Off Topic

Can a bylaw officer enter your property without permission ?

[OP]
Aug 29, 2008
690 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto

Can a bylaw officer enter your property without permission ?

I live in Mississauga. I made a quiet bonfire, bylaw just made it to my house without permission and I thought so many questions for potential debate. Is this allowed? Can they force me to put out the fire? What happen if I refuse to let them in or refuse to put it out ? Can you “self defence” yourself since someone came into your house without permission ?
Fire had to be put out because of “Nuisance”. When everybody in my area makes fires except for the next door guy. So he has the right to call by law every time he wants although it’s not close to him and I’m following all bylaws because of Nuisance?!?!

I heard there is a “loophole”. If you are cooking on the fire pit, they can’t make you stop, is that true ?

All comments encouraged
41 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20630 posts
4727 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Gero43 wrote: I live in Mississauga. I made a quiet bonfire, bylaw just made it to my house without permission and I thought so many questions for potential debate. Is this allowed? Can they force me to put out the fire? What happen if I refuse to let them in or refuse to put it out ? Can you “self defence” yourself since someone came into your house without permission ?
Fire had to be put out because of “Nuisance”. When everybody in my area makes fires except for the next door guy. So he has the right to call by law every time he wants although it’s not close to him and I’m following all bylaws because of Nuisance?!?!

I heard there is a “loophole”. If you are cooking on the fire pit, they can’t make you stop, is that true ?

All comments encouraged
So what do you have? A bonfire? Or a fire pit?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15324 posts
4525 upvotes
London
Gero43 wrote: I live in Mississauga. I made a quiet bonfire, bylaw just made it to my house without permission and I thought so many questions for potential debate. Is this allowed? Can they force me to put out the fire? What happen if I refuse to let them in or refuse to put it out ? Can you “self defence” yourself since someone came into your house without permission ?

All comments encouraged
https://www.svlaw.ca/blog/details/item/ ... 20property.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5654 posts
5043 upvotes
Of course they can come on your property and make you stop. Did you apply for an open fire permit and pay the fee?

Cooking food over your bonfire is not a loophole.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13267 posts
8221 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
so the neighbors reported you for something illegal.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5504 posts
2728 upvotes
Mississauga
There are no open fires allowed in the city. Period.

Our previous neighbours had a fire pit and would maybe fire it up a couple of times each summer. One time they had a noisy party and a fire going. Then Mississauga Fire showed up, put the fire out and issued them a significant fine. They never had another fire after that.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
op is lucky fire dept wasnt deployed...they are great for morons that think they can just light a fire anywhere...they just show up with hoses firing and soak down that whole area...then leave you with a $500-$750 bill on top of the bylaw fine.
Sep 3, 2019
342 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
News reports of backyard bonfires going out of control:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/loc ... ouse-fire/

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/ch ... e-18331918

Edit: I bet the people who cause these fires thought there'd be no issues when they started their bonfire and that they'd be able to handle it if things ever got out of hand. Nope!
Last edited by QuicKi7 on Jun 18th, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1296 posts
1206 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: Can't you just follow the bylaws?
THIS! People think it is their house and property so they can do what ever they like. I have no problem with people enjoying themselves but if you party until 1 am then dont be surprised if your neighbors are pissed. Not saying OP did that but maybe your neighbors had windows open and your smoke ended up in their house?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4423 posts
1719 upvotes
Ancaster
Bubblegum86 wrote: THIS! People think it is their house and property so they can do what ever they like. I have no problem with people enjoying themselves but if you party until 1 am then dont be surprised if your neighbors are pissed. Not saying OP did that but maybe your neighbors had windows open and your smoke ended up in their house?
Exactly. It's not hard. Break by-laws and annoy your neighbours, don't be surprised if you eat a fine. My neighbours around the corner were complaining to me that they were fined $1,250 per person plus several noise and nuisance fines for hosting a 12 person party. Uh, idiot, don't host a party that runs until 3 AM on a Sunday with a number of people that violates the COVID by-laws and you'll be fine. It's simple.
Aug 11, 2018
712 posts
585 upvotes

All comments encouraged
ah, yet another great member of society who believes that the laws don't apply to them...
[OP]
Aug 29, 2008
690 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Gotta love the comments and I do like the knowledge rather than trying to bend the rules. I was doing a fire pit not a bonfire, I thought they were equivalents. We were 2 people on a quite small fire.

I was just asking because it came to my mind bylaw have a lot of power to just walk into your property. In this case he asked me and I said yes please come in, but wondered what would happen if I say no (I probably wouldn’t have the guts to say it even if it was my right ). Good thing we have a huge backward we moved the fire pit to the other corner while following bylaws of 12-15 feet I think it was and hope is good enough for Neibourghs. Now, if neibourghs still get annoyed and call again, and bylaw comes ready to issue me a ticket, I would be interested in knowing a “loophole”. I don’t see that as “being above the system” but rather making sure they don’t ticket me on the second try where I modified some behaviour and trying again. Unfortunately Neibourghs are not friendly enough to have a conversation and discuss it.

And yet, I find it funny how someone can call and say it’s a nuisance because they don’t like you and you cannot make fires ever again. Not like noise complaints where they can actually measure your decibels. Would be nice to have something along those lines
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3877 posts
243 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Hate to admit this we called the fire department once on a house few houses down known to be a party house and was a headache for the area because they build this mini campsite in the backyard and was burning scrap wood as tinder a 11pm at night.The firefighters brought in a extingisher and put the bonfire out and the landlord was charged about $500 for the false alarm.It seems they previously had another false alarm when a internal monitoring system was faulty.