Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1483 posts
1278 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Can COVID 19 be in pet food...?

How can we prevent pets from getting the corona virus from their food supply...? I see no resources online addressing this, especially given a lot of the food comes from China...
25 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3836 posts
1619 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Please show me what cat food comes from China.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1483 posts
1278 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The ingredients undoubtedly do
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
3836 posts
1619 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If you are that concerned, go raw.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6113 posts
1077 upvotes
WinterSleep wrote: How can we prevent pets from getting the corona virus from their food supply...? I see no resources online addressing this, especially given a lot of the food comes from China...
What makes you think that imported pet food/ingredients would put your pet at risk?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1327 posts
969 upvotes
British Columbia
The virus has no transmission to animals. Dogs and cats have their own types of Coronavirus that likewise are not transmissible to us.

If your concern was can it live on surfaces and be transmitted to you -- maybe. But the same would go for anything from China and as of now there are no reports of this being an issue. Remember food is processed under high tempuratures that kill viruses.

The far bigger concern to me would be pet food supply if this keeps up. Everything being sourced from China means there's going to be a shortage in the supply line soon...
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6113 posts
1077 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: Better be safe than sorry
Doing things to maintain safety should be based on actual risk though.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3181 posts
522 upvotes
Fromm Kibble. According to the manufacturer, it is made in the U.S. and none of the ingredients originate from China. I did ask if the food product itself was made in the U.S. from ingredients made in China and was told "no". I was very careful about that. But who knows?

A few of the companies I contacted about other foods told me that the ingredients were 50/50 as 50% being sourced from China (not just pet food), but they were very "careful". I would prefer that I not have to go through hoops to find this out - just state it under the FAQs.

I agree with Karala, that there will be shortages and not just of pet food - of everything. Human and pet meds as well as consumables and other non-consumable products. It has already started.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3027 posts
2005 upvotes
Canadia
WinterSleep wrote: How can we prevent pets from getting the corona virus from their food supply...? I see no resources online addressing this, especially given a lot of the food comes from China...
Think about canned food for a moment. It doesn't go bad for years because after the can is sealed, it is heated to kill any microorganisms in the food.

Related side note: Are you also afraid of catching influenza from canned cat food?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3921 posts
3452 upvotes
The NORTH
retrothing wrote: Think about canned food for a moment. It doesn't go bad for years because after the can is sealed, it is heated to kill any microorganisms in the food.

Related side note: Are you also afraid of catching influenza from canned cat food?
Of course not, influenza isn't today's buzzword or boogie man...
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24519 posts
1732 upvotes
Markham, ON
maybe its time to wake up and do some reading?
Dec 20, 2005
836 posts
230 upvotes
You've got to be kidding me lmfao
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2926 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
Blanche123 wrote: Fromm Kibble. According to the manufacturer, it is made in the U.S. and none of the ingredients originate from China. I did ask if the food product itself was made in the U.S. from ingredients made in China and was told "no". I was very careful about that. But who knows?

A few of the companies I contacted about other foods told me that the ingredients were 50/50 as 50% being sourced from China (not just pet food), but they were very "careful". I would prefer that I not have to go through hoops to find this out - just state it under the FAQs.

I agree with Karala, that there will be shortages and not just of pet food - of everything. Human and pet meds as well as consumables and other non-consumable products. It has already started.
Check to see if your pet food has ingredients coming from South Korea, Iran, Egypt, and Italy while you're at it.