Automotive

Can anyone recommend quality license plate covers?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 3:57 am
[OP]
Oct 23, 2017
47 posts
56 upvotes

Can anyone recommend quality license plate covers?

I've had a few cheap ones and they all seem to crack very quickly.
I've browsed Amazon and many of the products, even the pricier ones, there are many complaints that they do not fit Ontario plates properly.
My Crappy Tire ones cracked in no time.

Can anyone recommend some quality plate covers for me?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by playerunknown on Aug 10th, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
28 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Nope. Assuming Ontario, make sure they're trashed every 4.5 years and take them back for 5 year warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
KevinM56081 wrote: Nope. Assuming Ontario, make sure they're trashed every 4.5 years and take them back for 5 year warranty.
How do you find out how old your license plates are? mine are starting to peel but they might be over five years... or right at the 5 year mark. I might try to blame CoVid for not taking them back sooner.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
kr0zet wrote: How do you find out how old your license plates are? mine are starting to peel but they might be over five years... or right at the 5 year mark. I might try to blame CoVid for not taking them back sooner.
Bought the car I drive in November 2016.... it came with plates.

Wifes car was purchased in May 2019.... with plates.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
KevinM56081 wrote: Bought the car I drive in November 2016.... it came with plates.

Wifes car was purchased in May 2019.... with plates.
SMH... You are a genius. Just thought about it and I bought in 2016 with plates. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6026 posts
7430 upvotes
GTA
playerunknown wrote: I've had a few cheap ones and they all seem to crack very quickly.
I've browsed Amazon and many of the products, even the pricier ones, there are many complaints that they do not fit Ontario plates properly.
My Crappy Tire ones cracked in no time.

Can anyone recommend some quality plate covers for me?

Thanks in advance!
They are illegal. You most likely won't get stopped for having them but they may issue a ticket if you get stopped for another reason like speeding.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19432 posts
22538 upvotes
GTA
I would recommend against it if you're young, or a person of colour. Just an excuse for cops to pull you over and harass you. Happened to too many of my POC friends.
If you're middle aged white person, go for it. Never heard of any white friends being pulled for plate covers. Even my dad with his faded barely legible covers.

You can make your covers last longer if you coat them with a UV protectant, either a film or spray.
https://www.amazon.ca/303-130340-Aerosp ... 00AJVP7T4/
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4098 posts
4296 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Just buy the $15 ones on amazon and replace them every couple years. They're all made of crappy quality plastic.

If you get clear or a very light tint you won't probably get hassled. Police don't enforce the plate covers at all unless they've already pulled you over and are in a bad mood.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
Last time I was at the ServiceOntario the were selling license plate covers right beside the personalized plates.
[OP]
Oct 23, 2017
47 posts
56 upvotes
So plate covers are illegal?
But dealerships deliver their cars with plate covers?

I just don't want to advertise dealerships but my plates started flaking...
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5152 posts
6926 upvotes
Toronto, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: Nope. Assuming Ontario, make sure they're trashed every 4.5 years and take them back for 5 year warranty.
What's a good way to trash the plates?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
er34er34 wrote: What's a good way to trash the plates?
Free replacements for peeling plates as long as they are under warranty (5 year warranty) .
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
In Ontario. Drive down the road with no covers. The front will self destruct itself!
Sep 30, 2001
29441 posts
8936 upvotes
Toronto
playerunknown wrote: So plate covers are illegal?
But dealerships deliver their cars with plate covers?
A full license plate cover can be illegal depending on the officer if they feel it's obscuring the plate. A dealer plate frame (which is maybe what you meant?) probably won't raise an eyebrow unless the frame is so thick that it covers the sticker (etc).

Best suggestion is to remove the dealer frame and go one with your day. Make sure the plate is clean and visible during bad weather.

Code: Select all

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/mobility/article-why-was-i-ticketed-for-a-plastic-covering-over-a-licence-plate/
"The law is clear, sort of – licence plate covers aren’t illegal, but you could still get a ticket if you have one.

In Ontario, Section 13.2 of the Highway Traffic Act states, ”every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried.”

Who decides whether plates are visible?

“As with all laws, it is up to law enforcement officers to exercise their judgment and apply the HTA,” Courtney Anderson, Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.:
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
MrDisco wrote: A full license plate cover can be illegal depending on the officer if they feel it's obscuring the plate. A dealer plate frame (which is maybe what you meant?) probably won't raise an eyebrow unless the frame is so thick that it covers the sticker (etc).

Best suggestion is to remove the dealer frame and go one with your day. Make sure the plate is clean and visible during bad weather.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/m ... nce-plate/
Off topic... Every Globe & Mail article I click on is broken by the click.linksynergy garbage. Is there anyway around this??
Sep 30, 2001
29441 posts
8936 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: Off topic... Every Globe & Mail article I click on is broken by the click.linksynergy garbage. Is there anyway around this??
I'll pass your message along.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19432 posts
22538 upvotes
GTA
Bake them in the oven, hit them with a heat gun, etc.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1382 posts
1414 upvotes
ON
I bought the plate covers just over 3 years ago when I purchased a new car and got new plates. So far they have been holding up extremely well. Got them from Crappy Tire and made sure to get the clear ones and not the smoked cover.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
823 upvotes
as much as I hate to say this... the ones that I got from DON VALLEY TOYOTA never seem to fade or crack... not sure what material they're made with.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)