Cell Phones

Can a cell phone determine source of a VOIP call?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 9:01 pm
[OP]
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
927 upvotes

Can a cell phone determine source of a VOIP call?

if you were to look at the source code and view the VOIP call info, could you see info on where the call originated from (as long as no VPN is used)?

on my iPhone, voip calls are generally displayed like so:

as opposed to (which come from regular landlines):

(123) 456-7890

if the number is formatted correctly, i answer it and 99% of the time it's a legit call. anytime a number is not formatted correctly, i either answer and end the call right away (to avoid voicemail) or if i do send it to voicemail, it's 100% of the time some bullshit anyways.

can apple or google basically develop something into their respective OS' that stops VOIP calls from coming in if they're with a spoof'd number? there has to be some sort of data coming through the line to connect the call. should i be able to block any VOIP calls not originating in Canada/North America?

maybe even taking it 1 step further and if any of these calls over VOIP come in, it gets flagged as spam then it gets blocked at the source (not just blocking the number), info gets pushed to iCloud and in turn to all iPhone devices in real time?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1960 posts
2501 upvotes
idontwantausername wrote: if you were to look at the source code and view the VOIP call info, could you see info on where the call originated from (as long as no VPN is used)?

can apple or google basically develop something into their respective OS' that stops VOIP calls from coming in if they're with a spoof'd number? there has to be some sort of data coming through the line to connect the call. should i be able to block any VOIP calls not originating in Canada/North America?
To answer your question. Currently. No. Because the information is obtained by the telecom provider, call routing information is not passed to the end-user.
maybe even taking it 1 step further and if any of these calls over VOIP come in, it gets flagged as spam then it gets blocked at the source (not just blocking the number), info gets pushed to iCloud and in turn to all iPhone devices in real time?
Not VOIP specifically, because most VOIP calls are actually legitimate and you wouldn't know it is VOIP anyway when it is legit. The real problem is Caller ID spoofing. The fact that it is easier to do on VOIP is just a side effect and not a root cause. VOIP isn't the problem.

CRTC has made it a requirement for Telecom providers in Canada to provide an Anti-spoofing tactic by September. See here: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

The measure used in Canada and the US is called STIR/SHAKEN. You can read more about it here: https://transnexus.com/whitepapers/unde ... ir-shaken/ It should be relatively effective.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7428 posts
2381 upvotes
0 downvotes
probably not, I thought for a second that you could trace voip calls with SS7 analyzer, but then again wifi calling enabled handsets are technically SIP but using a protocol called GAN over cellular infastructure and backbone, and they are routed the same as cellular calls, so sorry no cigar here
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)