Request-A-Deal

Can anyone recommend a 49” or 50” tv for $500 or less?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2018 12:47 am
[OP]
Nov 15, 2002
575 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto

Can anyone recommend a 49” or 50” tv for $500 or less?

It’s a tv for our master bedroom. There are so many brands out there that I’m lost.

I’m not crazy about smart features cause I’m likely to get an amazon fire tv.

Note: it must to be 49 or 50”. Nothing bigger.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2901 posts
1557 upvotes
B.C.
I bought a 50" Sylvania from Amazon for $400 two years ago and it's been great.

I bought with a credit card with extra warranty provided for some extra protection and I've been pretty happy. The reviews are overall pretty good - there are a lot of people that were expecing a top of the line tv 50" tv for a bargain price and were dissapointed. There were a lot of reviews complaining about the sound - which is totally warranted - but mine is connected to a home theatre system anyway.

Canadian Tire carries a similar one for around $400, I believe the newer one is 4k. It was a special buy and most of the local CT stores in town have them for varying prices from $350 to $450.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5204 posts
3544 upvotes
LaLaLand
This is good value at $400, however, they didn't have one in store so was reluctant to buy it. They have an open box one for $320.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/to ... 53580.aspx
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/to ... 45129.aspx

It has limited smart features so if your using fire TV or Apple TV this would be good.

Edit, posted the 55" at first but replaced it.
Last edited by batcave on Jun 21st, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8200 posts
1028 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
lennyandcarl wrote: I bought a 50" Sylvania from Amazon for $400 two years ago and it's been great.

I bought with a credit card with extra warranty provided for some extra protection and I've been pretty happy. The reviews are overall pretty good - there are a lot of people that were expecing a top of the line tv 50" tv for a bargain price and were dissapointed. There were a lot of reviews complaining about the sound - which is totally warranted - but mine is connected to a home theatre system anyway.

Canadian Tire carries a similar one for around $400, I believe the newer one is 4k. It was a special buy and most of the local CT stores in town have them for varying prices from $350 to $450.
My local CT has a 50 inch RCA Roku 4k TV with HDR10 for around $475. They also have a 50 inch Sylvania 4k non-HDR TV for around $360.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4153 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
Used okay?
Got a 50" CRT if you want you can have it. We are in the middle of a move.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2901 posts
1557 upvotes
B.C.
tmkf_patryk wrote: Used okay?
I'll bring the forklift!
Banned
Jun 25, 2018
3 posts
I recently got an LG 4K HDTV for signing up for the new LG phone! Great deal if it's still available. Either keep the phone or sell it, but either way you have a brand spankin' new free TV Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3263 posts
5070 upvotes
GTA North
tmkf_patryk wrote: Used okay?
If the OP wants a TV that will last a long time and does not mind considering an older style TV then the Sony Trinitron 36" WEGA HDTV is rock solid. If you like your TV being on 7-8hrs a day for 17yrs like I did (approx accurate hourly use for us) it will go the extra mile. Bought new and recieved in 2000 and started to have an issue last year with it turning off every 5-10mins. Can't complain as it lasted so long and the picture was good till the end (still is good for it's age). You can find it pop up from time to time free on Kijiji/Craigslist but they go fast as people know they last.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4153 posts
1498 upvotes
Edmonton
thedealhunter2000 wrote: If the OP wants a TV that will last a long time and does not mind considering an older style TV then the Sony Trinitron 36" WEGA HDTV is rock solid. If you like your TV being on 7-8hrs a day for 17yrs like I did (approx accurate hourly use for us) it will go the extra mile. Bought new and recieved in 2000 and started to have an issue last year with it turning off every 5-10mins. Can't complain as it lasted so long and the picture was good till the end (still is good for it's age). You can find it pop up from time to time free on Kijiji/Craigslist but they go fast as people know they last.
I agree. I especially bought a projector. CRT projector. It's big and weighs 245 lbs (and back then it must have cost a fortune) but it's great. Should last pretty much lifetime
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8