Hot Deals

[Can com internet (Western Canada and Shaw territory)] New internet rates - Can Com

[OP]
Nov 6, 2014
226 posts
180 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Kainroh wrote:
Oct 10th, 2019 8:01 am
I discovered (to my dismay) that Bluesky also gets cancelled when you drop Shaw's 300 Internet service. I am now completely free from Shaw and trying out this "Cordcutting" bandwagon. I might be interested in CipherTV as well. Currently just streaming to a FireTV stick.
I am sure you have searched for reviews without success, I have. It is not much help but here is a link to their sales pitch to the wholesale providers link here...
It is part of Cipherkey which is the backbone connection for your internet. It is legal and licensed according to their blurb and I wouldn’t doubt that because the company has much at stake. Technically it appears to be the same as Shaw and Telus with their TV over internet offerings. The television networks seem to be going a step further by offering their own subscription live and PVR services such as CBC Gem or BBC iPlayer which eliminates the telcos. Why not phone CanCom and explain your situation and see if they will agree to a short term trial. You can post your experience on RFD and if it is positive it will promote their sales, I know they monitor this forum even if they don’t participate.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1326 posts
1209 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd also be interested in hearing more about the user experience with CipherTV. I actually tried them out years ago, back when they had some free trials via an Android app, and it was kind of hit-and-miss at the time. Their channels didn't always work, and streaming was spotty. It's very difficult to get information from the ISPs that offer it, because they don't really know much about it, and CipherTV do not deal directly with customers. They are legal, but the CRTC mandates that they can only offer service through ISPs who control the local connection, not directly to end users. The few reviews I have seen over the years since I had my free trial suggest that it works a bit more consistently now, but still far from perfect. When I have asked ISPs if I can put the CipherTV app on my Android box instead of renting one from them, they either didn't know, or said No.
Apr 13, 2003
101 posts
42 upvotes
I've been using CipherTV for a year now. Here's my view on their service.

Strengths
- Android app for phone or cheap Chinese Android box gives reasonable quality video
- Can go backwards in the EPG one to two days and watch past shows
- PVR option records shows to CipherTV's servers
- This is probably the cheapest legitimate TV service considering the number of Canadian and American TV stations included in the basic package

Weaknesses
- Service issues are fairly frequent but usually minor, e.g. can't watch recorded shows some days
- CipherTV is rebroadcasting signals they receive out of the air so a few weak channels glitch a lot (they're working on a fix)
- TV station lineup changes slightly over time without any notice
- It takes a week or two after signing up for CipherTV for the EPG to fully populate. It's a bit annoying during this time period because holes in the EPG block you from scrolling up and down through the EPG. You can scroll forward or backward in the EPG to try get around these holes but it is a bit of a nuisance having to do this
- EPG breaks long shows into one-hour segments
- You have to pay $5/mo for their cheap Kit Kat Android box whether you use it or not
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2003
1701 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the insight on CipherTV. Ended up adding it to my cart, along with the 75 Mbps internet. Too bad I took too long to order and ended up missing the lower prices...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31301 posts
2748 upvotes
Winnipeg
just be sure to use referral code
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1326 posts
1209 upvotes
Vancouver
amberjill wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 7:02 pm
Thanks for the insight on CipherTV. Ended up adding it to my cart, along with the 75 Mbps internet. Too bad I took too long to order and ended up missing the lower prices...
Question for you or anyone:

If I'm switching from Shaw to Cancom, how long does the transition take? I presume you have to wait for the modem to arrive from Cancom, and then wait for Shaw to perform the switch. How long was cable internet service down in the transition? Does changing speed affect the transition time?
Jan 22, 2016
56 posts
24 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2019 12:55 pm
Question for you or anyone:

If I'm switching from Shaw to Cancom, how long does the transition take? I presume you have to wait for the modem to arrive from Cancom, and then wait for Shaw to perform the switch. How long was cable internet service down in the transition? Does changing speed affect the transition time?
I ordered on a Monday, and the modem arrived in Winnipeg on Friday. The activation date was supposed to be the following Monday, but Shaw didn't provision the modem for Can Com for about three days. After that it started working. (Can Com emailed me to let me know that Shaw was showing abnormal RF levels (I hadn't had Shaw in over a year), so a technician came out a few days later)

The best thing to do is keep Shaw connected until you know that the Can Com modem can get online. Verify everything is working, then call Shaw to cancel.
May 11, 2013
100 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
I see there prices went up. Does anyone know how long we are locked into the lower prices for?
[OP]
Nov 6, 2014
226 posts
180 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
kevothree wrote:
Oct 13th, 2019 12:59 pm
I see there prices went up. Does anyone know how long we are locked into the lower prices for?
If you are on the lower price it will probably stay that way until you cancel. Go online to the “ my subscription “ section where you can see your next month billing.
Dec 28, 2015
3 posts
6 upvotes
kevothree wrote:
Oct 13th, 2019 12:59 pm
Their response was "Your subscription rate will still be intact and will never change unless we receive a ruling from CRTC to modify it." when I asked.
Mar 25, 2006
352 posts
49 upvotes
Victoria
Wouldn't you know it, looks like I just missed the price decrease. I've been playing the "phone Shaw each year at renewal time" game to see what they can do. I didn't want to increase my service speed, and they couldn't match, so Cancom it is. Atleast I won't need to call every year.

From the reviews I've read, it looks like Cancom service is just as good as Shaw, which I'm hoping turns out to be true.
Apr 13, 2003
101 posts
42 upvotes
Just a warning to anyone that ends up cancelling their service with Can-com... make sure you return every item they sent you when you signed up.

I got dinged $45 because I forgot some things - $17 for each cable I didn't send back (low quality generic audio and HDMI cables that you could easily buy for less than $2 each and the worst part is I did send them an HDMI cable but maybe it wasn't the exact one they originally sent me) and another $11 for a bracket that I forgot I had since I never used it. I wish they would have let me know which items they expected to be returned because I could have easily sent everything to them if I knew what they wanted. After being with them for a year, it's difficult to remember exactly which accessories they sent me.
Oct 8, 2006
480 posts
250 upvotes
Okanagan Valley
bsp wrote:
Oct 29th, 2019 7:31 pm
Just a warning to anyone that ends up cancelling their service with Can-com... make sure you return every item they sent you when you signed up.

I got dinged $45 because I forgot some things - $17 for each cable I didn't send back (low quality generic audio and HDMI cables that you could easily buy for less than $2 each and the worst part is I did send them an HDMI cable but maybe it wasn't the exact one they originally sent me) and another $11 for a bracket that I forgot I had since I never used it. I wish they would have let me know which items they expected to be returned because I could have easily sent everything to them if I knew what they wanted. After being with them for a year, it's difficult to remember exactly which accessories they sent me.
thanks...good to know....now I just have to remember Astonished Face
[OP]
Nov 6, 2014
226 posts
180 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Assume you took Cipher tv because with internet only all I got was a yellow cat 5 cable which I used to connect to my router and is still in place. Surprised they are doing that if you were with them for a while, sad. To help with earlier posted questions how was Cipher TV ?
Apr 13, 2003
101 posts
42 upvotes
Yes, I had cipher TV so they sent a coax cable and network cable for the modem and an HDMI cable and audio cable (I think it had 3.5mm plugs) for CipherTV. Of course, they also sent an air mouse with USB dongle, the bracket for the CipherTV box and the power cables for the modem and Cipher TV box.

If a person only sent back the modem and the CipherTV box, they'd be charged about $100 for the missing cables. On a positive note, after I contacted them, they were willing to refund the charges if I sent the cables back to them.

I liked CipherTV. You could tell they were tweaking it on a regular basis because there were random issues that appeared every few days but they'd be gone a few hours later. I really liked the option to go backwards in the guide and watch a show that was on a few hours earlier. Plus it's good that the shows are recorded to CipherTV's servers so you can mark a show to be recorded in the guide and even if there was a power failure or something similar, the show will still be recorded.

The only reason I left CipherTV is because my wife likes classic TV shows and those disappeared over time. They were getting channels like H&I, MeTV and Start TV but they disappeared over time. MeTV glitched a lot so they turned it off while they were upgrading the antenna to improve its reception.

Edit: I also liked the Android app they had. It worked really well on my cheap no name Chinese Android boxes and on my phone. However, they only allow two instances of the app to be running simultaneously for each account.