Ongoing Deal Discussion

Can Com internet (Western Canada and Shaw territory)

Very good internet rates - Can Com

Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bluiis48 wrote: Absolutely agree. Divx you had some issues a while back, did you find a resolution although I think it was latency you were complaining about ?
You have really good memories. Yes I was getting 86~97ms ping on cancom due to routing over to vancouver, whereas shaw have local winnipeg routing which gets me about 16ms. I don't think it is an issue for most people though.
Aug 23, 2020
21 posts
31 upvotes
Winterpeg
How are your speeds divx? since I've moved over I'm lucky if I hit 300 (subscribed to the 750) I've seen 400 once but no where near what I expect. sitting in around ~60ms for ping times and 220-240Mbps down. Upload has been consistently 20+Mbps

when I had Shaw I would regularly get 300+ (on 300)
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Gatekeeper23 wrote: How are your speeds divx? since I've moved over I'm lucky if I hit 300 (subscribed to the 750) I've seen 400 once but no where near what I expect. sitting in around ~60ms for ping times and 220-240Mbps down. Upload has been consistently 20+Mbps

What does Can Com say about that, any excuses or explanation?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1354 posts
2023 upvotes
Bluiis48 wrote: What does Can Com say about that, any excuses or explanation?
I sense this may be an issue on Shaw's end where the modem provisioning is incorrect and/or there's an issue on the last mile from/at the node. Could also be a faulty modem, but I suspect in this case it's a Technicolor TC4400 which is a very good one.
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
flyjazz wrote: I sense this may be an issue on Shaw's end where the modem provisioning is incorrect and/or there's an issue on the last mile from/at the node. Could also be a faulty modem, but I suspect in this case it's a Technicolor TC4400 which is a very good one.
That’s what I was thinking, bonding problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1354 posts
2023 upvotes
Gatekeeper23 wrote: How are your speeds divx? since I've moved over I'm lucky if I hit 300 (subscribed to the 750) I've seen 400 once but no where near what I expect. sitting in around ~60ms for ping times and 220-240Mbps down. Upload has been consistently 20+Mbps

I'm curious about your results, are you getting the numbers while connected directly to the modem, or are they via the router with/without WiFi ?
Aug 23, 2020
21 posts
31 upvotes
Winterpeg
They cant find anything, Shaw has done testing as well. say they have it opened up to 852.4032 Mbps not dropping any packets

Shaw comments: Inspecting the Shaw Network, we see no evidence of any noise or impairments that would cause any issues for the End-User. OFDM, ICFR, vTDR and Pre-Equalization confirms no issues with noise or signal impairment. We have verified that there are no saturation issues on the node/CMTS and during our investigation, see no signs of self-saturation.

running a Hitron modem.

also hooked up a laptop directly to the modem and the results are pretty much the same. Testing time doesn't affect the results all that much either. (morning, day, night)
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Gatekeeper23 wrote: They cant find anything, Shaw has done testing as well. say they have it opened up to 852.4032 Mbps not dropping any packets

Shaw comments: Inspecting the Shaw Network, we see no evidence of any noise or impairments that would cause any issues for the End-User. OFDM, ICFR, vTDR and Pre-Equalization confirms no issues with noise or signal impairment. We have verified that there are no saturation issues on the node/CMTS and during our investigation, see no signs of self-saturation.

running a Hitron modem.

also hooked up a laptop directly to the modem and the results are pretty much the same. Testing time doesn't affect the results all that much either. (morning, day, night)
Any offer of a modem swap ? First instance noted here of a Hitron modem I think but if anyone else here has one that would be interesting.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
I was getting 260 on 300 plan with cancom where as I hit over 300 on Shaw 300, it seems cancom plan does not deliver as advertised however I'm willing to accept 260 on 300. I would not however accept 260 on 750 plan though, you should be pissed.
Anyway, I'm back on Shaw for other reasons, ping and speed is fine with Shaw.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1354 posts
2023 upvotes
Bluiis48 wrote: Any offer of a modem swap ? First instance noted here of a Hitron modem I think but if anyone else here has one that would be interesting.
If it's a loaner, it's likely a Hitron CODA-45 with a Puma 7 chipset. I would be inclined to use a Technicolor TC4400 with the Broadcom chipset if given a choice.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
flyjazz wrote: If it's a loaner, it's likely a Hitron CODA-45 with a Puma 7 chipset. I would be inclined to use a Technicolor TC4400 with the Broadcom chipset if given a choice.
They sent me the Technicolor as a loaner when I signed up last week. Great modem. As said before, consistently getting 800+ Mbps via lan on their 750 Mbps service. I'd certainly ask for a modem swap if getting such poor rates and Shaw says all is well.
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
I was just looking back to find your post because I remembered you got a good Technicolor modem. I am pretty sure Can Com would swap modem in interest of customer satisfaction.
Aug 23, 2020
21 posts
31 upvotes
Winterpeg
will ask them to send me one to try. will let you guys know how it goes.

it is a CODA-45
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bluiis48 wrote: I was just looking back to find your post because I remembered you got a good Technicolor modem. I am pretty sure Can Com would swap modem in interest of customer satisfaction.
I don't suppose you know who else offer 1gbit+ line in Winnipeg besides Shaw and MTS that doesn't suck? Cause Shaw/MTS charge about $140/mo.
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
divx wrote: I don't suppose you know who else offer 1gbit+ line in Winnipeg besides Shaw and MTS that doesn't suck? Cause Shaw/MTS charge about $140/mo.
Sorry, as I am in BC not the one to ask. I have looked on AEBC and Internet Lightspeed (as you probably have already) 750 max.Also they both use Cipherkey Vancouver to tie in. Teksavvy ? VMedia, Ciktel ? When I look it geolocates so try from there but most still show max 300Mbps.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bluiis48 wrote: Sorry, as I am in BC not the one to ask. I have looked on AEBC and Internet Lightspeed (as you probably have already) 750 max.Also they both use Cipherkey Vancouver to tie in. Teksavvy ? VMedia, Ciktel ? When I look it geolocates so try from there but most still show max 300Mbps.
Thanks for checking, that is also what I found in my research. Looks like 3rd party can't compete in the high end I suppose, even though high end here is old news in GTA/GVA.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2009
6219 posts
15392 upvotes
ABB Midnight Rider
divx wrote: Thanks for checking, that is also what I found in my research. Looks like 3rd party can't compete in the high end I suppose, even though high end here is old news in GTA/GVA.
Until the big 3 monopoly in this country is forced to lower their outrageous wholesale rates I can't imagine it is cost effective to compete at the high end. The west has never been competitive for gig speeds until just recently (Telus has had limited region fibre but Shaw is just stepping up to gig speeds+ now). Competition is a travesty in this country compared to most 1st world countries.
Aug 23, 2020
21 posts
31 upvotes
Winterpeg
I don't suppose you know who else offer 1gbit+ line in Winnipeg besides Shaw and MTS that doesn't suck? Cause Shaw/MTS charge about $140/mo.
inside WPG that's what we are limited to Bell doesn't even have fiber everywhere.
Jan 23, 2016
37 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just moved into new place, how do I sign up

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)