• Jul 22nd, 2019 3:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2428 posts
959 upvotes
Quebec

Can amazon ban my account for “abusing” cart plus item

So I bought something that was less then 25$ and added a preorder video game so that the item less then 25$ can ship

As soon as the item shipped I cancel the preorder

If I do that often I assume amazon can ban me ?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3479 upvotes
The NORTH
Sure, they are a private company and can ban your account anytime they want for any reason.

Will they is the question you are looking for an answer to. Probably not is about the best answer you will get.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4495 posts
4024 upvotes
Why would they, since they usually offer that item to you for that purpose -- they'd rather you buy the $25 item from them rather than have you ditch the order and go somewhere else to avoid the shipping...

If you want to be banned from Amazon, start returning way too many purchases.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2428 posts
959 upvotes
Quebec
kr0zet wrote: Sure, they are a private company and can ban your account anytime they want for any reason.

Will they is the question you are looking for an answer to. Probably not is about the best answer you will get.
Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3896 posts
3668 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Why would they, since they usually offer that item to you for that purpose -- they'd rather you buy the $25 item from them rather than have you ditch the order and go somewhere else to avoid the shipping...

If you want to be banned from Amazon, start returning way too many purchases.
lol I've returned every phone case I've bought from them so far this year cause they've all sucked. It's only like 6 orders and I have a bunch more regular orders I've kept but man do I hate how much of a crapshoot cheap phone cases from small companies are.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5296 posts
3904 upvotes
Edmonton
Every time you cancel an item (even a preorder) it is recorded in their system. Whether or not they choose to do anything with that data is up to them. But if you were cancelling items every 100% of the orders you made you might get their attention. Who knows.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5617 posts
6703 upvotes
If you place many orders, then the cancellation is neglectable. Just don't be that stupid and pick the same item every time to cancel, Amazon AI is not that easy to fool.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21075 posts
15016 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
chemicalxv wrote: lol I've returned every phone case I've bought from them so far this year cause they've all sucked. It's only like 6 orders and I have a bunch more regular orders I've kept but man do I hate how much of a crapshoot cheap phone cases from small companies are.
How many orders will it take to convince you that
(a) buying cheap phone cases sight unseen is a crapshoot you're unlikely to win, and
(b) you've wasted more time and fuel returning cheap phone cases than it would have cost to buy a quality phone case in the first place?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3896 posts
3668 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
bylo wrote: How many orders will it take to convince you that
(a) buying cheap phone cases sight unseen is a crapshoot you're unlikely to win, and
(b) you've wasted more time and fuel returning cheap phone cases than it would have cost to buy a quality phone case in the first place?
They get delivered right to my door and I've never gone out of my way to return them (like yesterday, I had to go to the mall to do something else so I just dropped it off at the Shoppers there).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8102 posts
4487 upvotes
Alberta
chemicalxv wrote: lol I've returned every phone case I've bought from them so far this year cause they've all sucked. It's only like 6 orders and I have a bunch more regular orders I've kept but man do I hate how much of a crapshoot cheap phone cases from small companies are.
Then why bother buying them if you know they are garbage. Buy a Spigen or Otterbox.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3896 posts
3668 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
jackrabbit000 wrote: Then why bother buying them if you know they are garbage. Buy a Spigen or Otterbox.
Everything Otterbox is too bulky for my liking. I have Spigen cases but I'm starting to get annoyed with how quickly the clear ones start yellowing and all the ones with plastic components either have the plastic break or the colouring starts to wear off and you end up with white patches.
Jun 1, 2015
585 posts
183 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Is Amazon starting to crack down on preorders combined with "add on" items?

I did that the other week to get my add on items to ship, received add on item and went to cancel the preordered game and instead of letting me cancel the preordered game, I got a message saying I need to contact customer service. Never experienced that before. Anyone else come across the same thing recently?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3658 posts
2204 upvotes
Vancouver
Amazon uses an algorithm to ban automatically and no one is certain exactly what the algorithm is (tho many have theories).

Fact is, the more you return, the more likely you will be banned. Of course it takes in account the number of orders you made and total purchase price (aka % of that returned both in terms of # and $). Realistically, customers who don't abuse the system (or at least not too much) should NOT be close to the ban threshold. However if all you do is pre-order games to cancel and buy addon products, its possible your return percentage gets high enough to cross this threshold.