Automotive

Can anyone recommend quality license plate covers?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 3:57 am
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1320 upvotes
Hometown
engineered wrote: I would recommend against it if you're young, or a person of colour. Just an excuse for cops to pull you over and harass you. Happened to too many of my POC friends.
If you're middle aged white person, go for it. Never heard of any white friends being pulled for plate covers. Even my dad with his faded barely legible covers.

You can make your covers last longer if you coat them with a UV protectant, either a film or spray.
https://www.amazon.ca/303-130340-Aerosp ... 00AJVP7T4/
I can't disagree with it being illegal if they cover any part of the plate a cop thinks it should not. Bottom line it is a nice gotcha for the cops when they just want to harass the good and honest citizens of the province. So it is best to avoid using them.

The trouble I do HAVE is many of our town cop cars have them on their units from the dealers that "sold/donated at a good price" the vehicles to the cops. In each case where they on the a police unit the bottom tip of all the letters are definitely obscured.

I would hope everyone in town here notices it and points it out if they EVER get written up for theirs. Nothing like poking the bear when they are writing you up. Or they take a picture and show the Crown and justice of peace when they fight the ticket LOL.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3354 posts
972 upvotes
Vaughan
What are you doing to these plate covers? I've never had one crack. I've used them on literally all my cars. I replace them every few years, because they get worn down over time, and its not as clear. I bought a few from nextmod markham for $5 a piece.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12428 posts
2148 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: I would recommend against it if you're young, or a person of colour. Just an excuse for cops to pull you over and harass you. Happened to too many of my POC friends.
If you're middle aged white person, go for it. Never heard of any white friends being pulled for plate covers. Even my dad with his faded barely legible covers.

You can make your covers last longer if you coat them with a UV protectant, either a film or spray.
https://www.amazon.ca/303-130340-Aerosp ... 00AJVP7T4/
altering is illegal as well. telling a person to commit a crime is also a crime. FYI.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19641 posts
22995 upvotes
GTA
qaz393 wrote: altering is illegal as well. telling a person to commit a crime is also a crime. FYI.
Guess almost everyone in this thread is a felon then.

Should also arrest everyone at the MTO for selling plate covers.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9185 upvotes
The NORTH
Canuck2fan wrote: I can't disagree with it being illegal if they cover any part of the plate a cop thinks it should not. Bottom line it is a nice gotcha for the cops when they just want to harass the good and honest citizens of the province. So it is best to avoid using them.

The trouble I do HAVE is many of our town cop cars have them on their units from the dealers that "sold/donated at a good price" the vehicles to the cops. In each case where they on the a police unit the bottom tip of all the letters are definitely obscured.

I would hope everyone in town here notices it and points it out if they EVER get written up for theirs. Nothing like poking the bear when they are writing you up. Or they take a picture and show the Crown and justice of peace when they fight the ticket LOL.
If you're getting pulled over for a plate violation I wouldn't suggest getting out of your car to go take a picture of the patrol car... They are already obviously having a bad day. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1320 upvotes
Hometown
kr0zet wrote: If you're getting pulled over for a plate violation I wouldn't suggest getting out of your car to go take a picture of the patrol car... They are already obviously having a bad day. :)
LOL Good point, but this is a tiny town pretending to be a small city... So it is not too difficult to catch all the police units at donut shops, to get the photos before you would have your first meeting with the Crown. I would advise doing that discretely too, lest you find yourself on some terrorist watch list in these troubled times between police and the public.

To be fair it is the ONE thing I have never heard a cop write a ticket for here though. Probably because of the dealers strong civic support to the department...