Home & Garden

Can builders set up office on my property?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2009 11:39 am
[OP]
Dec 10, 2008
30 posts
Downsview

Can builders set up office on my property?

Hi,

This has nothing to do with shopping, but I have a question.

We just bough a brand new house. During our pre-delivery inspection our builder informed us that their office would be in the trailer located right outside our front doorstep (we are a corner house- and the trailer is actually on a portion of where our grass should be...just before the sidewalk)...anyway, the informed us that they would be on this portion of land for the next year!

We were aware that they would be set up there but we thought it was for a month or so.

What I am wondering is...can they do this? I don't recall reading anything in the contract and our lawyer never mentioned anything to us.

In any case shouldn
9 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10897 posts
2023 upvotes
I assume once the title is yours, and the property is yours, unless it's written in your contract, I don't think they have the right to be there.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16763 posts
2434 upvotes
Corner lots have a lighting triangle - this portion of land belongs to the city not you. Perhaps the trailer is located on this area?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10897 posts
2023 upvotes
well it's either a big patch of land to be able to have a trailer sit on there
[OP]
Dec 10, 2008
30 posts
Downsview
speedyforme wrote: well it's either a big patch of land to be able to have a trailer sit on there
ITs one of those portable trailer/houses/offices that you see on building sites. There is also a porto-potty beside it! Its not that big. Its basically where the grass would normally be on a corner lot and then you have the sidewalk where the fence would be.

I will have to check the deed to see what exactly is ours...maybe it belongs to the city, either way, I was kind of shocked a year is a long time and the didn't say anthing untill a week before closing.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16763 posts
2434 upvotes
That's unfortunately how its like to buy a new house - perhaps you should file a complaint... perhaps get some free upgrades/refund?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Well the patch of land won't belong to the municipality yet, it will still belong to the developer, of which the builder is part of.

The purchase agreements that I have seen usually state something in them regarding use of land for right of way during construction and such. It may be somewhat extreme to actually have a trailer sitting on it.

I'm pretty sure they don't want to be there.. but if there is no other options in the neighbourhood you may be stuck with it.

Contact your customer service department and see what can be done.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1813 posts
382 upvotes
Winnipeg
Contact your lawyer to see if it is in the contract. If it is on city land they would need a permit or to do it.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2804 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Kiki74 wrote: ITs one of those portable trailer/houses/offices that you see on building sites. There is also a porto-potty beside it! Its not that big. Its basically where the grass would normally be on a corner lot and then you have the sidewalk where the fence would be.

I will have to check the deed to see what exactly is ours...maybe it belongs to the city, either way, I was kind of shocked a year is a long time and the didn't say anthing untill a week before closing.
Check your property survey to determine how much you actually have. Often, it is much less than the homeowner thinks they own on a corner lot.

Normally, these construction offices are placed on what will become the boulevard & sidewalk area owned by the City, and just off the home owner's lot. The builder/developer will know exactly where the lot line is.
bryan35 wrote: Contact your lawyer to see if it is in the contract. If it is on city land they would need a permit or to do it.
If this is a new or infill subdivision, the City will not own the property until it is deeded and turned over to the city for assumption. This usually occurs 2-3 years after the subdivision is completed. The builder/developer can set up and maintain a construction camp during and until construction is completed in the area.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2008
30 posts
Downsview
Thanks for all your replies. It is actually a new subdivision so the land is not owned by the city as yet. still trying to figure out how much of it we own. I've spoken to the lawyer and they are checking, so we will seee.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)