Real Estate

Can Anything Be Done About a Neighbour’s House?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2022 5:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
651 posts
272 upvotes
Bradford

Can Anything Be Done About a Neighbour’s House?

Long story short, my neighbour is a big supporter of the freedom convoy, etc. His house is plastered with F* Trudeau flags and various other things including Russian flags.

I’m assuming you are free to do whatever you want on your property? Only reason I’m curious is the neighbour on the other side was over today saying he had a real estate agent in as they are looking to sell and downsize. Agent basically told my neighbour “good luck selling with that house beside you.”

I guess it’s similar to a house being unkept or lawn not mowed?
32 replies
Sep 27, 2021
579 posts
767 upvotes
The agent said his personal opinion- not a fact.
It very much depend on the buyer. For example, someone would be very much interested to buy a house in the neighborhood with "F*k Trudeau" flags flying all over.
Jul 26, 2015
394 posts
461 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Topher86 wrote: Long story short, my neighbour is a big supporter of the freedom convoy, etc. His house is plastered with F* Trudeau flags and various other things including Russian flags.

I’m assuming you are free to do whatever you want on your property? Only reason I’m curious is the neighbour on the other side was over today saying he had a real estate agent in as they are looking to sell and downsize. Agent basically told my neighbour “good luck selling with that house beside you.”

I guess it’s similar to a house being unkept or lawn not mowed?
Check your City bylaws. You can not do “anything you want” at your property.
There are regulations about unsightly properties.
Also if the property occupant is a tenant then he can be potentially evicted if he is a nuisance to neighbours.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1048 posts
1676 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
JimJas wrote: The agent said his personal opinion- not a fact.
It very much depend on the buyer. For example, someone would be very much interested to buy a house in the neighborhood with "F*k Trudeau" flags flying all over.
Do you honestly think that someone looking to buy is going to look at the described house above and think "I'm going to make a bid on it because I want to live next to that guy?" Really?
I would agree that some may not care what is next door and it may not deter them but there's no way that it would encourage them to buy.

And you can be 100% certain that it would deter some buyers.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2851 posts
1977 upvotes
Yeah if I was buying honestly I wouldn't be looking at your house neither. Having a nightmare of a neighbor makes a TON of difference vs a pleasant one.

I had a previous neighbor who had hardcore communist ideas and it was unbearable alongside with his endless pursuit of being the tidiest home (no issue with that, but you aint telling me how short I should be cutting my grass). It was annoying AF.

And Ive seen a house just like that and it's very unsightly
Oct 14, 2010
709 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
Worriedone wrote: Do you honestly think that someone looking to buy is going to look at the described house above and think "I'm going to make a bid on it because I want to live next to that guy?" Really?
I would agree that some may not care what is next door and it may not deter them but there's no way that it would encourage them to buy.

In Toronto it would deter many buyers and reduce what the seller might have gotten otherwise.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5822 posts
3079 upvotes
Winnipeg
how about you (and your neighbour) putting up a few rainbow & BLM flags?
Last edited by Wpegger on Dec 4th, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoomer Wireless | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Dec 14, 2021
481 posts
1182 upvotes
What kind of advice is happening here?

How about starting with just having a nice, light conversation with the neighbour, saying you want to sell your place, and your agent thought it would be easier if the street was neutral to get all buyers...and would he mind taking down the flags...just for a week or two? That 'you' don't mind them, but someone else might. Not everyone with strong ideology is unsympathetic to causing unintentional harm to another.

If he/she isn't understanding and says no...offer them $500 for a month of propaganda-less front yard...even jackasses love money.

If it is still a no...then go crazy with retaliation if that is in your nature. I wouldn't start with a stick...if a carrot can get the job done.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2021
2172 posts
2767 upvotes
Rural Kanata
Check the restrictive covenants on title. Most say no flags or signs.

If this is townhouse, without a question has these covenants that are enforceable.
Banned
Oct 31, 2022
60 posts
49 upvotes
LordOfTheManor wrote: Check the covenants on title. Most say no flags or signs.

If this is townhouse, without a question has these covenants that are enforceable.
Good, does that also include those people who feel it's necessary to put up election signs? Do these weirdos really think I'll be voting for Joe Blow just because you are?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2021
2172 posts
2767 upvotes
Rural Kanata
Don1954 wrote: Good, does that also include those people who feel it's necessary to put up election signs? Do these weirdos really think I'll be voting for Joe Blow just because you are?
LOL usually they get an exemption, same with “For Sale” signs.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4395 posts
743 upvotes
Worriedone wrote: Do you honestly think that someone looking to buy is going to look at the described house above and think "I'm going to make a bid on it because I want to live next to that guy?" Really?

It's the same thing as you not agreeing with your neighbor's political views, only difference is, this guy made it publicly known.

Would it deter me? Probably not because I agree with those views.
Would it deter others who do not? Absolutely.

But sure, as a seller, I'd want to get the most money for my property and that means marketing it to as many people as possible.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
651 posts
272 upvotes
Bradford
StatikIEV wrote: What kind of advice is happening here?

How about starting with just having a nice, light conversation with the neighbour, saying you want to sell your place, and your agent thought it would be easier if the street was neutral to get all buyers...and would he mind taking down the flags...just for a week or two? That 'you' don't mind them, but someone else might. Not everyone with strong ideology is unsympathetic to causing unintentional harm to another.

If he/she isn't understanding and says no...offer them $500 for a month of propaganda-less front yard...even jackasses love money.

If it is still a no...then go crazy with retaliation if that is in your nature. I wouldn't start with a stick...if a carrot can get the job done.
This neighbour is not taking it down for anything.
Dec 14, 2021
481 posts
1182 upvotes
Topher86 wrote: This neighbour is not taking it down for anything.
If the bridge is burned before the sale decision between neighbours, it's kinda their chance to twist the knife...probably nothing they can do.
Jul 31, 2017
909 posts
444 upvotes

It would if they agreed with the guy.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2501 posts
1606 upvotes
Calgary
.. i will call the bylaws. end of story. In our city they have clear mandate on this.
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 4th, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: flame bait
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2013
1048 posts
1676 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: It would if they agreed with the guy.
So you are claiming that you would make the basis of your home purchase not on the layout or aesthetics/amenities of the house itself but rather what your neighbor political viewpoint is?

Are you for real? Am I in the twilight zone here?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3294 posts
6304 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Sucks to have a neighbour like that.

If memory serves me right there is a bylaw (not sure if across all municipalities) where you can't fly any other flag unless you have the Canadian flag up top and then whatever the other flag is has to be below it. So there is a bylaw infraction for sure. There is a house in my neighbourhood that has a mast and they fly random flags all the time, but it's usually normal things like the current flag is "Merry Christmas" before that it was a Halloween one, etc. nobobdy bothers them because they do it tastefully and place looks good.

The realtor is right, nobody will want to live next to this shit.
RE Broker
Jul 31, 2017
909 posts
444 upvotes
Worriedone wrote: So you are claiming that you would make the basis of your home purchase not on the layout or aesthetics/amenities of the house itself but rather what your neighbor political viewpoint is?

Are you for real? Am I in the twilight zone here?

Someone else claimed that the existence of such a person would deter others from buying, and I merely pointed out that if someone else agreed with them then they wouldn't be put off. ..
Last edited by MrDisco on Dec 4th, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
Sep 23, 2011
473 posts
756 upvotes
Vaughan
Wonder how much longer before thread is locked up… Keep that garbage in the politics threads.