Investing

Can anyone talk about their experience with index funds?

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2016 9:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
314 upvotes
EAST YORK

Can anyone talk about their experience with index funds?

Thinking about investing in the TD E-series index. Has anyone done that, or other index funds? If so, how have they worked for you? I'm looking for something passive, relatively safe and with good returns for the long-long term (think 30-35 years). This will basically be a retirement fund.
20 replies
Sr. Member
May 5, 2010
971 posts
118 upvotes
The best part is there are no commissions as a TD client.

Buy and forget with reinvested dividends.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
468 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
baddoctor wrote: Thinking about investing in the TD E-series index. Has anyone done that, or other index funds? If so, how have they worked for you? I'm looking for something passive, relatively safe and with good returns for the long-long term (think 30-35 years). This will basically be a retirement fund.
NO, it's too traumatic
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
2272 posts
2096 upvotes
Montreal
I think they are great for every investor. I have been index investing for the last 10 years and it has been one of the best things I ever did. See thread socialmindset linked to for more info.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
4156 posts
4065 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
ValueInvestor wrote: They're great for the naive investors.
Actually they're great for pretty much every investor. People who think they can do better than index funds, over the long term, are those who are naive.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 4, 2005
2945 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
ValueInvestor wrote: sorry, I meant to say novice not naive investors.
I took your "naive" as people who don't want to put in the effort while investing. I've set up the e-series account for my younger brother. Every week he get's paid, his money get's skimmed. He blows the rest on hookers and cocaine, but at least I know I won't have to pay his food bills when he's 65.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1160 posts
382 upvotes
Calgary, AB
virgininvestor wrote: What's so special about them other than they're cheap mutual funds?
They provide a simple, low-cost solution and broad diversification. Basically, passive investing done right.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
1935 posts
700 upvotes
Vancouver
bluejazzy wrote: The best part is there are no commissions as a TD client.

Buy and forget with reinvested dividends.
This. Quite often investors do not take into account the profit destruction of commissions by buying individual stocks, it was fine for me when I was with VB but now that I am with TDDI i am only adding contributions to e-series funds.
Sr. Member
Jul 17, 2013
584 posts
94 upvotes
Greenwich, CT
There is absolutely no reason to buy TD e-series over Mawer mutual funds.

What is wrong with you people?

The whole passive investing thing is over-hyped.
Sr. Member
Oct 27, 2014
555 posts
1067 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TranscendentExp wrote: There is absolutely no reason to buy TD e-series over Mawer mutual funds.

What is wrong with you people?

The whole passive investing thing is over-hyped.
Mawer US fund and bond funds aren't very good. I don't think they even outperform the benchmarks.
Sr. Member
Jul 17, 2013
584 posts
94 upvotes
Greenwich, CT
muppetslayer wrote: Mawer US fund and bond funds aren't very good. I don't think they even outperform the benchmarks.
(1) It's a bond fund. Only way you can outperform is by taking on more risk. Just go with the bond fund with the lowest fees.
(2) Why don't you compare Mawer's US fund to the TD e-series US fund.
Newbie
Jan 31, 2015
46 posts
57 upvotes
baddoctor wrote: Thinking about investing in the TD E-series index. Has anyone done that, or other index funds? If so, how have they worked for you? I'm looking for something passive, relatively safe and with good returns for the long-long term (think 30-35 years). This will basically be a retirement fund.
Index funds are great. My TFSA and RSP are all index funds. I only hold individual stocks in my non-registered account, but I prefer index investing.
Newbie
Jun 5, 2014
66 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you index with Tangerine, wouldn't it negate the benefits of indexing since it has such high MER/fees?
Member
Mar 5, 2009
369 posts
124 upvotes
Astaya wrote: If you index with Tangerine, wouldn't it negate the benefits of indexing since it has such high MER/fees?
It negates one benefit which is not having low mer fees. You still have the benefit of investing against an index that will out perform most actively managed funds.

Top