Shopping Discussion

Can anyone explain how to redeem Petro-Points for gas?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 5:52 pm
[OP]
Nov 11, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Can anyone explain how to redeem Petro-Points for gas?

I have contacted Petro Canada by mail and by phone and I am still unable to figure out how to redeem my thousands of Petro-Points for gas. This must be the most complicated bonus points system ever invented and I wonder if it's a planned disincentive to redeem your points! This is what I understand so far.

- You can not transfer or redeem points to your Petro-Points card, this card is only used to acquire new points.
- In order to redeem your points for gas you have to use a Fuel Savings Reward Card - of which there are two - a 10c one and a 5c one.
- Although the Petro-Points website claims that you can get a card and activate it online and transfer your points to it, you cannot actually activate a new card online.
- On the phone I was told that you have to actually buy the 20,000 points that the new Fuel Savings Card comes with in order to activate it. I don't want to buy 20,000 points, I want to redeem my own.
- The website says you can transfer your points to a Fuel Savings Reward Card "in-store", but my experience so far, is that the in-store clerks are not familiar with, or don't understand, how to do this.
- It appears that once your Savings Reward Card is activated you can then transfer points to it online. But given that the website also says you can activate the Fuel Savings Card card online and you can't, I wonder if this is correct.

SUPPORT CONCLUSION BY PHONE
The lengthy conversation I had on the phone resulted in the conclusion that I could only buy the points on a Fuel Savings Reward Card to activate it.

SUPPORT EMAIL QUOTE
If you want to redeem your points, you need to use your Petro-Points card. If you want to buy Fuel Saving Reward card by using points, you need to use your Petro-Points card to redeem points. While at the station, simply select your reward and hand your Petro-Points card to one of our attendants. The redemption will then be processed. Does this make sense to anyone? The website clearly states you cannot use your Petro-Points card to redeem points. And what do they mean by "choose" your reward? Do they actually mean you can donate, or buy a gift card, or choose one of the other options to redeem points in-store as well? I find that hard to believe.

Has anyone been able to successfully redeem points for the first time? I would love to hear how you did it.

Thanks
Charles
Last edited by Charles_i on Feb 14th, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12 replies
Aug 21, 2011
277 posts
35 upvotes
You "good morning, pump 4" them "that will be 46.97" you "put her on put Petro points there eh" them "ok Petro points card please"

1000 points is one dollar. Good luck.
Aug 22, 2013
286 posts
81 upvotes
Edmonton
Picked up a 10c/litre fuel savings card inside and had the clerk redeem my existing points for me (I had over 20,000 points).

After I use up all 200L from the card, I log in online with my petro points card and redeem another 20,000 points to the fuel savings card.
Nov 5, 2015
190 posts
109 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hi,

I have had success by going to Petro-Canada, fill-up at the pump (do not insert any cards into pump before filling up), then enter the booth and hand my red Petro-Points card to the cashier and tell them I want to use my Petro-Points to pay for my fuel. They will scan the card and your total charge for the fuel will be decreased by $1 per 1,000 points in your account.

i.e. fill up for $50, go inside and give card to cashier with 30,000 Petro-Points balance in account, have $30 credited towards the $50 of fuel, then pay remaining balance of $20 ($50 minus $30) with credit/debit/cash.

Good luck!
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16399 posts
2791 upvotes
GTA
bravo to mods for moving this from hot deals forum so quickly
[OP]
Nov 11, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry, I thought I chose "Automotive", and that it was the correct forum when I posted this.

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'll try the "mathieurousseau" method of just using the red Petro-Points card to pay. I'll let you know!

Charles
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4784 posts
2772 upvotes
The easiest way to do one time point redemption is to buy a Petro Can gift card or a third party gift card like Home Depot or Shoppers Drug Mart by redeeming your points for it.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks but it's not a one time redemption. I have a lot of points to use up so I want to start using them for free gas on multiple fill ups. If they will accept the Points card that seems like the easiest way, easier than constantly transferring points to the Rewards card.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16568 posts
13883 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
It only looks complicated, cause there are so many ways to redeem
https://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fuels ... -fuel.aspx

* PC Fuel Savings Cards = cents off per litre
* PC GCs = $ Dollar Value

These Cards can be used at the pump.
And the cards as you’ve discovered are reloadable

If you want to go that route, you can trade in your Points IN STORE for whatever the cards are worth

https://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/petro ... -card.aspx

But, the NEW PetroCanada Program is actually easier to use than the old version cause now it’s just a simple 1000 Points = $ 1

So you can also use your regular PetroCanada Card to pay for fuel at the Cash inside... just tell the Attendant you wish to pay whatever amount in PetroCanada Dollars

https://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/petro ... oints.aspx
[OP]
Nov 11, 2007
20 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting that when I phoned their support line I was told I definitely could NOT use my Points card for gas redemption, and that I had to buy a Rewards card. Sounds like their own people are confused.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2015
4909 posts
2446 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
When you pay inside, just tell them you wanna use "X" number of points against your purchase.
It works on anything in the store, not only gas. I personally use my points to buy gift cards.
Dec 18, 2020
2 posts
MoneyHypeMike wrote: When you pay inside, just tell them you wanna use "X" number of points against your purchase.
It works on anything in the store, not only gas. I personally use my points to buy gift cards.
You no longer can redeem them on gift cards in store
Dec 18, 2020
2 posts
You can redeem points at any participating Petro-Canada Stations or Petro-Pass Stations On any purchase of fuel or instore items (except: Lottery, Tobacco, Vaping Products & Gift Card)

- Source Work For Petro-Canada