Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Can-Com] Can-Com Internet (Western Canada / Shaw Service Territory)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 1:07 pm
Sep 11, 2017
1 posts
Williams Lake, BC
Having 4 solid lights on the modem would indicate Service is active. The flashing Link light indicates normal connection to a device (i.e. router, computer etc...). If you have connected you computer directly to the modem, make sure to power cycle the modem first, in order to receive a new IP address (in this case Shaw).
If you can, try this;
1) unplug power from the modem
2) connect the LAN cable to your computer
3) reconnect power to the modem, wait until first 4 lights are solid
4) power up your computer and check for Internet

If this works, repeat those steps, but connect your router instead of the computer.

We have support available to assist with this until 10pm your time.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4008 posts
1516 upvotes
AB
meg2006 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 6:48 pm
Bluiis48, thanks for your message!
Yes I got a Technicolor modem. All lights are solid except the last one - Link is flashing. When I talked to Can-com technician, I have been given two different answers. One technician told me that if the link is flashing that means everything is good. Another technician said that a flashing light means no internet. I don't know which answer is correct.
I also connected my computer directly to the modem. Still no connection.
Did you try to plug in directly to the modem with a cable to your computer?
Oct 10, 2016
199 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
I just have a question here, did your TP-Link router show the 'check' at the internet after you plug the modem cable into the internet port?

may be your pc has a static IP (the stupid TP-LINK router needs you to set the static IP in the router's address reservation table) , Or you need to reset your computer network setting (I remember I need to reset my PC (windows 10) networking setting after I change from shaw to cancom).
Feb 2, 2008
109 posts
6 upvotes
Alberta
Bluiis48 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 7:11 pm
OK, flashing Link on mine all others solid. I believe you should indeed have internet. Don't know how tech savvy you are but are you sure your computer is set to dhcp ? If you know how, at a command prompt type ipconfig/ all and it should show your network settings. To make sure you are getting the best support phone CanCom and ask for Dave. Can't believe they would let you Down.
I will try again tomorrow and ask for Dave. Thanks!
Feb 2, 2008
109 posts
6 upvotes
Alberta
RobertL130 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 9:27 pm
I just have a question here, did your TP-Link router show the 'check' at the internet after you plug the modem cable into the internet port?

may be your pc has a static IP (the stupid TP-LINK router needs you to set the static IP in the router's address reservation table) , Or you need to reset your computer network setting (I remember I need to reset my PC (windows 10) networking setting after I change from shaw to cancom).
It shows "TP-link, no internet" on my computer and cellphone. How do I set the static IP in the router's address reservation table?
Oct 10, 2016
199 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
meg2006 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:15 pm
It shows "TP-link, no internet" on my computer and cellphone. How do I set the static IP in the router's address reservation table?
First of all, does it show the "check mark" in your router admin page?

P.S. when it says "blah blah no internet", it don't not necessary mean the router has no internet. It may only mean your device has no internet access right
Feb 2, 2008
109 posts
6 upvotes
Alberta
ciuvak wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 9:23 pm
Did you try to plug in directly to the modem with a cable to your computer?
Yes I did. I plug in directly to the modem with a cable to my computer.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4008 posts
1516 upvotes
AB
meg2006 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:56 pm
Yes I did. I plug in directly to the modem with a cable to my computer.
The idea is to plug a device directly to the modem and understand if the modem is active and connected to the internet. Then this would point to the router as the issue. In your case if you've tried direct connection already and it doesn't work, not sure if the modem is active and working. Unless your computer is not set to auto IP & DHCP. Can you confirm that the LAN connection is set to auto DHCP?
Oct 10, 2016
199 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 12:14 am
The idea is to plug a device directly to the modem and understand if the modem is active and connected to the internet. Then this would point to the router as the issue. In your case if you've tried direct connection already and it doesn't work, not sure if the modem is active and working. Unless your computer is not set to auto IP & DHCP. Can you confirm that the LAN connection is set to auto DHCP?
Nowadays, the stupid OS's security policy will need you to re-config the computer network (public, private, work, home ,,,,) as well. It is because you switch to another network.

So, the first step is to check the router admin page; it will tell you right away :)
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4008 posts
1516 upvotes
AB
RobertL130 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 1:00 am
Nowadays, the stupid OS's security policy will need you to re-config the computer network (public, private, work, home ,,,,) as well. It is because you switch to another network.
So, the first step is to check the router admin page; it will tell you right away :)
Yeah, I thought it would be more simple to check if the computer has the right setting already. Like this:

Oct 10, 2016
199 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 1:28 am
Yeah, I thought it would be more simple to check if the computer has the right setting already. Like this:

I understand where you are coming from; it was a good testing method in the old day. Nowadays, many users have their own little lan with various settings. You may mess up their lan. In fact, this testing will not work if they hv their own dns settings. So, we better check the modem to router first.
Feb 2, 2008
109 posts
6 upvotes
Alberta
Update:

This morning when I called Can-com support team again, I was told Shaw responded to their email and said the activation has been done. I went to the house after work and plugged in the computer with cable directly to modem again. This time the internet worked.

Can-com sent me an email this afternoon stating that a service call from Shaw on 24 Sep. could be booked as the earliest available time slot in their calendar.

PS. I signed up the service on Sep. 4.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4008 posts
1516 upvotes
AB
meg2006 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 1:02 am
Update:
This morning when I called Can-com support team again, I was told Shaw responded to their email and said the activation has been done. I went to the house after work and plugged in the computer with cable directly to modem again. This time the internet worked.
Can-com sent me an email this afternoon stating that a service call from Shaw on 24 Sep. could be booked as the earliest available time slot in their calendar.
PS. I signed up the service on Sep. 4.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
So everything works now? Even through the router?
Sep 19, 2018
1 posts
Elanzer wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:34 pm
So far can-com has been great for me. They're a lot better to deal with than lightspeed and they work out cheaper for every plan if you're renting the modem (lightspeed charges $2.25 to rent a modem while can-com charges you $0) aside from the 30/5 plan being a couple dollars cheaper on lightspeed.

It's basically an identical service as lightspeed, and IMO it's better than dealing with shaw because if anything goes wrong at the house they send out a shaw tech anyways, but when you call them you're generally dealing with the techs directly instead of shaw level 1 customer support, so they're a lot more knowledgeable and easier to deal with.

One thing that sucks is that you can't use your own modem unless it's on the approved list by shaw - a couple weeks ago newegg had Zoom 5341J DOCSIS 3.0 refurbed modems on for $9.99 and I picked one up to use on can-com to get someone else set up, but shaw won't allow non-approved modems on the network even if it's fully compatible. Not really a big deal because can-com doesn't charge the modem rental fee like lightspeed does anyway.
Any idea how to find out what modems are approved?