accident on a bike and the repeat injury to the same shoulder from a stair slip I still don't have full function even after 4 month physio and sold my motorcycle. The spyder is the next best thing to get your confidence and sense of riding back without worrying about balancing. Also they are incredibly comfortable and all reviews I have seen online are raving about them.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1915 posts
527 upvotes
Scarborough
FWIW - Have never rode on a motorcycle before but I got to test drive the Can Am Ryker recently and it was loads of fun to drive.

Unless i'm mistaken it's the cheaper version of the Spyder. Very fast and fun to drive...though probably not as fast as a motorcycle.

Also very easy to operate...i imagine a 10 year old who's driven a tonka truck could probably operate the thing.
Feb 28, 2015
564 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Don't be that guy, buy a slingshot and have some real fun!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1571 posts
536 upvotes
Calgary
jono454 wrote: FWIW - Have never rode on a motorcycle before but I got to test drive the Can Am Ryker recently and it was loads of fun to drive.

Unless i'm mistaken it's the cheaper version of the Spyder. Very fast and fun to drive...though probably not as fast as a motorcycle.

Also very easy to operate...i imagine a 10 year old who's driven a tonka truck could probably operate the thing.
how did you find handling and balance on it?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1571 posts
536 upvotes
Calgary
skoalman123 wrote: Don't be that guy, buy a slingshot and have some real fun!
Unfortunately thats still out of my price range. But already have a miata to make up for the slingshot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1571 posts
536 upvotes
Calgary
smacd wrote: I got to ride a Yamaha Niken last week as part of Yamaha Power Tours. https://yamaha-motor.ca/products/detail ... model=5220 Not my cup of tea and you still need to balance it, but part of their market is people who've had a scare and want a very stable front end.
Very interesting bike but unfortunately doesnt have the same type of stability. and wow @ price point. almost 23k?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1915 posts
527 upvotes
Scarborough
masarwar wrote: how did you find handling and balance on it?
I might be oversimplifying things but it's kind of like riding a tricycle.

After making 2-3 turns it became like second nature and there's no need to lean in-and-out when you make a turn...you just turn the handle.

The only thing that took me a bit longer to get use-to was the accelerator which is turning the handle up and down. Small movements made quite a bit difference in speed but once i got use to it (~10 min), it was smooth sailing.

I would assume the Spyder handles similar in nature, if not, better than the Ryker since it's almost double the cost if i recall.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1571 posts
536 upvotes
Calgary
jono454 wrote: I might be oversimplifying things but it's kind of like riding a tricycle.

After making 2-3 turns it became like second nature and there's no need to lean in-and-out when you make a turn...you just turn the handle.

The only thing that took me a bit longer to get use-to was the accelerator which is turning the handle up and down. Small movements made quite a bit difference in speed but once i got use to it (~10 min), it was smooth sailing.

I would assume the Spyder handles similar in nature, if not, better than the Ryker since it's almost double the cost if i recall.
thank you this is what i was looking for!! i have ridden my motorcycle for a year and my biggest fear was breaking the habit of leaning instead of turning. Spyder is just a bit bigger and more power full. the similar spec'd ryker in engine size and seats etc is almost the same as spyder. Ryker is more of an affordable entry into the segment.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1496 posts
1307 upvotes
Toronto
masarwar wrote: Unfortunately thats still out of my price range. But already have a miata to make up for the slingshot.
Get a used one - I bought mine last year out of Quebec for $17000 with only 4000 KM on it.

No regrets at all
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
14329 posts
11470 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xjesterxx wrote: Get a used one - I bought mine last year out of Quebec for $17000 with only 4000 KM on it.

No regrets at all
See so many trikes in Quebec. I swear it's the trike capital of Canada.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1571 posts
536 upvotes
Calgary
xjesterxx wrote: Get a used one - I bought mine last year out of Quebec for $17000 with only 4000 KM on it.

No regrets at all
Thanks. Getting a used one as well. 2009 Can Am Spyder RS with 20,000 km and full maintenance (New belt, new tires and fluid changes) plus extras such as luggage cover, cover for spyder for 7k. Getting the manual as well. I loved the manual kick on my bike.