Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Can-Com] Can-Com Internet (Western Canada / Shaw Service Territory)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 3:49 pm
Oct 10, 2016
169 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 11:35 am
Yes you can switch to any different plan one time for free. They ship very quickly.
BTW, how much do they charge to change the plan? thx
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3602 posts
1182 upvotes
AB
RobertL130 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 2:04 pm
BTW, how much do they charge to change the plan? thx
Not sure. Try to chat with them, they have this feature on the website.
Probably not relevant, but for moving the account it's $75.
"7a. One free move is available to our customers every two years. Moves more frequent than the two year period are subject to a fee of $75.00. The free move programme is not cumulative. "
Found here: https://www.can-com.com/Legal/Terms-Of-Service
Oct 10, 2016
169 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 2:13 pm
Not sure. Try to chat with them, they have this feature on the website.
Probably not relevant, but for moving the account it's $75.
"7a. One free move is available to our customers every two years. Moves more frequent than the two year period are subject to a fee of $75.00. The free move programme is not cumulative. "
Found here: https://www.can-com.com/Legal/Terms-Of-Service
wow, moving fee, that was so last decade; Shaw charged $60 for changing the service address before. However, unlike Shaw, Can-com internet does not offer those services (email, webspace ...).
Sep 16, 2011
106 posts
74 upvotes
Lethbridge
I contacted Can Com to ask if they were going to up their speeds after Shaw up'd their 150 and 300 packages for free, here is their response:
Can Com wrote:We are working on something to match the new "doubled" plans that will be offered from Shaw. The new subscriptions may require a modem upgrade. We'll have more information on this in about a month or so. I would like to point out though, these kinds of plans (300 Mbps and 600 Mbps) are completely overkill for the vast majority of Canadian users. The average Canadian household only needs about 15 Mbps of bandwidth for their needs.
Hopefully their prices remain competitive.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2146 posts
1231 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
seriosbrad wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:47 pm
I contacted Can Com to ask if they were going to up their speeds after Shaw up'd their 150 and 300 packages for free, here is their response:

Hopefully their prices remain competitive.
Did they mention anything about Boxing Day promos?
Mar 20, 2015
8 posts
3 upvotes
Edmonton
I've been a customer with Can-Com for nearly 2 years now. On the $60/120 mbps plan (no longer offered), but am typically getting closer to 140 mbps. Very happy with their overall service. I have had maybe 1 or 2 couple hour downtimes during this period and those were related to Shaw network problems. The switch experience from Shaw was easy because my cable line was still active at the time. In fact, for a few days, I had Shaw and Can-com internet (both getting 100 mbps+ each). Would highly recommend them. Their service guys personally respond to each email inquiry.

Talked to Can-Com the other day about higher speed plans in light of Shaw's recent speed increases to 300 and 600 mbps. They mentioned new plans would be released in the January. Hopefully, pricing remains competitive. During some promos, I know Shaw (on 2-year plans) has been close to what Can-Com has been offered. In particular, I hope there is increase in upload speeds as well.
Jun 17, 2007
192 posts
134 upvotes
British Columbia
Is anyone on can-com using the most basic 5 / 0.5mbit package? If so what's it's "true" speed on a speedtest?

I've been on the 20 / 1.5mbps package for nearly 2 years now, but it continually has given me 25 / 4.5mbps. If the 5mbit package gives slightly more it might be sufficient for my mother.

Great service. Pretty much no problems ever. Monthly internet bill is $32.09 and will drop to $31.50 or so in a month or two for the next loyalty discount.
Feb 17, 2014
50 posts
50 upvotes
Calgary
Elanzer wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 4:43 pm
Is anyone on can-com using the most basic 5 / 0.5mbit package? If so what's it's "true" speed on a speedtest?

I've been on the 20 / 1.5mbps package for nearly 2 years now, but it continually has given me 25 / 4.5mbps. If the 5mbit package gives slightly more it might be sufficient for my mother.

Great service. Pretty much no problems ever. Monthly internet bill is $32.09 and will drop to $31.50 or so in a month or two for the next loyalty discount.
I'm on the basic plan and the few times I've checked speed it's been around 5.5 mbps. Have had no problems watching vids at 1080p.

Honestly don't understand why so many people want internet 300, seems like overkill for the average consumer.
Jun 17, 2007
192 posts
134 upvotes
British Columbia
yycguy1 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 5:18 pm
I'm on the basic plan and the few times I've checked speed it's been around 5.5 mbps. Have had no problems watching vids at 1080p.

Honestly don't understand why so many people want internet 300, seems like overkill for the average consumer.
That's great to hear, 5.5mbps should do the trick then.

The entire time I was a teenager I had telus 3mbit and it was perfectly fine for everything, I just haven't kept track of how bloated the web is these days. The 25mbps I'm getting is more than enough for me and feels like a luxury, even downloading newer 50gb games I just go do something else or start the download before going out or to bed.

I think my mom is paying Lightspeed $41.95 per month for 15mbps, and she uses about 10gb per month only, if I can get her down to $25 per month mostly transparently she'll gladly make the smart choice and get me another referal bonus. She didn't notice the difference switching to Public Mobile on her phone which is capped at 3mbps on data, but then again she uses about 100mb there. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jan 19, 2019
2 posts
In Can Com internet pacs states that internet includes unlimited data.
Does it mean it'll have same speed all the time or speed will slow down after certain data usage ? Today Can Com service chat option is not available and I wonder if anybody will have an answer for this, here at this forum.
Anybody? Thank you.
Sep 16, 2011
106 posts
74 upvotes
Lethbridge
WesleyK20133 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 5:21 pm
In Can Com internet pacs states that internet includes unlimited data.
Does it mean it'll have same speed all the time or speed will slow down after certain data usage ? Today Can Com service chat option is not available and I wonder if anybody will have an answer for this, here at this forum.
Anybody? Thank you.
It's unlimited, you won't be neither data capped nor speed throttled. They do have a "fair use" policy in their Terms of Service, but I doubt any regular human being are breaking those terms.
Nov 18, 2011
69 posts
23 upvotes
EDMONTON
Has anyone got their gas and electricity with can com? I see that theyre posting a $5/ month disscount if you get internet,nautral gas and electricity from them in Alberta
Sep 16, 2011
106 posts
74 upvotes
Lethbridge
I moved away from Can-Com to re-join Shaw on the $60/m 300Mbps 12mo no contract deal.

Can-Com was not willing to price match their new $80 300Mbps package against Shaw, telling me they won't be lowering the prices unless CRTC asks them to. That said, I still enjoyed my time with Can-Com, and think they are a pretty great deal for the lower tiers.