• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 5:50 am
[OP]
May 12, 2019
16 posts
2 upvotes
vancouver

Can buyer and seller use the same real estate lawyer

I just found out the buyer found the same lawyer we plan to use. If this allowed or one of us has to find a new lawyer?

FYI, we are located in Vancouver BC
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11869 posts
8128 upvotes
Edmonton
Even if it's technically allowed, I don't think I'd do it. One of the purposes for having a lawyer is to resolve any disputes that might arise. I'd rather have someone who I know is on my side, rather than getting paid by both sides. You could, however, use another lawyer within the same firm, perhaps?

It's not like there's a shortage of lawyers in any major city... :)

C
Jan 29, 2017
3 posts
2 upvotes
Can you both use different lawyers at the same law firm?

Regardless as long as both parties know and sign consent it shouldn't be an issue.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1552 posts
1959 upvotes
Allowed but not recommended. As soon as EITHER party has any dispute that lawyer can't act for either of your interests.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3744 posts
3148 upvotes
I agree, not recommended. Lots of lawyers around. Just find another to protect yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5979 posts
1028 upvotes
Potential conflict of interest... lawyers actually shouldn't do it even within the same firm.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1555 posts
847 upvotes
GTA
I would not allow this. Conflict of interest is very real, my friend. You do not want anything to happen to the biggest sale in your life.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!