Home & Garden

Can contractor work on interlocking stones job during lock down ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2021 1:27 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9053 posts
764 upvotes

Can contractor work on interlocking stones job during lock down ?

I see lof of people in the neighborhood are doing? But just want to confirm before doing mine Slightly Smiling Face Thanks
42 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1268 posts
698 upvotes
Oshawa
Construction

Construction activities or projects and related supporting services, including demolition and land surveying, are allowed.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2875 posts
1645 upvotes
Mississauga
Construction activities are allowed from what I understand.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10391 posts
5607 upvotes
Paris
Construction was only shut down once last April.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1679 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, can be done.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10588 posts
3682 upvotes
Ottawa
rdx wrote: Doug Ford just announced non essential construction will be shut. I guess interlocking stones job will not be allowed during this round of shut down.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5990092
According to this page straight from the Ontario government website (Schedule 2, Section 15): Snow removal and landscaping are considered essential services

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200082

I just tweeted the same question to Doug Ford and Cced a few members of his cabinet. Let's see if I can get a reply and will update here.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1814 posts
1566 upvotes
Ottawa
canabiz wrote: According to this page straight from the Ontario government website (Schedule 2, Section 15): Snow removal and landscaping are considered essential services

I just tweeted the same question to Doug Ford and Cced a few members of his cabinet. Let's see if I can get a reply and will update here.
That hasn't been updated yet following today's announcement.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13870 posts
8569 upvotes
Markham
canabiz wrote: According to this page straight from the Ontario government website (Schedule 2, Section 15): Snow removal and landscaping are considered essential services

Landscaping under that regulation might be referring to grass cutting/plant maintenance eg. tree trimming.
I think it's the contractor who is responsible for determining if they can work or not.

Personally I think this is non-essential construction and they are not-working. If they do work, beware if you aren't fantastic with neighbours, you might get a visit from bylaw.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 31, 2017
333 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: I see lof of people in the neighborhood are doing? But just want to confirm before doing mine Slightly Smiling Face Thanks
I'm glad you have your priorities straight
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10588 posts
3682 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: Landscaping under that regulation might be referring to grass cutting/plant maintenance eg. tree trimming.
I think it's the contractor who is responsible for determining if they can work or not.

Personally I think this is non-essential construction and they are not-working. If they do work, beware if you aren't fantastic with neighbours, you might get a visit from bylaw.
Yep, I also asked the same question on Twitter to the Mayor of Ottawa, my Councillor, the City of Ottawa, Ottawa Public Health, and the Ottawa Citizen but no answers so far.

I am guessing there will be more clarity in the days ahead.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3046 posts
1638 upvotes
Mississauga
Does that mean my bathroom reno scheduled for the first week of May, that I booked last November can't proceed...???

Hmmm....
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14833 posts
11173 upvotes
Tarrana
Things I have scheduled or in the middle of scheduling:

Blinds throughout
Painting throughout
Pot lights next week
AC installation
Security system installation

Wife is on my ass for not having all this stuff done already.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10391 posts
5607 upvotes
Paris
JayLove06 wrote: Wife is on my ass for not having all this stuff done already.
I sure hope her being on your ass is your thing as she will be spending 6 weeks there.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1224 posts
687 upvotes
Ripley
mau_mau wrote: Does that mean my bathroom reno scheduled for the first week of May, that I booked last November can't proceed...???

Hmmm....
I would not want people inside my house right now. Especially people that are inside multiple houses a day. This is why the government has to make restrictions - because people don't have any common sense. That worker goes to at least 2 houses a day. Also goes home and is exposed to all of the germs that all of the people he lives with have encountered. He has to go to the workshop and is exposed to all of the germs that his co-workers (and their families) have been exposed to. And then he needs to buy supplies. And so on and so on.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3046 posts
1638 upvotes
Mississauga
zeddy wrote: I would not want people inside my house right now. Especially people that are inside multiple houses a day. This is why the government has to make restrictions - because people don't have any common sense. That worker goes to at least 2 houses a day. Also goes home and is exposed to all of the germs that all of the people he lives with have encountered. He has to go to the workshop and is exposed to all of the germs that his co-workers (and their families) have been exposed to. And then he needs to buy supplies. And so on and so on.
Hmmmm, I understand your viewpoint. We wouldn't be anywhere near the workers as we'd be on different floors, we'd be masked up and sanitize everything daily.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14833 posts
11173 upvotes
Tarrana
Jerico wrote: I sure hope her being on your ass is your thing as she will be spending 6 weeks there.
Most likely longer. I’m so pissed off. Washer and dryer will be in my living room and not getting used for 2 frigging months.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1814 posts
1566 upvotes
Ottawa
gamebird wrote: http://www.101morefm.ca/news/local-news ... struction/

According to i, residential construction work is allowed. So home renovation and landscaping should be ok?
I wouldn't trust that list until it's published by the province.

All previous construction related shutdowns have clearly stated that residential is allowed only if the work is already in progress.

The government hasn't fully updated the detailed list yet, but that's likely the case again.

I have two jobs scheduled and one I'm finalizing the contract for now, so I too hope it's not the case. Mine are low risk for all involved - exterior work with crews of 1-2 people.