Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Can-Com] Can-Com Internet (Western Canada / Shaw Service Territory)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 3:49 pm
Oct 10, 2016
169 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Just find out cancom has "modem with wifi router" (5.00 per month) now. hmm, may be in coming "free modem with wifi router" Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1095 posts
122 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
Yup, as a Can-com customer you are dependent on Shaw for fixing any problems but because you aren't a Shaw customer, you have to have Can-com act as the intermediary. And that can create delays and confusion. I recently experienced a 5 day service interruption which was entirely a Shaw issue but I feel took much longer to fix than it would have had Shaw been my ISP. The first 24 or so hours Can-com made me wait because Shaw had a scheduled maintenance downtime in my area (which was only supposed to last 4 - 6 hours). Can-com then contacted Shaw requesting a status update and apparently Shaw didn't tell them anything useful. Can-com's technical support availability isn't great for me - they are on PST time weekdays only and even though there is an "after hours emergency contact", said emergency Can-com contact was ALWAYS simply a recording stating it was not available (!). Can-com support (a very nice lady) would call me back periodically asking if my Internet was working. No explanation as to what Shaw might or might not be doing to fix things because I don't believe Shaw tells them anything.

Then after 5 full days it all just started working again (Shaw had a known issue in my area which was soon fixed for my neighbors but not for me). Frustrating, really really frustrating.

Until this issue arose, I was a satisfied Can-com customer. Now I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to pay a bit more and have direct access to the ISP who fixes any outages.
Feb 2, 2008
108 posts
6 upvotes
Alberta
ciuvak wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 1:41 am
So everything works now? Even through the router?
Yes, the wifi is working. I believe the problem was somehow related to the activation by Shaw.
Feb 2, 2008
108 posts
6 upvotes
Alberta
Ctrl-Z wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 11:49 pm
Yup, as a Can-com customer you are dependent on Shaw for fixing any problems but because you aren't a Shaw customer, you have to have Can-com act as the intermediary. And that can create delays and confusion. I recently experienced a 5 day service interruption which was entirely a Shaw issue but I feel took much longer to fix than it would have had Shaw been my ISP. The first 24 or so hours Can-com made me wait because Shaw had a scheduled maintenance downtime in my area (which was only supposed to last 4 - 6 hours). Can-com then contacted Shaw requesting a status update and apparently Shaw didn't tell them anything useful. Can-com's technical support availability isn't great for me - they are on PST time weekdays only and even though there is an "after hours emergency contact", said emergency Can-com contact was ALWAYS simply a recording stating it was not available (!). Can-com support (a very nice lady) would call me back periodically asking if my Internet was working. No explanation as to what Shaw might or might not be doing to fix things because I don't believe Shaw tells them anything.

Then after 5 full days it all just started working again (Shaw had a known issue in my area which was soon fixed for my neighbors but not for me). Frustrating, really really frustrating.

Until this issue arose, I was a satisfied Can-com customer. Now I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to pay a bit more and have direct access to the ISP who fixes any outages.
For sure Can-com's customers are not on the top of Shaw's priority list.
Oct 10, 2016
169 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Ctrl-Z wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 11:49 pm

Just wonder do you have cable TV with Shaw? (I think Shaw "turns" off the cable after the scheduled maintenance)
Actually, if Shaw's issue cannot fix at the live chat and they need to send a tech out, few days without service is a norm (unless it just starts working again itself).
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1095 posts
122 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
RobertL130 wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 10:58 am
Just wonder do you have cable TV with Shaw? (I think Shaw "turns" off the cable after the scheduled maintenance)
Actually, if Shaw's issue cannot fix at the live chat and they need to send a tech out, few days without service is a norm (unless it just starts working again itself).
No, I don't have cable TV. I probably will subscribe again to cable this winter with Shaw and if they offer discounted bundled Internet it will mean no more Can-com. The outage was solved without a Shaw tech being in my home, though one did show up a few days later because their "office" showed I had a really low signal. Actually I had a really high signal (from a booster that was installed years ago and now removed) and the Shaw office tech totally misread the signal reading.
Oct 10, 2016
169 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
It happened to me twice that the Shaw services restored itself (usually 4~5 hours later) after a tech visit was scheduled.
Anyway, it was one of my concerns too. For instance, when I was with Shaw at cow town, "live chat" could find out that I had a low signal and scheduled a booster installation. It is hard for can-com to do that.
Sep 24, 2018
3 posts
Alberta
I've been looking for an internet provider for a while now and refuse to pay Shaw or Telus' exorbitant prices and was concerned with Teksavvey's recent customer reviews so I was super happy when I found this post. one question I have is if anyone has used the Basicplus package for online gaming? I live by myself but occasionally play with friends in the evening and contacted their chat which 2 people answered (so A+ for customer service already) and both said that the 20mb should be enough but I might experience rubberbanding or lag. just wondering if anyone has experienced that and if I could upgrade to the next package if I need to? I'll be going with them regardless so a code would be cool too.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3599 posts
1178 upvotes
AB
Kinggk130 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 12:55 pm
I've been looking for an internet provider for a while now and refuse to pay Shaw or Telus' exorbitant prices and was concerned with Teksavvey's recent customer reviews so I was super happy when I found this post. one question I have is if anyone has used the Basicplus package for online gaming? I live by myself but occasionally play with friends in the evening and contacted their chat which 2 people answered (so A+ for customer service already) and both said that the 20mb should be enough but I might experience rubberbanding or lag. just wondering if anyone has experienced that and if I could upgrade to the next package if I need to? I'll be going with them regardless so a code would be cool too.
If you are the only user, 20Mb might be OK. Don't forget that you can always switch to a higher plan if you find lag issues when you actually start using the 20Mb plan. There is no risk in starting with a smaller plan and then upgrade later.
Sep 24, 2018
3 posts
Alberta
Thanks! just got off chat too and they confirmed that the first upgrade is free so I'll be signing up later today.
Oct 10, 2016
169 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Kinggk130 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 1:58 pm
Thanks! just got off chat too and they confirmed that the first upgrade is free so I'll be signing up later today.
Do you watch stuff online at 4K? If you do, you need the family plan.
Sep 24, 2018
3 posts
Alberta
RobertL130 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 7:26 pm
Do you watch stuff online at 4K? If you do, you need the family plan.
No I don't, buts that's good to know in case I upgrade my tv.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3599 posts
1178 upvotes
AB
Kinggk130 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 8:08 pm
No I don't, buts that's good to know in case I upgrade my tv.
You will definitely need at least 25Mbps for 4k streaming. Keep that in mind.
Sep 30, 2018
1 posts
Can anyone share the promo code for $10 off ? I will be signing up with can com in a couple of weeks.